OSD menu by default when cores start

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
Dafoof

OSD menu by default when cores start

Unread post by Dafoof »

Hi,
I noticed that, after recent updates, some cores (TGFX16, Genesis, NeoGeo, maybe others) do not display the OSD menu when first loaded anymore, instead defaulting to a black, empty screen. You can always bring up the menu of course, by using your usual key bindings, but I definitely like it better when the menu is displayed by default, providing a quicker access to your library, and was wondering if this behaviour could be defined in a config file, or if it was hardcoded to the cores themselves.
If there is a way for users to configure it, I'd sure love to hear about it! :)

Cheers,

(Note that there is a similar discussion going on in the NeoGeo-specific section: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2073)
Flandango
Core Developer

Re: OSD menu by default when cores start

Unread post by Flandango »

I just did the full update (linux, cores...) and I don't have that issue.
A couple of notes:
1. It's up to each core to include such feature of showing you the OSD on bootup.
2. The cores that do provide the feature (ex. TGFX16, Genesis, Ti994/A...) will only show the OSD if no rom is loaded. So check to see if you don't have a boot.rom file in your games folder for that particular core. If you do, then it will load that and not display the OSD.

One thing you can try as a test, is rename the games folder for that particular core and see if the OSD pops up.
Dafoof

Unread post by Dafoof »

Thanks for the tips! I was pretty sure that I didn't have any boot.rom file in those folders, but double-checked just in case, and also temporarily renamed my regular games folders and created empty ones instead, but it didn't do the trick, I'm still getting a blank screen when booting up those cores. Any other idea what it could be?
Dafoof

Unread post by Dafoof »

It's working again! After the latest update, OSD menu appears on start by default once again for all mentioned cores. :)
Dafoof

Unread post by Dafoof »

Ah well, I spoke too soon of course, and it is now gone again, after another update... Still quite puzzled by this (and no, I don't have boot.rom files in the resp. games directories for those cores), as it does not even seem to be tied to versions of the cores themselves... I guess it'll change from update to update. XD