MiSTer Super Attract Mode (SAM) is now available - the first game screensaver for your MiSTer!

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
zorrobandito

Re: MiSTer Super Attract Mode (SAM) is now available - the first game screensaver for your MiSTer!

Unread post by zorrobandito »

This was great and really easy to set up. Thanks for all the work!
zorrobandito

Re: MiSTer Super Attract Mode (SAM) is now available - the first game screensaver for your MiSTer!

Unread post by zorrobandito »

Ross_Jolet wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:32 pm I’ve modified the .ini file several times not to include the cd systems, yet it still runs those systems. Is anyone else having this problem?
No, not so far. The systems I dropped have disappeared from the rotation. Have you edited the right version of the ini? It should be in Scripts.
Mellified

Unread post by Mellified »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:59 pm It only selects arcade games now for some reason, even though the ini file is still set to run all systems.
This suggests it's having a problem finding games for the other systems. If you want to see more run the script via ssh.

Code: Select all

/media/fat/Scripts/MiSTer_SAM_on.sh
Ross_Jolet wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:32 pm I’ve modified the .ini file several times not to include the cd systems, yet it still runs those systems. Is anyone else having this problem?
Please submit a copy of your INI file via GitHub so we can take a look.
https://github.com/mrchrisster/MiSTer_SAM/issues

redsteakraw wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:21 am If I go into a game and start playing it will continue to cycle after 3 minutes.
It may be the Daemonbright controllers aren't being picked up like other controllers. You can use another controller, keyboard, or mouse to stop the game cycling. If you want to troubleshoot further SSH to your MiSTer and run

dmesg | grep input
. Please submit a GitHub issue with that information.
https://github.com/mrchrisster/MiSTer_SAM/issues

keilmillerjr wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:59 am Try using $RANDOM and and select the game or core within the list instead of shuf. I can provide an example or a pr, but have no way of testing actual script on hardware.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Stupid Dufus wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:06 am Would it be possible to have it keep a record of what games it's cycled though?
We now have a public test branch, which has a timestamped log of all the games launched. We don't keep it between runs though, as it is written to memory only to avoid wear on the microSD card.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Mellified wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:18 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:59 pm It only selects arcade games now for some reason, even though the ini file is still set to run all systems.
This suggests it's having a problem finding games for the other systems. If you want to see more run the script via ssh.
Like I mentioned it worked with the previous version (when it suddenly did run, by itself right after starting the MiSTer).
I don't have and TG16 CD games, could that make it fail to load any other non-arcade games?

EDIT:
SSH output indeed indicates the script can't find valid games for the non-arcade cores. I have regular working sets for them though, in the correct games/corename directories, even with correct case.

And then this error gets repeated between rom searches:
"find: paths must precede expression: Update_MiSTerBIOS.sh
Usage: find [-H] [-L] [-P] [-Olevel] [-D help|tree|search|stat|rates|opt|exec] [path...] [expression]"
zakk4223

Unread post by zakk4223 »

keilmillerjr wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:59 am
Mellified wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:26 am
Stupid Dufus wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:06 am Would it be possible to have it keep a record of what games it's cycled though? My thinking is that if it did this, you could have the script cycle through all the user's titles before repeating them again.
Interesting idea! We've noticed that SAM doesn't seem as random as we'd like. We're definitely considering how to address this. I'll add this to the list of ideas!
Try using $RANDOM and and select the game or core within the list instead of shuf. I can provide an example or a pr, but have no way of testing actual script on hardware.

https://github.com/mrchrisster/MiSTer_S ... AM.sh#L221
The rom choices are still going to be at the mercy of partun's random algorithm (when they are in zip files, which I suspect many are). Regardless, "real" randomness isn't what people actually want when they ask for something like this. They want randomness that's biased against 'recent' choices. Much more annoying to implement.
Mellified

LamerDeluxe wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:57 pm And then this error gets repeated between rom searches:
Usage: find [-H] [-L] [-P] [-Olevel] [-D help|tree|search|stat|rates|opt|exec] [path...] [expression]"
That error is... bizarre. I don't know why you'd be seeing that. It suggests that SAM is trying to look in the /media/fat/Scripts/ directory for games. At least that's the only reason I can think of you'd see Update_MiSTerBIOS.sh referenced. That's not even part of SAM!

