Canadian MiSTer Sellers

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
siskavard

Canadian MiSTer Sellers

Unread post by siskavard »

If you are a MiSTer hardware dev, or know someone who is & is selling & shipping within Canada, please let us canucks know!
Cheers.
rickdangerous

Re: Canadian MiSTer Sellers

Unread post by rickdangerous »

We ship to Canada

MiSTer and FPGA Gaming European Shop
Classic MiSTer, MultiSystem, JAMMIX iTX and Official Addons.
https://ultimatemister.com powered by RetroShop.pt

siskavard

rickdangerous wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:04 am We ship to Canada
Most non-Canadian sellers do, however we typically get dinged with duty fees & everything shipped outside of Canada will likely be held, ripped apart or even stolen at customs. So shipping within Canada is ideal ;)
rickdangerous

Unread post by rickdangerous »

As I know, by the value declared, none had any problem. I will check and confirm.

MiSTer and FPGA Gaming European Shop
Classic MiSTer, MultiSystem, JAMMIX iTX and Official Addons.
https://ultimatemister.com powered by RetroShop.pt

LeftEmpty

Unread post by LeftEmpty »

I ordered mine from the Americas, and it had to go over the ocean, and I was expecting it to be inspected/taxed/stolen. None of it happened. I guess without a case, it looks too foreign to attract the attention!
foldor

Unread post by foldor »

I ordered from Legacy Pixels, and it came across the border with no duties. I'm certain it was even inspected since the tracking showed it being delayed at the border for a few days.
Xzarian

Unread post by Xzarian »

I'm in Canada as well and I've ordered everything from misteraddons which in the US. I don't remember getting hit with any duties from about 3 shipments from porkchop.
"MiSTer is not a garbage can with random functions used by 1-2 people."
-Sorgelig
siskavard

Xzarian wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:11 pm I'm in Canada as well and I've ordered everything from misteraddons which in the US. I don't remember getting hit with any duties from about 3 shipments from porkchop.
How long were your packages in customs, & did they rip any of them open?

Just curious about this because I ordered RAM from there & after a month & a half in customs, the package showed up looking like it was used as a soccer ball then set on fire. Thankfully the RAM inside wasn't damaged
dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

It's a crap shoot when passing through customs, using conventional post office means.

I am happy that misteraddons is looking into DHL (is it already available ?) because the USPS option is pretty darn slow... from his location to the first point where USPS will consider it "in the USPS system" takes about 4-5 business days, and is 2 states away. It is trackable in the USPS portal, but as the USPS doesn't consider it to be "in USPS" (rather it's a subcontractor), Canada Post doesn't get visibility to its movements, or even its existence.

and while you will always pay customs fees with DHL, they'll generally clear in less than 24 hours. i've even had DHL deliver packages on Sundays (although this was unexpected to everybody involved).
antibolo

Unread post by antibolo »

Tangentially related to this discussion, does anyone know a good place to order a Noctura fan for my MiSTer (NF-A4x10 5V) in Canada?

Amazon.ca is out of stock on that specific model and I can't find any other domestic sellers, and any foreign seller I found so far (including Amazon.com) would charge me completely unreasonable shipping fees (ie. more than the actual fan is worth).