Ability to Reposition Screen (X,Y) on Cores

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
Nemesis2k

Ability to Reposition Screen (X,Y) on Cores

Unread post by Nemesis2k »

Ive been using my MiSTer on a Sony Trinitron CRT with a VGA -> RGB SCART cable. Everything is fine, however RGB signals tend to pull the image on a CRT to the left a considerable amount. So much so that the service menu can no longer move it to the right enough to correct the offset.

I noticed in the arcade cores i have the ability to reposition a screen along the X and Y. Is this something than can be implemented across the board in all cores? Would be great for people who use CRTs.
d909

Re: Ability to Reposition Screen (X,Y) on Cores

Unread post by d909 »

An expensive workaround would be an extron RGB device, as they tend to have horizontal shift knobs. I recommend the 109xi or 203rxi.
Nemesis2k

Jotego posted this on twitter today.

https://twitter.com/topapate/status/139 ... 26273?s=21

Im not sure how to implement this into the existing cores. I assume this what I am looking for?
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

It has been discussed before, but fizzled out. An H/V module in all cores would be awesome, hopefully it will eventually be integrated.

Some other solutions are Extron RGB 192 (not too expensive) or finding a newer Trinitron with RGB Centering menu option.
paulbnl
Core Developer

Unread post by paulbnl »

Nemesis2k wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:40 am Everything is fine, however RGB signals tend to pull the image on a CRT to the left a considerable amount. So much so that the service menu can no longer move it to the right enough to correct the offset.
That is very strange for a Sony Trinitron. Does that happen with all cores?

IO Board or HDMI to VGA DAC? vga_scaler=0?
Nemesis2k

paulbnl wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:15 am
Nemesis2k wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:40 am Everything is fine, however RGB signals tend to pull the image on a CRT to the left a considerable amount. So much so that the service menu can no longer move it to the right enough to correct the offset.
That is very strange for a Sony Trinitron. Does that happen with all cores?

IO Board or HDMI to VGA DAC? vga_scaler=0?
Yeah, it is the CRT. I also have this CRT hooked up to an RGB modded PC Engine Duo R, Dreamcast, RGB modded 3DO, XBOX, MiSTer & PS2. I have the H-POS pulled all the way to the right until it's at 00 in the service menu and when running any system or core through RGB SCART it is still pulled to the left. I can narrow the H-Scale to fit it onto the screen but that leaves me with a black border along the right-hand side that will warp depending on brightness etc.

It is quite frustrating. And something I wouldn't have thought would be an issue on a Sony Trinitron myself. :(

Edit: Since posting this, I have seen some tweets where it has previously been dismissed as something that will not be implemented because it should not be needed on console cores. I don't understand this logic, it's a quality of life option, just like scaling and filters.
Cogo

Unread post by Cogo »

I would also love to see this implemented, and hope that Jotego's framework will help to make it a reality someday.
Swainy

Unread post by Swainy »

I agree, I use a Sony Trinitron and every console & computer’s display is ever so slightly different so it would be really handy to be able to adjust the position without having to deal with the TV’s service menu.
cyw35390

Unread post by cyw35390 »

Hi, this is my first post here after doing some research.
I got a 1992 Trinitron for cheap which has no service menu, picture adjustments have to be made on the hardware directly while running and I am not experienced with repairing electronics at all, so I will skip that.
I have the same issues as many have stated before, the image on most cores and the main menu is shifted about 10mm or a little more to the left. For the most games it does not matter that much, but everything that has centered textboxes, life bars and such it looks really annoying.

Jotegos Hpos/Vpos settings adjustments work really well and are free to use, but how does one get the makers of the different cores to implement it?
Lancelot

Unread post by Lancelot »

I have this exact problem with my 38 inch Wega on component, the HPOS setting is not enough in order to center the image horizontaly, very sad.