How Do You Setup Autofire to Work Properly?

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
Morfious

How Do You Setup Autofire to Work Properly?

Unread post by Morfious »

Can someone please explain how to get the autofire to work properly in Mister? No matter what I do, it doesn’t seem to work as expected. According to the following site: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... #auto-fire

Autofire should work like this:
“Any defined button (except d-pad) supports auto fire feature. To activate auto fire, press and keep desired button and then quickly press the button defined as “BUTTON OSD”(for joystick) or “KBD TOGGLE”(for keyboard). To deactivate auto fire, repeat the the same procedure.
Auto fire provides 50ms-1000ms rates. To choose the speed, press and keep one of direction on d-pad and then quickly press the button defined as “BUTTON OSD”(for joystick) or “KBD TOGGLE”(for keyboard).”

I am currently using an iPac2 as my interface device. I have it set up for x-input mode (ABXYLR). During my setup there was no option for “Button OSD” to be defined that I can remember. I have the I/O board installed, and have the OSD button from the I/O board hardwired to my control panel. I have tried holding the button I want to use for autofire down and simultaneously pressing the OSD button from the I/O board, but this does not seem to work.
Can someone that has this feature working correctly please explain how you got it to work. Otherwise I’m going to wear out my fire button playing Galaga!!

Thank you in advance.

MostroW

Re: How Do You Setup Autofire to Work Properly?

Unread post by MostroW »

The OSD button from my controller (XBO) works fine like the description says.

I've mapped the OSD button to my XBox button on the controller so when i want auto fire i keep the button pressed on which i want it on and tap the Xbox menu button, i know it's set because the OSD shows a short message like "32ms autofire".
You can even increase the timing in a few intervals which i can't say from the top of my head now by pressing the left or right on my digital pad when setting autofire, left decreases the value and right increases the value, there is a min max value. (32ms is min, max i don't know because i mostly roll with 32ms)

Maybe if you can't assign an OSD button using the control method then you could try the keyboard method where you keep the assigned button pressed and then tap F12 on your keyboard to set it up?
Morfious

Unread post by Morfious »

For anyone reading this in the future the button or buttons you set up at the beginning for menu are the secret for getting autofire to work. Since I have the OSD/Menu button hardwired up to my I/O board I never set up a button combo for menu. I redid the setup for my iPac and set a menu button combo. The autofire now works as expected.

Hold button you want to use for autofire and hit the menu button or menu button combo. You will see a autofire 32ms message in the upper left of the screen. This value can be adjusted by holding up or down on the joysitck and hit the menu button or menu combo buttons.
morgoth

Unread post by morgoth »

Can anybody confirm that turning on/off autofire works via the keyboard/F12 method?

ie "Maybe if you can't assign an OSD button using the control method then you could try the keyboard method where you keep the assigned button pressed and then tap F12 on your keyboard to set it up."

Try as I might, I cannot get autofire turned on via F12. Thanks,
12characters

Unread post by 12characters »

morgoth wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:00 am Can anybody confirm that turning on/off autofire works via the keyboard/F12 method?
Does F12 bring up the system menu as expected if you press the key alone? (Just to check that it is mapped correctly.)
morgoth

Unread post by morgoth »

Yep, hitting F12 brings up the OSD/menu.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

This may be a completely useless comment, but I noticed the other day that the idle message for the OSD on the Gameboy Advance says something like "control-alt-keypad 0 enables autofire".

That might be GBA-specific, but maybe other cores use that key, too?
Wave

Unread post by Wave »

It's too easy to activate these by accident, I do it semi-often. It's been noted elsewhere that it's a real problem for speedrunners and the like who have to throw out entire runs if they accidentally activate rapid fire.
she/her
12characters

Unread post by 12characters »

morgoth wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:00 am Can anybody confirm that turning on/off autofire works via the keyboard/F12 method?
No, it does not work for me either.
morgoth

Unread post by morgoth »

Thanks @12characters, I've been told that the F12 method should work, but have had no luck where I've tried it...
Chroma

Unread post by Chroma »

Wave wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:17 am

It's too easy to activate these by accident, I do it semi-often. It's been noted elsewhere that it's a real problem for speedrunners and the like who have to throw out entire runs if they accidentally activate rapid fire.

I agree with this, even not as a frequent speedrunner but just a casual player who likes to tinker settings here and there, you have to hit the menu button to get to all of the settings anyways, but end up turning it on by accident because you had a finger accidentally on a button with it. I'd love to see a toggle to prevent it from activating at all if unwanted.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

wmd

Unread post by wmd »

When I enable autofire, e.g for X-Multiply or R-Type arcade cores, the message appears on the screen (auto fire: 32ms) but the autofire is simply not working. Something else I am missing here? Instructions seem simple enough, and I am getting the correct on-screen message, but functionality not working.