Multiplayer Family Games

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
witinhalf

Multiplayer Family Games

Unread post by witinhalf »

Hey friends, I'm looking for more family multiplayer games. We have a lot of fun playing Super Bomberman 3 on the SNES, 4 player and even 5 player with company over. We play it almost every night and even my 5 year old is getting competitive at it. What are some other good multi-tap games to play as a family on the MiSTer?

We also enjoy playing Sonic 2 two player. Centipede on the 7800 is also a lot of fun two player. And while I'm talking about the 7800 we also play Ms Pac-Man and Food Fight. We try and beat each others scores in Galaga 90, and the Crush pinball games on the TG16.

When I bought the MiSTer I thought it was only going to be my toy, but it's a family toy as well. Any suggestions would be awesome.
Jimi369

Re: Multiplayer Family Games

Unread post by Jimi369 »

Well the first title that came to mind when reading the topic title was Super Bomberman (4, but they’re all good in my book), but you’ve got that covered already.

Depending on age and taste you could look into sports and puzzle games if it has to be 4 players or more.
On the puzzle side you’ve got Super Tetris 3 and Puyo Puyo 2 Remix for the Super Nintendo/Famicom.

Tiny Toon adventures - Wild and Wacky Sports on the Super Nintendo. 4-player competitive mini games.
Summer Games 1/2 and Winter Games 1/2 on the Commodore 64. Compete in Olympic events in simple one dimensional sport settings. Sometimes you mash sometimes less so. Not a knock on the game, by the way. Still love it.
Track ‘n field on the Nes has simular ideas.

The NBA Jam series is great for getting into team sports games, with only three buttons and little in the way of rules. NBA Jam Tournament edition on either the Snes of Mega Drive/Genesis core should get you going.

On the football side there is the great International Superstar Soccer Deluxe, also 4 players and on both Snes and Genesis, but not as noob friendly.
Maybe Super Formation Soccer 2, which is also 4 player-compatible and substantially lighter on rules and accuracy would be better.
If two players at a time is not a problem, Dolucky’s A-league Soccer is a nice cartoony introduction to the genre. Both games are on Super Famicom.

Smash Tennis for the Super Nintendo is a blast in multiplayer. Simple, pick up and play action, with some nuances when you get good at it.

For racing: Steet Racer on Snes, Micro Machines 2 on Mega Drive or Amiga and Super Offroad on the Nes core.

If violence is not an issue, two of arguably the deepest 4-player beat ‘m ups are coming when the CPS2 core goes public, with Dungeons & Dragons - Tower of Doom and -Shadows over Mystara.

Secret of Mana on the Super Nintendo has a 3-player mode that is great for going on an adventure together. This one does take time to get going and to be able to play with three, though.

Two player hits for us:
Bubble Bobble (Nes/Arcade Core)
Zombies ate my Neighbors (Super Nintendo)
Asterix and Obelix (Super Nintendo)
Mickey to Donald-the Magical Quest 3 (Super Famicom)
Smash TV (Super Nintendo)

Competitive:
Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack (Super Famicom/Super Nintendo)
witinhalf

Unread post by witinhalf »

Thanks @Jimi399. Talking about Secret of Mana. I found a 3 player Rom hack for Trials of Mana: https://www.fantasyanime.com/mana/som2downloads.htm

I remember beating Secret of Mana with friends as a kid. The memories of that game are amazing.
mhartman

Unread post by mhartman »

NeoGeo Puzzle Bobble is a blast when played head to head. My girls love it.
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

great post, and theres some solid recommendations for multiplayer games mentioned above.

i would recommend one of my favorite games for the NES, micro mages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFX401vvKTQ
Jimi369

Unread post by Jimi369 »

Micro Mages! (KS backer here)
The rom can be had for ten dollars on the creator’s website: https://morphcatgames.itch.io/micromages
starquake

Unread post by starquake »

Great suggestions so far!

It's not for everyone but I like to play golf games like Mario Golf.
Here ar some of my favorites:
[*] Mario Golf (NES)
[*] Streets of Rage 2 (Mega Drive)
[*] Golden Axe (Mega Drive/Arcade)
[*] Dr. Mario (NES)
[*] Bomberman '94 (PC Engine)
[*] Excitebike (NES)
[*] Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles II - The Arcade Game (NES)
[*] Parasol Stars (PC Engine)
[*] Toilet Kids (PC Engine)
[*] Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time (SNES)
[*] Gunstar Heroes (Mega Drive)
[*] Super Mario Kart (SNES)
[*] Uniracers (SNES)
lnielsen

Unread post by lnielsen »

I was always a big fan on Intellivision for family games but they are limited to two players. I would note that in that vain, Intellivision Amico (https://intellivision.com/) is due out this fall. It only have family oriented games and will support eight players I think with a phone app for players 3-8
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

Just get a Switch if you will go for a new console. Plenty of multiplayer family games on it.

I can recommend Goof Troop for SNES (2 player), or Gauntlet 2 (NES or Arcade) for 4 players.
hiddenbyleaves

Unread post by hiddenbyleaves »

Micro Machines!!
morf77

Unread post by morf77 »

8bit-Slicks

Slicks 'n Slides remakes for multiple of the cores http://8bit-slicks.com/?page_id=2