Can't SFTP, FTP or SSH

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
retroplace

Can't SFTP, FTP or SSH

Unread post by retroplace »

Hi there,

yesterday, MiSTer arrived. Works like a charm, I am VERY amazed by this thing.

Tried to FTP, SFTP and SSH to the device, but to no avail. I can ping it but all other connections are refused:

ssh: connect to host 192.168.178.89 port 22: Connection refused

Ping works fine:

64 bytes from 192.168.178.89: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=5.677 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.178.89: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=4.627 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.178.89: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=12.490 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.178.89: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=7.122 ms

Am I missing something?

Best

Armin
Mellified

Re: Can't SFTP, FTP or SSH

Unread post by Mellified »

You need to turn those services on. There are scripts in the Scripts directory - press F12 from the main MiSTer menu to find them. If you don't have them download Update_All, copy it to your microSD card, and launch it from Scripts. It will download the others.

https://github.com/theypsilon/Update_All_MiSTer
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Are you sure about that? I can FTP and SSH to my MISTer and never had to turn these services on. For me it just works out of the box.
kathleen
Top Contributor

Unread post by kathleen »

@retroplace,

Which kind of client are you using ? Maybe a stupid answer but have you entered the correct user (root) and password (1) ?

かすりん

phamtq

Unread post by phamtq »

jca wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:54 am Are you sure about that? I can FTP and SSH to my MISTer and never had to turn these services on. For me it just works out of the box.
That's kind of dangerous. From a security perspective anyways. I hope it's off by default.
retroplace

Unread post by retroplace »

Mellified wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:37 am You need to turn those services on. There are scripts in the Scripts directory - press F12 from the main MiSTer menu to find them. If you don't have them download Update_All, copy it to your microSD card, and launch it from Scripts. It will download the others.

https://github.com/theypsilon/Update_All_MiSTer
Yes, that was the very easy solution. A friend mentioned the scripts section and there I saw the scripts for SSH on and FTP on. All good! Thanks so much!

Now I will spend all day long to decipher what the best tricks and hacks are to get the most out of Mr. MiSTer here …
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I am very perplexed about all that.
I had my MISTer for more than 2 years and I made many different SD cards. In every case I could FTP and SSH into MISTer right out of the box, I never had to enable FTP and SSH.
What is going on?:
bellwood420
Core Developer

Unread post by bellwood420 »

jca wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:53 am I am very perplexed about all that.
I had my MISTer for more than 2 years and I made many different SD cards. In every case I could FTP and SSH into MISTer right out of the box, I never had to enable FTP and SSH.
What is going on?:
I've never had to enable FTP and SSH, too.
Btw, I bought bare DE10-Nano from Digi-Key and created SD card using Mr. Fusion.
I'm not sure but I assume some of pre-configured bundles may turn them off by default for better security?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

bellwood420 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:46 pm ...
I'm not sure but I assume some of pre-configured bundles may turn them off by default for better security?
Good point, it did not occur to me but it makes total sense. Like you I built my MISTer by buying a DE-10 nano from Amazon, an I/O board, SDRAM and used a powered USB hub I had on hand with the addition of an OTG cable and used Mr. Fusion for the SD card, even the pre-Mr. Fusion method.
The thing I could not understand is why some users had to enable FTP and SSH, there has been a few over the years, and I had not doubt that they had to do it in order to FTP or SSH. It had been bothering me for quite some time, but thanks to you I will be able to have a good sleep tonight :) .