MiSTer Super Attract Mode (SAM) is now available - the first game screensaver for your MiSTer!

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
UScr00ge

Re: MiSTer Super Attract Mode (SAM) is now available - the first game screensaver for your MiSTer!

Unread post by UScr00ge »

MiSTer_SAM has been working fantasticaly for months until I performed a recent update of the script and an update of MiSTer. Now it seems like it the selection process of a ROM bugs out on any system other than MAME. You can actually see the script fail to make it all the way through the directory structure ... it stops midway through the menu during the process of selecting a rom. I've seen it do it for PCE, NES and several other systems. Nothing with my ROM structure has changed.

Thinking about starting troubleshooting by deleting my MiSTer_SAM.ini file and see if it goes a way. If it works I'll just migrate my exclusions to the new INI file. Anyone else having any issues like this?

edit: Deleting the ini made no difference
UScr00ge

Re: MiSTer Super Attract Mode (SAM) is now available - the first game screensaver for your MiSTer!

I made a video showing what happens when the SAM script fails to load a game ...
9jThyY5.mp4
(2.62 MiB) Downloaded 132 times

I kicked off SAM from an SSH window on my PC to show the issue. In the terminal window, this is the log that appeared at the time of the failed load:

Code: Select all

/media/fat/Scripts#  Removing other instances of S93mistersam... Done!
 Stopping activity monitoring... Done!
 Quickstarting SAM... Done!
 Let Mortal Kombat begin!
 Removing other instances of MiSTer_SAM_MCP... Done!
 Stopping activity monitoring...find: paths must precede expression: `Update_MiSTerBIOS.sh'
find: possible unquoted pattern after predicate `-iname'?
kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] pid | jobspec ... or kill -l [sigspec]
 Done!
 Starting MiSTer Super Attract Mode...
 Monitoring controller /dev/input/js0...
 Monitoring controller /dev/input/js1...
 Monitoring controller /dev/input/js2...
 Monitoring mouse activity...
 Monitoring keyboard hidraw1...
 Monitoring keyboard hidraw4...
 Monitoring keyboard hidraw5...
 Done!
 Starting now on the SNK NeoGeo: Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 (Korean) (rbff2k)
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

UScr00ge wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:52 pm I made a video showing what happens when the SAM script fails to load a game ...

I kicked off SAM from an SSH window on my PC to show the issue. In the terminal window, this is the log that appeared at the time of the failed load:

/media/fat/Scripts#  Removing other instances of S93mistersam... Done!
 Stopping activity monitoring... Done!
 Quickstarting SAM... Done!
 Let Mortal Kombat begin!
 Removing other instances of MiSTer_SAM_MCP... Done!
 Stopping activity monitoring...find: paths must precede expression: `Update_MiSTerBIOS.sh'
find: possible unquoted pattern after predicate `-iname'?
kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] pid | jobspec ... or kill -l [sigspec]
 Done!
 Starting MiSTer Super Attract Mode...
 Monitoring controller /dev/input/js0...
 Monitoring controller /dev/input/js1...
 Monitoring controller /dev/input/js2...
 Monitoring mouse activity...
 Monitoring keyboard hidraw1...
 Monitoring keyboard hidraw4...
 Monitoring keyboard hidraw5...
 Done!
 Starting now on the SNK NeoGeo: Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 (Korean) (rbff2k)
I'm having a similar problem. I've just converted my MegaCD images to chd and they work when loaded by hand. They are located in media/fat/games/MegaCD on the SD Card. MiSTer SAM tries to open the game but it ends with the file selector opened.
It also doesn't like it when games are individually zipped and it will fail in a similar way then. I noticed this with the Genesis and SNES cores.
EDIT: Already tried fixing things by deleting all SAM-related files and copying the latest MiSTer_SAM_on script.
EDIT2: When the MegaCD core fails to load with the file selector open, the file selector is inside the games/ZXNext directory, which is the last sub-directory in games.
EDIT3: If I select MegaCD only from the SAM menu, the first game will work and the ones after that fail with the file selector open.
barfood

Unread post by barfood »

Just curious... why print "Let Mortal Kombat begin!" to the screen at every execution? I find that confusing since the game launched is never actually Mortal Kombat :)
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Just finished building my TTY2OLED, which I mainly wanted to get because of super attract mode. I'm getting Error CMDTEXT and Error CMDGEO on the display when using the latest MiSTer SAM, which I installed manually.
Mr. Encyclopedia

Unread post by Mr. Encyclopedia »

What SAM really needs is support to load both cores and game files from the command line. I wonder how much work it would be to add that support, and if it's something that could be done just in Main or if it would require changes to each core as well.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Yeah, loading games seems to cause the most problems. SAM has to use tricks to do so, MiSTer might be able to do that better, though I guess it is quite a bit of work to create that functionality.

