release_20210831 USB hub doesn't work.

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
NerdENerd

release_20210831 USB hub doesn't work.

Unread post by NerdENerd »

I ran the update script and my USB devices stopped working. I tried a micro to USB A cable and it was fine. I tried creating a clean SD card with SD-Installer-Win64_MiSTer release_20210825.rar from GitHub and it works fine. Run the update script and hub doesn't work. Clean install from release_20210831.7z and it doesn't work.

Edit: I have 6 hubs here, 3 are the same two port OTG micro USB 2 hub, none work on the latest version all work on a downgrade. A cheap 4 port USB 2 hub, doesn't work on latest does on downgrade. I have a 3 port USB 3 hub with ethernet works on upgrade. Cheap 4 port USB 3 hub works on upgrade. So it seems my USB 3 hubs work and my USB 2 hubs don't.
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Re: release_20210831 USB hub doesn't work.

Unread post by bazza_12 »

all devices?
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
NerdENerd

It is the hub that doesn't work, controllers and keyboard work fine when plugged in via a micro to A USB cable.
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

Did the hub get its own power?
If you are using the official hub, are you using the provided stand offs?
What Kind of USB bridge are you using (the USB connector between the hub and the DE 10 Nano)?
Is anywhere you are getting a short?
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
NerdENerd

The hub works fine when I downgrade, I have 3 of them. They are a generic micro USB OTG two port hub that looks like this.
https://www.wish.com/product/5d1d7a25c1fddf0fea7e4d55
NerdENerd

I just tried another cheap 4 port hub I have in the cupboard, same thing. It gets power to my devices but MiSTer doesn't recognise them. Works on a downgrade.
esmith13

Unread post by esmith13 »

I have 2 MiSTer setups. One with the original official USB hub and the other with the latest version of the official USB hub. I have updated both of them to 210831 and the hubs work fine with keyboards, wifi dongle and xbox controllers, which I always keep connected to both.

I may have a generic OTG hub or two I can test with for you. Need to check...

Anyone else using generic OTG hub/adapters that can test?

EDIT:
I just tried two cheap (~$7 Micro USB OTG hubs) and both worked with Controller, Wifi and Keyboard connected.
The first was a Makerspot NON-POWERED OTG Hub (model AH10094) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JL837X8
The second was one of those generic "Squid" style POWERED Mico USB OTG hubs - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XD73SCH
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

I have two MiSTer setups as well. They are both using identical generic USB 7 port hubs. The Linux changes caused the hub and attached peripherals to no longer be recognized on my newest DE-10 Nano (purchased a few months ago). However, they are still recognized on my older DE-10 Nano which I purchased years ago. Per the thread below it appears that Terasic changed the functionality of the micro USB OTG port in newer revisions of the device. I'm wondering if this might have something to do with the fact that some users don't have issues while other users do.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3084&p=31342&hilit=usb+hub#p31342
esmith13

OnCor wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:35 pm I have two MiSTer setups as well. They are both using identical generic USB 7 port hubs. The Linux changes caused the hub and attached peripherals to no longer be recognized on my newest DE-10 Nano (purchased a few months ago). However, they are still recognized on my older DE-10 Nano which I purchased years ago. Per the thread below it appears that Terasic changed the functionality of the micro USB OTG port in newer revisions of the device. I'm wondering if this might have something to do with the fact that some users don't have issues while other users do.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3084&p=31342&hilit=usb+hub#p31342
Good find! The newest of my two is still about a year old and was bought from digi-key who had hundreds on the shelf for who knows how long...
I still have my boxes, wonder if there is a revision number or manufacture date on them...
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

I just happened on this topic from the old MiSTer forum that discusses the different revisions. There is a link to a PDF that supposedly shows you how to identify them. Interestingly Sorg mentions that "VBUS chip (5V supply from Micro USB OTG) has been changed from some revision. It doesn't directly affect the MiSTer but it may change compatibility with some USB hubs or peripherals."

https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=38029
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

Well I checked the document in the link and both of my boards appear to be revision C. So that kind of blows the theory that this issue is related to that variance. :(
akerasi

Unread post by akerasi »

I'm having a very similar problem, but the device/hub it's having an issue with is a Blisster v1; Devices "work", but act very strangely after upgrade. Keyboard or controllers (NES30 arcade stick via USB) work oddly, with things getting "stuck on" when pressed (including directions) and sometimes refusing to work at all (making navigation nigh-impossible). Blisster usage completely fails; no response at all from many various native controllers attached via Blisster. Wifi adapter still works via USB, and seems to work fine... but nothing else does, and trying things without wifi adapter attached doesn't change a thing. Reverting to a card with an earlier MiSTer version on it solves the problem completely.
zakk4223

Unread post by zakk4223 »

akerasi wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:25 am I'm having a very similar problem, but the device/hub it's having an issue with is a Blisster v1; Devices "work", but act very strangely after upgrade. Keyboard or controllers (NES30 arcade stick via USB) work oddly, with things getting "stuck on" when pressed (including directions) and sometimes refusing to work at all (making navigation nigh-impossible). Blisster usage completely fails; no response at all from many various native controllers attached via Blisster. Wifi adapter still works via USB, and seems to work fine... but nothing else does, and trying things without wifi adapter attached doesn't change a thing. Reverting to a card with an earlier MiSTer version on it solves the problem completely.
Update the firmware on you Blister ports with this script

https://github.com/MiSTer-LLAPI/Updater ... updater.sh
boatofcar

Unread post by boatofcar »

I'm having the same problem. Yesterday I ran update_all, and since then my OTG hub has stopped working, though it's still receiving power. I've tried the following:

SSH-ing into the board and running the regular update script
Replacing the new BIN with an older one

Still no dice. Any help would be much appreciated!
paulbnl
Core Developer

Unread post by paulbnl »

Try this kernel with release 0831:
zImage_dtb.zip
(5.99 MiB) Downloaded 162 times

Extract the zImage_dtb file from the zip file to the linux folder replacing the existing file.
boatofcar

paulbnl wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:50 am Try this kernel with release 0831:
zImage_dtb.zip
Extract the zImage_dtb file from the zip file to the linux folder replacing the existing file.
Thank you! I tried it though and still no dice :( It looks like the best way forward to is to downgrade, but I've looked online and I can't find instructions how to do that. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Also, how can I tell either through SSH or FTP what release I'm currently running?
Shuffle7

Unread post by Shuffle7 »

Any news or updates on this problem . My usb hub doesn’t seem to work as it should after the recent t Linux updates- the 8 bit do wired controller is no longer working. My keyboard works fine
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

Shuffle7 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:29 pm Any news or updates on this problem . My usb hub doesn’t seem to work as it should after the recent t Linux updates- the 8 bit do wired controller is no longer working. My keyboard works fine
I provided some files for investigation in the thread below. Hopefully one of the devs might be able to use those to figure out why some hubs don't function properly with the new Linux changes.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3168
esmith13

Did the September 6th update to MiSTer Menu & Linux OS fix the issue for any of you?
boatofcar

esmith13 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:07 pm Did the September 6th update to MiSTer Menu & Linux OS fix the issue for any of you?
Strangest thing--I thought it did but today my hub has failed again. Maybe it's just coincidence and I need a new hub?
NerdENerd

No. I tried a custom kernal built by paulbnl in another thread for debugging the issue and that worked.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3168&start=25