My only thought is to have you delete everything SAM related and start over. Something is not right. I suggest something like this via ssh to clean up:

rm -fr /media/fat/MiSTer_SAM /media/fat/Scripts/.MiSTer_SAM /media/fat/Scripts/MiSTer_SAM_off.sh /media/fat/Scripts/MiSTer_SAM.ini /media/fat/Scripts/MiSTer_SAM_now.sh /media/fat/Scripts/MiSTer_SAM_on.sh
If the current release version doesn't work you could try the test branch version, which has more logging via ssh.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Mellified wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:24 am
LamerDeluxe wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:57 pm And then this error gets repeated between rom searches:
That error is... bizarre. I don't know why you'd be seeing that. It suggests that SAM is trying to look in the /media/fat/Scripts/ directory for games. At least that's the only reason I can think of you'd see Update_MiSTerBIOS.sh referenced. That's not even part of SAM!

My only thought is to have you delete everything SAM related and start over. Something is not right. I suggest something like this via ssh to clean up:

rm -fr /media/fat/MiSTer_SAM /media/fat/Scripts/.MiSTer_SAM /media/fat/Scripts/MiSTer_SAM_off.sh /media/fat/Scripts/MiSTer_SAM.ini /media/fat/Scripts/MiSTer_SAM_now.sh /media/fat/Scripts/MiSTer_SAM_on.sh
If the current release version doesn't work you could try the test branch version, which has more logging via ssh.
I removed everything, including old attract mode scripts and folders and reinstalled the MiSTer_SAM_on script but it didn't make a difference.

I think I might know what is causing it. For all of the used console cores I have the games in alphabet sub-folders of the cores folder in fat/games. These are folders, not zip files (I should probably zip them), the only files that are the 'root' of the cores game folder are bios roms. Though I just noticed that is not the case with MegaCD, which also doesn't work... hmm.

I guess I need to do more investigating and try that test branch version as well.

Still getting these kinds of messages on repeat until the core is blacklisted:
Let Mortal Kombat begin!
find: paths must precede expression: Update_MiSTerBIOS.sh
Usage: find [-H] [-L] [-P] [-Olevel] [-D help|tree|search|stat|rates|opt|exec] [path...] [expression]
ERROR: Failed 1 times. No valid game found for core: snes rom:
keilmillerjr

Unread post by keilmillerjr »

zakk4223 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:02 pm
keilmillerjr wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:59 am
Mellified wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:26 am
Interesting idea! We've noticed that SAM doesn't seem as random as we'd like. We're definitely considering how to address this. I'll add this to the list of ideas!
Try using $RANDOM and and select the game or core within the list instead of shuf. I can provide an example or a pr, but have no way of testing actual script on hardware.

https://github.com/mrchrisster/MiSTer_S ... AM.sh#L221
The rom choices are still going to be at the mercy of partun's random algorithm (when they are in zip files, which I suspect many are). Regardless, "real" randomness isn't what people actually want when they ask for something like this. They want randomness that's biased against 'recent' choices. Much more annoying to implement.
I don't understand what partnuns random algorithm is. Regardless, it would take more time to shuffle a list than to select a random line/index from a list.

If people do not know what they want, then I can't help them. Perhaps they have Too Many Roms Syndrome.

With squirrel lang, I had to figure out an alternative method than the built in random function. It always generates random numbers based on the same seed. B.S.
Mellified

After a lot of feedback, hard work, tears, and sweat we're very excited to bring you Super Attract Mode 2.0 for the MiSTer FPGA!
  • A menu - tell SAM what you want with most controllers or a keyboard
  • Per-core game exclusion lists
  • Directory exclusion list
  • See a timer until the next game (ssh only)
  • Custom game directory support (usb0)
  • Expanded controller detection support
  • NeoGeo compatibility improvements
  • More things that are definitely cool that we absolutely didn't forget
Get it now at https://github.com/mrchrisster/MiSTer_SAM
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

I've just managed to fix the problem I was having, error messages involving Update_MiSTerBIOS.sh, by deleting that script and all other scripts that turned out to be related to the old RetroDriven update scripts. It used to only pick arcade games and now it picks other systems as well.

Still completely incomprehensible how that bug works.
Mellified

LamerDeluxe wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:51 pm I've just managed to fix the problem I was having, error messages involving Update_MiSTerBIOS.sh, by deleting that script and all other scripts that turned out to be related to the old RetroDriven update scripts. It used to only pick arcade games and now it picks other systems as well.