I get error messages about my NES everdrive archive being corrupted, even though it isn't. I had Neo Geo working fine, but now it hardly works. Core or MiSter updates can easily break the script. One thing is if you have multiple copies of the same core, like test builds for instance, that the script seems to have problems with that.

Like I was expecting it tried to run readme.md on the Megadrive core yesterday, which seems to stop the script functioning. I'll add that one to the blacklist, that should solve it.

I fixed the TTY2OLED part of the script and added the information to the ticket that Venice, the creator of TTY2OLED, created for it. Really handy to be able to see the name of the currently running game on it.
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

Don't know if it's possible, but is there any chance of support for this being added for i2c2oled. The size of the yellow "header" section looks like it should be just right to display the game name and keep the core logo in the blue.
Sigismond0

Any ideas on why I get this error screen when enabling TTY2OLED support? Outside of MiSTer_SAM the core graphics pop up beautifully. In MiSTer_SAM, it shows the core graphic, then swaps to this error screen instead of instead of showing the game name. Any thoughts on why?

afAFSbN.jpg
afAFSbN.jpg (102.37 KiB) Viewed 7670 times
hipsofjw

Unread post by hipsofjw »

Has anyone been able to successfully use this in offline mode? Here's what happens whenever I try and run it following the instructions on the github either from the MiSTer menu or from SSH:

- /media/fat/Scripts/MiSTer_SAM_on.sh
- autoboot menu
- enable autoboot
- SAM required files not found.
- Surprised? Check your INI.
- Proceeds to try and download stuff from Github (which it can't since it's blocked in my country)
- Times out
- Any key to escape

I've tried over and over again to get this running but it just won't operate in offline mode since it has to connect to github to even start. I don't really understand the "Surprised? Check your INI." I don't see anything in the ini file about running autoboot or offline mode.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Sigismond0 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:53 am Any ideas on why I get this error screen when enabling TTY2OLED support? Outside of MiSTer_SAM the core graphics pop up beautifully. In MiSTer_SAM, it shows the core graphic, then swaps to this error screen instead of instead of showing the game name. Any thoughts on why?
There's a ticket for this problem here: https://github.com/mrchrisster/MiSTer_SAM/issues/95

I made a fix for this, that also adds the newly added tty2oled option of random transitions. Just replace your MiSTer_SAM_on.sh script with the one in the attached zip.
Attachments
MiSTer_SAM_on.zip
(10.14 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Sigismond0

That did the trick. Thanks!
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Sigismond0 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:31 pm That did the trick. Thanks!
I'm glad to hear that!
UScr00ge

Having a new weird problem with SAM where only Arcade games are being randomly selected ... not GBA or SNES or Genesis or anything else.

Wondering if a recent update_all MiSTer update broke it. Anyone else having this issue?
UScr00ge

I'm not sure if it changed on the MiSTer side via update_all.sh, or via a MiSTer SAM update, but my SAM is now correctly traversing all of the available cores again :)
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

UScr00ge wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:41 pm I'm not sure if it changed on the MiSTer side via update_all.sh, or via a MiSTer SAM update, but my SAM is now correctly traversing all of the available cores again :)
Happy to hear that!

I think the new MGL files could help the MiSTer SAM script to work more reliably, if it was adapted to use them.
Sigismond0

LamerDeluxe wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:32 pm
UScr00ge wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:41 pm I'm not sure if it changed on the MiSTer side via update_all.sh, or via a MiSTer SAM update, but my SAM is now correctly traversing all of the available cores again :)
Happy to hear that!

I think the new MGL files could help the MiSTer SAM script to work more reliably, if it was adapted to use them.
Yeah, if SAM could randomly select a ROM, create a MGL, and then use that to launch it that would be great. No more copying ROMs into a temp directory, and no more cases where that gets interrupted by a shutdown or something leaving a broken file. Theoretically that should also allow for much wider core compatibility right?
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Sigismond0 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:07 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:32 pm
Happy to hear that!

