Converting MRA patches to IPS?

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
jlancaster86

Converting MRA patches to IPS?

Unread post by jlancaster86 »

Is there a simple method of applying the patch data from an MRA file to MAME ROM files outside of MiSTer? Maybe by converting the MRA file to an IPS file? I'd like to setup Street Fighter Alpha 3: Challenger's Edition on my MAME cabinet, and I'd rather avoid busting out a hex editor and making the edits manually, if possible.

UPDATE (2022-07-02): Grego has now released IPS patches for Street Fighter Alpha 3: Challenger's Edition for both MAME and Darksoft.
darksakul

Re: Converting MRA patches to IPS?

Unread post by darksakul »

I don't see a easy way around it. I tried searching on my end and I got nothing to show.

From what I understand the MRA is just a text file with pointers to the MAME Rom and the Arcade core, with the occasional settings and patch offset instructions. And our case the sfa3ce MRA has many lines of patch offsets expressed in hex. An ISP patch is a binary file.

I can see it be theoretically possible someone made a script that read the MRA file's patch offsets and produce something that could translate into a ISP patch or something to the effect that could be applied to a rom or automate hex editing. But I didn't find anything.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.