Yeah, that is a mystery! I'm so glad you got it all working now though. Have you tried the new menu?
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Mellified wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:10 am
LamerDeluxe wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:51 pm I've just managed to fix the problem I was having, error messages involving Update_MiSTerBIOS.sh, by deleting that script and all other scripts that turned out to be related to the old RetroDriven update scripts. It used to only pick arcade games and now it picks other systems as well.

Yeah, that is a mystery! I'm so glad you got it all working now though. Have you tried the new menu?
Yes, I did, really cool! And a handy way to test if a certain platform works.
hiddenbyleaves

Unread post by hiddenbyleaves »

Incredible!!
hipsofjw

Unread post by hipsofjw »

Has anyone else tested the offline mode? I copied the .ini and .sh files into my Scripts folder and the five files from the github folder into Scripts/.MiSTer_SAM. When I run the script, I get a message saying that SAM will start running in 10 seconds. Then 10 seconds later, it says that I'm not connected to the internet. Any idea what I'm messing up?
Mellified

hipsofjw wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:33 am Has anyone else tested the offline mode? I copied the .ini and .sh files into my Scripts folder and the five files from the github folder into Scripts/.MiSTer_SAM. When I run the script, I get a message saying that SAM will start running in 10 seconds. Then 10 seconds later, it says that I'm not connected to the internet. Any idea what I'm messing up?
I don't think you're messing anything up. The default flow tries to self-update, install the autoplay feature, and start SAM immediately. Instead you can press "up" to enter the menu and enable autoplay that way. It won't need an Internet connection from that point. I'll make a note to improve our instructions!
hipsofjw

Mellified wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:58 amI don't think you're messing anything up. The default flow tries to self-update, install the autoplay feature, and start SAM immediately. Instead you can press "up" to enter the menu and enable autoplay that way. It won't need an Internet connection from that point. I'll make a note to improve our instructions!
Ah! That makes sense. I'll give it a shot when I get home this evening. Thanks for the help.

Side note: github is a restricted website where I live and adding a VPN to my router is not really possible currently. Being able to use stuff like this in offline mode and update all on my PC helps me out so much.
hipsofjw

Mellified wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:58 am
hipsofjw wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:33 am Has anyone else tested the offline mode? I copied the .ini and .sh files into my Scripts folder and the five files from the github folder into Scripts/.MiSTer_SAM. When I run the script, I get a message saying that SAM will start running in 10 seconds. Then 10 seconds later, it says that I'm not connected to the internet. Any idea what I'm messing up?
I don't think you're messing anything up. The default flow tries to self-update, install the autoplay feature, and start SAM immediately. Instead you can press "up" to enter the menu and enable autoplay that way. It won't need an Internet connection from that point. I'll make a note to improve our instructions!
Finally found some time sit down and try this. For me, hitting up just seems to restart the timer and doesn't enter me into the menu.
Mellified

hipsofjw wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:44 am
Finally found some time sit down and try this. For me, hitting up just seems to restart the timer and doesn't enter me into the menu.
From the controller or keyboard? If you are using the controller make sure you've configured it in the MiSTer main menu (F12 -> "Define joystick buttons").
hipsofjw

Mellified wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:01 am

From the controller or keyboard? If you are using the controller make sure you've configured it in the MiSTer main menu (F12 -> "Define joystick buttons").
Two different keyboards and two different controllers. All 4 are regularly used with the MiSTer and have their inputs defined.
Mellified

hipsofjw wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:25 am
Mellified wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:01 am
Two different keyboards and two different controllers. All 4 are regularly used with the MiSTer and have their inputs defined.
Please do an auto-update and try again. The keyboard method to enter the menu is the same used by Update_All - does it work for you with that script?
Mellified

hipsofjw wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:25 am Two different keyboards and two different controllers. All 4 are regularly used with the MiSTer and have their inputs defined.
Thought of one more thing... you are pushing up on the controller D-pad - not the stick? And up on the keyboard arrow keys? No special keyboard modes or functions on?

I assume you are trying from the Scripts menu. Does it work from ssh?

Worst case you can access it from ssh with the command:

/media/fat/Scripts/MiSTer_SAM_on.sh menu
crabfists

Unread post by crabfists »

Been using this script quite a bit as some eye candy to have on in the background. I love it. Thanks for making it!

On the gitgub page I've noticed you have a web frontend that tells you which games are coming up. Is that an actual feature or a mockup?
Mellified

crabfists wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:04 pm Been using this script quite a bit as some eye candy to have on in the background. I love it. Thanks for making it!