Yeah, if SAM could randomly select a ROM, create a MGL, and then use that to launch it that would be great. No more copying ROMs into a temp directory, and no more cases where that gets interrupted by a shutdown or something leaving a broken file. Theoretically that should also allow for much wider core compatibility right?
Yes, that is what I'm expecting, should be less fragile than it is now. Alternatively have it create folders of MGL files, where you could remove games you don't want included in the attract mode.
Mr. Encyclopedia

Unread post by Mr. Encyclopedia »

Yeah honestly I'd be fine with a SAM that just randomly chooses from a folder of MGL files. The process of making MGL files can be pretty easily automated so I could see a world where I put shortcuts to my top 100 games in there, or let SAM or some other script generate MGL files for every stupid rom in my complete collection.

Looking at the github page it looks like mrchrisster and others are looking into MGL file support in SAM, I might just take a look myself and see if I can make my own variation of it.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Good to hear MGL support is already being looked into! SAM is such a good combination with the TTY2OLED display.
RegalCutlass

Unread post by RegalCutlass »

Mr. Encyclopedia wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:01 pmLooking at the github page it looks like mrchrisster and others are looking into MGL file support in SAM, I might just take a look myself and see if I can make my own variation of it.
Yup, I'm currently looking into this. I spent dozens of hours adding whitelist support and improving how SAM handles zip files. I was just about to add zip support to MiSTer Batch Control so SAM wouldn't have to extract ROMs to load them when I heard about MGL. If I'd had MGLs a couple of months back I would've gotten all of that functionality for free!

The main issue I've run into is that MGLs stop working if you have a USB plugged in with a game folder for the core you're trying to load. E.g. If you try to load an NES game and /media/usb0/games/NES/ exists, the MGL will fail regardless of whether it's pointing to a game on the SD card or the USB drive. So until that bug is fixed, if you use USB and you're interested in having SAM load MGL files, you should make sure to put your USB games in a non-standard folder.

I have my own SAM fork [here](https://github.com/InquisitiveCoder/MiSTer_SAM) which I use to test out my code before I open pull requests to mrchrisster's repo. I'm was planning on making a branch that's MGL-only, when it's ready I'll post here again so you can try it out if you want.
hipsofjw

Unread post by hipsofjw »

hipsofjw wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:09 am Has anyone been able to successfully use this in offline mode? Here's what happens whenever I try and run it following the instructions on the github either from the MiSTer menu or from SSH:

- /media/fat/Scripts/MiSTer_SAM_on.sh
- autoboot menu
- enable autoboot
- SAM required files not found.
- Surprised? Check your INI.
- Proceeds to try and download stuff from Github (which it can't since it's blocked in my country)
- Times out
- Any key to escape

I've tried over and over again to get this running but it just won't operate in offline mode since it has to connect to github to even start. I don't really understand the "Surprised? Check your INI." I don't see anything in the ini file about running autoboot or offline mode.
Has anyone successfully used this in offline mode yet?
Sigismond0

hipsofjw wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:48 am Has anyone successfully used this in offline mode yet?
Was playing around with SAM today, and it looks like there are two files in my .MiSTer_SAM folder that are not included in that directory on the github:
  • patrun
    mbc
When running for the first time, it re-populates those files though I'm not sure if they're self generated or being pulled from somewhere. Other than that I see no reason why it shouldn't be able to work offline. Do you have everything in the .MiSTer_SAM folder downloaded and in the right directory, or did you just pull down the MiSTer_SAM_On script?

Unrelated, but I seem to have broken my MiSTer SAM so that auto-start no longer works. I've got it enabled form the setup menu and have a 1 minute timeout set. But I can sit on the main menu for ten minutes and nothing happens. Manually starting works fine, but after a reboot (soft or cold) it always just stays at the menu and never launches. No clue what changed from when it was working before to now, and I even tried a clean reinstall. Not the end of the world, but a bit of a bummer.
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

@Sigismond0 Every time you install a Linux update, you have to re-enable it for startup in the config menu (because the setting it changes is in the Linux blob that gets wiped out on update).
Sigismond0

Yep, I've re-enabled in the config menu multiple times today, no change in behavior.
mrchrister

Unread post by mrchrister »

Hey guys,
a first version of MGL support for SAM is now live.
You can test this version by enabling the test branch:

- Open your MiSTer_SAM.ini (located in the Scripts folder)
- The last line should be

#branch=test
Uncomment this line so it reads

branch=test
- Update SAM by running MiSTer_SAM_on.sh and wait until the timer goes to zero.

