Maximum input voltage for DE10-Nano / IO Board / USB hub?

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
sofakng

Maximum input voltage for DE10-Nano / IO Board / USB hub?

Unread post by sofakng »

Does anybody know the maximum input voltage for the DE10-Nano (and the I/O and USB boards) ?

I'm wondering if it would be safe to use 6V to allow for voltage drop, etc. I think somebody on Discord mentioning the DE10-Nano having over-voltage protection at 6V but I'm wondering if anybody has concerned this (and I don't want to fry any of my components!)
Mr. Encyclopedia

Re: Maximum input voltage for DE10-Nano / IO Board / USB hub?

Unread post by Mr. Encyclopedia »

I'd avoid giving it anything more than 5V, as that's what it's officially rated to receive. Perhaps it can handle 6V, but you'd be far from the first person to fry their MiSTer by using it in a way not recommended by the manufacturer. I have more than the usual number of USB devices plugged into my USB board, but it's just 2 arcade button controllers, GameCube adapter, keyboard, mouse, and WiFi adapter. I bought a beefy 5V 4A power supply that has never given me the slightest bit of trouble, if you're concerned about voltage drop I recommend that or an externally powered USB hub to take the pressure off the DE10-Nano.

Also, on the off chance you're asking if you can get away with 6V because you have some alternate power supply that provides 6V, I'd recommend instead getting a UBEC and hooking that up in-line between your 6V supply and the DE10. Adafruit has one that can provide 5V at 3A from any supply from 6V to 16V, perfect for the car battery or whatever it is you want to use to power your DE10.
sofakng

Unread post by sofakng »

Thanks for the reply and information.

I agree that I don't want to risk using anything not within tolerance. I can't find any actual datasheet on the DE10-Nano to see exactly what the minimum/maximum voltage is though.

I've also reached out to Terasic to see what they say but until I find out for sure I won't be providing anything above 5V.
gamesfan

Unread post by gamesfan »

5v , and to run many many Addons just supply more amps. I have used a 5v 8 amp to run all kids of things , even a 15inch display for a portable unit.
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

The DE 10 Nano rated for 5 Volts.
It even states 5 volts DC in the manual .

https://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page ... 81004f6d81

As for overvoltage protection, thats for small accidental power spikes, not for trying out more voltage.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
sofakng

Unread post by sofakng »

OK - Thanks for the help everybody!