On the gitgub page I've noticed you have a web frontend that tells you which games are coming up. Is that an actual feature or a mockup?
Thanks for the kind words! Glad you're enjoying it.

The list of games is available two ways.
  • ssh: When SAM is running connect via ssh and run this command to see the output:

/media/fat/Scripts/MiSTer_SAM_on.sh monitor
    You can also start SAM from ssh to see the output:

/media/fat/Scripts/MiSTer_SAM_on.sh start
  • text: The current game is stored in a text file. You can view it from ssh with this command:

cat /tmp/SAM_Game.txt
  • text: A log of the games shown in the last SAM run is available as well. You can view it pressing "F9" from the main MiSTer menu or ssh with:

cat /tmp/SAM_Games.log
Mellified

Recently the tty2oled project added support for arbitrary text and different font sizes. I'm testing support for Super Attract Mode!

I could use testers if anyone has the tty2oled setup!
IMG_1029.gif
IMG_1029.gif (3.54 MiB) Viewed 12178 times
Mellified

tty2oled support has been added to Super Attract Mode! You can update by running MiSTer_SAM_on.sh and waiting.

You will need to enable support for tty2oled in the MiSTer_SAM.ini - it is not on by default. Of course, tty2oled will display the corename as usual if you don't enable this support.

Please post any issues here.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Mellified wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:55 pm tty2oled support has been added to Super Attract Mode! You can update by running MiSTer_SAM_on.sh and waiting.
It works great :D thanks for your project.

I don't know how it looks like at your end but on my setup (actually updated) it seems to me that on the top line
some pixels on top of the characters are cropped (not to see) and there is one space (too much?) in front of the text.
Photo-2021-06-21-19-16-24_7056.jpg
Photo-2021-06-21-19-16-24_7056.jpg (45.59 KiB) Viewed 10489 times
After I changed line 644 from

echo "000,9,1, ${1}" > "${ttydevice}"
to

echo "000,10,1,${1}" > "${ttydevice}"
or

echo "000,11,1,${1}" > "${ttydevice}"
it looks better to me.

Photo-2021-06-21-19-19-16_7057.jpg
Photo-2021-06-21-19-19-16_7057.jpg (50.34 KiB) Viewed 10489 times

Btw, I don't know if you saw it but the latest Version of the tty2oled Arduino Program got enhancements
for Geometric Figures which allows you to clean up display areas.
Photo-2021-06-19-15-11-43_7046.jpg
Photo-2021-06-19-15-11-43_7046.jpg (22.18 KiB) Viewed 10489 times
Photo-2021-06-19-16-38-33_7048.jpg
Photo-2021-06-19-16-38-33_7048.jpg (21.38 KiB) Viewed 10489 times
Go to viewtopic.php?p=28267#p28267 for more details.

My MiSTer Add-On-Projects tty2oled, i2c2oled, SNAC2IEC
You can donate by sending a Postcard to me.

Mellified

venice wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:11 pm It works great :D thanks for your project.
I improved SAM today with a more consistent handling of the s60tty2oled daemon. I added a fix so SAM doesn't inadvertently kill the inotifywait daemon tty2oled is using. I also included the fix you suggested for the top line of text. I'd noticed it but forgot to go back and investigate.

I did see the new commands and capabilities. I haven't had time to dig in and figure out how to use it yet, but I have some ideas!

Thanks for your hard work on tty2oled!

P.S. Please remove the protective shipping cover sticker from your screen! :lol:
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Mellified wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:59 pm P.S. Please remove the protective shipping cover sticker from your screen! :lol:
Done ;)

Would you like to test an new Arduino Program Version?
The new Command Format makes the "att" obsolete and Text or Geo Commands need only one line.
The new Version is actually still compatible with the old "att" Command's and the new ones.

Examples

"CMDCLS"               Clear Screeen
"CMDTXT,[Parameter]"   Text-Ouput,       Parameter-Format = "f,c,x,y,[Text]
"CMDGEO,[Parmeter]"    Geometric-Output, Parameter-Format = "g,c,x,y,i,j,k"
And the new Version add the Possibility to Update the ESP32 Over The Air (Wireless).

Mellified

venice wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:16 am Would you like to test an new Arduino Program Version?
Sounds great! Happy to help test.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Mellified wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:23 am Sounds great! Happy to help test.
Thx, Great!
Goto https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tt ... SB_Testing
and follow the Readme.

Ask Questions and Report Issues in the tty2oled Thread viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1887