Is the DE-10 Nano board incompatible with a USB 3.0 HUB?

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
Waifu4Life

Is the DE-10 Nano board incompatible with a USB 3.0 HUB?

Unread post by Waifu4Life »

I purchased a TPLink 7 USB 3.0 ports, but my MiSTer doesn't recognize it. It works fine on my PC.
MostroW

Re: Is the DE-10 Nano board incompatible with a USB 3.0 HUB?

Unread post by MostroW »

is it a powered usb hub and do you have the adapter connected?
you're using a direct connection to the mister using the micro usb connector and no adapter in between cable and mister?

it's something i would expect to work out of the box, but maybe it requires different drivers?
Waifu4Life

MostroW wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:36 pm is it a powered usb hub and do you have the adapter connected?
you're using a direct connection to the mister using the micro usb connector and no adapter in between cable and mister?

it's something i would expect to work out of the box, but maybe it requires different drivers?
I did buy MicroUSB to USB-A adaptor and that does work with a cheap 4-port USB HUB that I have. The TPLink itself has a power supply which I did use.
I found an old 2.0 USB HUB and a power supply that works for it. That one works perfectly with the MiSTer. Still, they don't make a lot of new USB 2.0 HUB, would be nice to know if 3.0 USB HUBs work.
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

almost sounds like a driver issue to me, maybe the devs could potentially enlighten us regarding this, i'd expect the hub to fall back into usb2 mode being connected to usb2 to the mister and all, else could it be that the hub itself doesn't provide fallback?

when you've tested the hub on your pc was it a usb2 or usb3 connector you've connected it to?
Waifu4Life

MostroW wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:08 pm almost sounds like a driver issue to me, maybe the devs could potentially enlighten us regarding this, i'd expect the hub to fall back into usb2 mode being connected to usb2 to the mister and all, else could it be that the hub itself doesn't provide fallback?

when you've tested the hub on your pc was it a usb2 or usb3 connector you've connected it to?
It works perfectly on a USB 2.0 port.
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

then it's probably a driver issue then, might be fixed in the near future if the devs come around to it.
might be handy if other people have working 3.0 hubs connected to their mister to tell brand / model so other people can safely purchase these knowing they'd work.
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

I have a USB 3.1 gen 2 hub (some generic brand) that works perfectly on the MiSTer. At USB 2 speeds, of course. You need to use an USB OTG adapter in between.
Waifu4Life

C-R-T wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:44 am I have a USB 3.1 gen 2 hub (some generic brand) that works perfectly on the MiSTer. At USB 2 speeds, of course. You need to use an USB OTG adapter in between.
Oh, so your USB 3.1 HUB won't work directly with the DE10-Nano, you need to daisy chain it with an older one?
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

The difference seems to be that you have one USB hub (the old one) that has USB OTG capability, and the other (newer) hub does not have USB OTG.

MiSTer requires an OTG-capable hub.

More info on OTG here.
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

the_importer wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:26 pm
C-R-T wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:44 am I have a USB 3.1 gen 2 hub (some generic brand) that works perfectly on the MiSTer. At USB 2 speeds, of course. You need to use an USB OTG adapter in between.
Oh, so your USB 3.1 HUB won't work directly with the DE10-Nano, you need to daisy chain it with an older one?
As far as I know, no usb hub works with the de10 nano, you need an OTG adapter between them, this just grounds pin 5 in the USB plug, as opposed to leaving it floating, which is otherwise the norm. If this is not done, the hub will not be detected.