Case doesn't remotely fit my MiSTer

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
mattadore

Case doesn't remotely fit my MiSTer

Unread post by mattadore »

Hi... just managed to grab a case for my Mister, but now that it's arrived, I'm clearly missing something. There's a giant metal "obstruction" that feels like it wants to press on something to sink heat from it, but it's much much too long and prevents any combination of "board stack" from ever fitting (there's a fan and an entire board in the way).

I'm certain I'm ignorant, but I can't find anything online, so I assume I missed something crazy obvious. At this point, I'm just writing off the case as a waste of 70 bucks and will go back to happily emulating things free from cases :).

If anyone can tell me what I'm missing, I'd really appreciate it. At the moment, I feel stupid for bothering :-/
Xbytez
Site Admin

Re: Case doesn't remotely fit my MiSTer

Unread post by Xbytez »

Give this a watch, it should get you going in the right direction with your build.

https://youtu.be/jjAoMoIQ0ts
willi

Unread post by willi »

If you are installing one of the prebuilt MiSTers from MiSTer addons into the aluminum case from MiSTer addons you will need to deconstruct your MiSTer. You will need to remove most of the stand offs, as well as the fan and the heat sink. You will replace most of the hardware with what was sent to you. Take a look at the video posted above me for what your hardware should look like before it's ready to install in the case.

That metal "obstruction" is the heat sink for the cyclone, it should sit flush on the thermal pad you have to place on the cyclone in place of the existing heat sink.
mattadore

Unread post by mattadore »

Thank you so much guys! I knew I was missing something. This is exactly what I was looking for. Love my MiSTer and this community :)

- Matt
jamess

Unread post by jamess »

Faced exactly the same situation on Saturday… Lovely new case but no idea what to do with the aluminium obstruction in the middle of the box! Thanks for the link to the video. Will give it another go shortly.