List of "unofficial" cores

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
shark800
Core Developer

List of "unofficial" cores

Unread post by shark800 »

Hi Mister team,

thank you for great work preparing ecosystem for emulating old be-loving machines! I appreciate huge list of available official cores from your homepage and auto update script, however I do believe there exists much more created by other people. I do understand you don't want to "taint" your github and list with cores you don't know much about. Unfortunately such cores are not visible on first glance and not easy to find.

But if you setup some kind of unofficial list of cores where you put other people work on request and after some review from yourself it could be beneficial for all. Furthermore if these developers follow your folder structure you could make it optional part of update script (disabled by default?). This could make users and non officials core programmers happy ;)

What do you think?

Regards,
Petr
Mellified

Re: List of "unofficial" cores

Unread post by Mellified »

Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

An actual list of all the unofficial cores that could be added to the MiSTer would be very useful. The are various ones out there, off hand:
Jaguar
Intellivision
Nand2Tetris
Mandlebrot Zoomer
Spectrum 48k
There are various other computers I can't remember

There is an unofficial cores update script but right now it just has another Spectrum core that will presumably be in main soon, and a couple of Mister X arcade games that Alan mentioned looking to get finished up and into Main. Might be good to get it grabbing some of the other cores that aren't official.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Moondandy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:13 am An actual list of all the unofficial cores that could be added to the MiSTer would be very useful. The are various ones out there, off hand:
Jaguar
Intellivision
Nand2Tetris
Mandlebrot Zoomer
Spectrum 48k
There are various other computers I can't remember

There is an unofficial cores update script but right now it just has another Spectrum core that will presumably be in main soon, and a couple of Mister X arcade games that Alan mentioned looking to get finished up and into Main. Might be good to get it grabbing some of the other cores that aren't official.
Yes, agreed. I was expecting those to be included in the unofficial cores update script already. And there are some tabletop/handheld cores as well.
KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

Don't want this to get off topic, but is there a reason that Jotego's cores aren't "official"? I know you can easily grab them through the update all script. I heard it was because the credits from his Patreons makes it so they can't be official or something like that. I know it's not that big of a deal in the long run, but it just feels weird to not have his cores official when CPS1 and his other cores are one of the biggest draws of MiSTer and it's odd to not see them listed on the MiSTer github.
dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

In short, he prefers to keep them separate from the MiSTer repositories, not that he is being excluded in a any way.

It likely has to do with the fact that he often supports non-MiSTer hardware as well as MiSTer.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

Ok, if we can group source a list of unofficial cores that are a good way along I am happy to raise a ticket to try get them added to the unofficial core. If people can post links to the GitHub repos for them that would be great.