You should now be on the MGL version of SAM. Please report any issues you find.

Current status:

- Included PSX core in this build
- Custom directory isn't working (due to the nature of how mgl files work atm)
- No more problems loading games for Neogeo and GBA core
- I tested Everdrive zip packs and unpacked archives. I haven't tested individually zipped roms yet.
Sigismond0

Giving it a quick test, and it's looking neat so far. Not cycling through the menus looks so much nicer, and makes it faster too.

Issues:
  • NeoGeo fails for me. Just get a black screen when it selects the core. I have .neo format in a couple of big zip files, so that might be why-even just browsing can be slow. Tried unzipping and it still fails. Both file structures worked with the non-MGL version of SAM. If I manually load a NeoGeo game through the menu it works. Then if SAM shuffles another one up next, it launches but corrputed.
  • TGFX16-CD fails. The core opens and sits on a bootrom I have, but he SAM game doesn't load. Note that these are loading from USB0 instead of FAT, and I have made that change in the ini. This core worked yesterday with the same settings. If I remove the bootrom, I just get a black screen. If I load a CD manually it works. If SAM shuffles to the next game after one has successfully loaded this way, it dumps into the CD player screen of the BIOS.
  • At first PSX failed to launch for me because A) I had PSX core in _Unstable folder (which I suspect a lot of people do right now) and B) the psxpath line is case sensitive which caused a file not found error. Dropped the .rbf into _console and fixed my case in the .ini and it got past that. Now it finds games and loads the core, but just sits in the BIOS menu instead of launching the game. Again, loading CD manually works. If SAM shuffles after a manual load, nothing changes. If SAM shuffles after a manual load, it just gets stuck in BIOS again.
  • MegaCD also fails, just boots into the bios which never advance. On previous SAM version, it would autoboot out of the BIOS into the game. Manually loading works as expected. If SAM shuffles after a manual load, it just gets stuck in BIOS again.
  • NOTE: The three CD cores noted here are all loading from USB0, and the games paths are correct in the .ini. TGFX16-CD and MegaCD both work on the non-MGL build. NeoGeo is running from SD.
  • Trying to start from SSH with something like "MiSTer_SAM_on.sh megacd" shows in the terminal that it's only selected that core. But when running, it still shuffles all cores. Trying to run with "psx" or "tgfx16-cd" it says the parameter is invalid.
  • TTY2OLED is still broken in this version.
Edit: Striking through the ones related to USB storage, as I now see custom directories currently don't work. Theoretically, a path like ../../USB0/games/PSX/whatever/whatever.chd should be able to be worked into the MGL right? The current ini/script is expecting an absolute path, but the MGL requires a relative one. Could that just be provided on another line?

Odd that NeoGeo is supposed to be better in this version, but seems to be completely broken for me despite working just fine on older releases.
mrchrister

Thanks for testing! Just changed the logic to use absolute paths. Can you give this a try?
Direct core selection through command line is broken currently, please use ini.

corelist="nes"
should work for example.

I've only tried NeoGeo with unzipped roms. If you keep zipped and unzipped roms in the same dir, SAM will look which you have more of and use that, so your unpacked roms were most likely ignored. With the new version, you could define a custom path for Neo Geo and see if unpacked .neo files work.
mrchrister

Mellified fixed command line parsing so you should be able to select a core now from command line. Hopefully everything works now!
Sigismond0

I have two fully populated NeoGeo folders. One with zips, one with loose files in folders. When I want to test with zips, I just rename the loose folder to "games/NeoGeoLoose". When I want to test loose folders, I name the zipped folder "games/NeoGeoZip". And whatever is "active" is just "games/NeoGeo". Neither the loose or zipped ROMs are working on this new build. Sometimes I get a black screen, sometimes random flashing colors. I reverted back to the main SAM branch, and both folder types worked fine.

TGFX16-CD appears to be working off of USB0 with the latest build!

MegaCD and PSX running off of the same USB0 both still stick at BIOS without launching the game.

I can now successfully use the corenames from terminal, helpful for troubleshooting!

TTY2OLED support still not working (I know you didn't mention its fix here, but just wanted to make sure there's visibility. It broke after greyscale support was added to TTY2OLED. There are fixed MiSTer_SAM_ON.sh files floating around, so it's fixable.)