Bad Amazon Supplier

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
mclout@mclout.com

Bad Amazon Supplier

Unread post by mclout@mclout.com »

I ordered an all-in-one addons package from Amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08ZC2NNW9/) and it was not a good idea let me tell you. It looked like a good deal. I came from China and did not take too long but it came with a 32MB SDRAM module instead of the 128MB one.

The second issue is the IO card did not have the single-row header installed at all. Is that ever a valid way for the card to be functional? If I wind up keeping any of this stuff I am assuming I will need to solder on those male pins? Please any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
technotaff

Re: Bad Amazon Supplier

Unread post by technotaff »

Yeah a lot of the I/O boards from China are missing the user port pins.

I think it's because they are soldered in a non-standard way without the plastic guide and a non-standard height.

They should be pretty easy to solder tho.
mclout@mclout.com

I just looked at another video of setting a mister up and that one shows an additional 1 male pin header next to the double row header. I found the hole for that on the card. Do I need that one too? This is just so frustrating. How do I know what I am doing with this silly thing? Are there different things required on different versions of the board? OK, If I get stuck with this I need to add the 10 pin header and that 1 pin header is that correct? The only pin header I have are ones for a raspberry Pi so are those long enough for these headers. I looked at the parts list for the DIY on the Wiki and they show a LONG set of male Pin headers. I am guessing those very short RPI headers are not going to do it. THIS REALLY SUCKS BAD. Thanks for any help again. I opted for the preassembled kit because I can't do so well with soldering and such like this with my failing eyes (Diabetic)
keilmillerjr

Unread post by keilmillerjr »

Amazon has mister fpga products from various sellers, but it's all from the same guy in china. Ads are copy and pasted. The photos of the 128mb ram module has pins that were forgotten of solder. There is your sign.
technotaff

Unread post by technotaff »

mclout@mclout.com wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:39 am I just looked at another video of setting a mister up and that one shows an additional 1 male pin header next to the double row header. I found the hole for that on the card. Do I need that one too? This is just so frustrating. How do I know what I am doing with this silly thing? Are there different things required on different versions of the board? OK, If I get stuck with this I need to add the 10 pin header and that 1 pin header is that correct? The only pin header I have are ones for a raspberry Pi so are those long enough for these headers. I looked at the parts list for the DIY on the Wiki and they show a LONG set of male Pin headers. I am guessing those very short RPI headers are not going to do it. THIS REALLY SUCKS BAD. Thanks for any help again. I opted for the preassembled kit because I can't do so well with soldering and such like this with my failing eyes (Diabetic)
Yeah, you need that for full functionality. Normal pins should work:
  • Install the board on the mister.
  • Pull the pins out of the plastic on your header and insert them into the top of the I/O board one at a time.
  • Solder each pin into place but don't linger too long, or you risk making the socket "a bit melty" on the DE10.
Give the I/O board a quick visual inspection before you start to check for dodgy soldering which you can touch-up too.

You'll be fine.
mclout@mclout.com

technotaff wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:24 am
mclout@mclout.com wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:39 am I just looked at another video of setting a mister up and that one shows an additional 1 male pin header next to the double row header. I found the hole for that on the card. Do I need that one too? This is just so frustrating. How do I know what I am doing with this silly thing? Are there different things required on different versions of the board? OK, If I get stuck with this I need to add the 10 pin header and that 1 pin header is that correct? The only pin header I have are ones for a raspberry Pi so are those long enough for these headers. I looked at the parts list for the DIY on the Wiki and they show a LONG set of male Pin headers. I am guessing those very short RPI headers are not going to do it. THIS REALLY SUCKS BAD. Thanks for any help again. I opted for the preassembled kit because I can't do so well with soldering and such like this with my failing eyes (Diabetic)
Yeah, you need that for full functionality. Normal pins should work:
  • Install the board on the mister.
  • Pull the pins out of the plastic on your header and insert them into the top of the I/O board one at a time.
  • Solder each pin into place but don't linger too long, or you risk making the socket "a bit melty" on the DE10.
Give the I/O board a quick visual inspection before you start to check for dodgy soldering which you can touch-up too.

You'll be fine.
Thanks for the help and after I got a very good refund I did just as you instructed and that method worked SO WELL. I am keeping that one in my kit bag from now on. It really is an inspired way to do it that took all the guesswork out.
vgesoterica

Unread post by vgesoterica »

Amazon is always so dicey as to whether or not you will get legit product or some bootleg / knockoff