Please help, multiple .ini configuration switch does not work

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
Insert Disk Two

Please help, multiple .ini configuration switch does not work

Unread post by Insert Disk Two »

Update: figured it out. It was the menu highlight colour which was confusing me as it looked like it is the other way round

So basically I want to setup two .ini files.

I have 2 .ini files name liked this:

MiSTer.ini
MiSTer_alt_1.ini

So after MiSTer boots (and loads MiSTer.ini obviously) I go to menu and select to switch to "ALT". The MiSTer resets but loads MiSTer.ini again.
If I rename MiSTer_alt_1.ini to MiSTer.ini (and MiSTer.ini to something else) then the .ini loads fine, so it is not a matter of something being wrong MiSTer_alt_1.ini - this is very frustrating

:cry:
RascalUK

Re: Please help, multiple .ini configuration switch does not work

Unread post by RascalUK »

Ha. It occasionally still gets me!
bootsector

Unread post by bootsector »

Taking advantage of this post, I really think we need a way to switch alternate .ini through IO buttons (a combo or something like that). It helps when default video mode is not visible on the attached video device.
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

This is cut and paste from the Github
Switching INI Files On the Fly
MiSTer currently supports up to 3 additional INI files that can be toggled in the OSD menu, either by going to Misc. Options (press left while in the menu) or by holding the menu back button on your controller and pressing a direction. This is useful if you need to switch between video configurations often. To get started, make copies of your INI file and rename them:

mister_alt_1.ini activated by back + left

mister_alt_2.ini activated by back + up

mister_alt_3.ini activated by back + down

Additionally, you can switch back to your default mister.ini by pressing back + right or by selecting Main.

Your alt INI file will stay loaded across reboots and core changes until you turn the power off; mister.ini will always load by default when powering on. Note that if you switch INI files while a core is running, the core will reset.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
bootsector

Unread post by bootsector »

Unfortunately that requires a working/configured joystick. Making something working with the IO board buttons or at least a keyboard would be appreciated.
oldmandandan

Unread post by oldmandandan »

Then attach a keyboard temporarily. Keyboards are configured by default. Back is either backspace or escape key (can't recall right now), then use arrow keys for direction.
willinliv

Unread post by willinliv »

Not sure if the OP found the same, but neither Backspace or Escape keys are mimic the menu back button from a controller, therefore not giving the same effect in the OSD of switching the ini. I'm reluctant to remap the keyboard to find out what key it is but that might be my next option after taking a backup. For me I'm looking to style out an Adafruit Macropad with config switch as an key option - hence needing a keyboard shortcut to switch. Thanks, Will
AmintaMister

Unread post by AmintaMister »

This problem remains open: with the keyboard is not possible to switch INIs, apparently.