Upgrading SD Cards

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
RobotVM

Upgrading SD Cards

Unread post by RobotVM »

I am planning on getting a bigger SD card soon but am wondering if I can just move all my files over to the new card or if I need to go through the initial set up again?

Threepwood

Re: Upgrading SD Cards

Unread post by Threepwood »

Just setup the new card with the latest installer and then copy everything over from the old to the new one, overwriting files present. It should give you no issues.
RobotVM

Unread post by RobotVM »

Thanks!
keith.f.kelly

Unread post by keith.f.kelly »

Threepwood wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:33 pm It should give you no issues.
...except for symlinks, which (as discussed elsewhere in the Linux board) are a non-standard hack on top of exFAT filesystem, so if you’re using Windows to perform the copy, symlinks won’t get copied over correctly.
The Low-Res Gamer

Unread post by The Low-Res Gamer »

keith.f.kelly wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:35 am
Threepwood wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:33 pm It should give you no issues.
...except for symlinks, which (as discussed elsewhere in the Linux board) are a non-standard hack on top of exFAT filesystem, so if you’re using Windows to perform the copy, symlinks won’t get copied over correctly.
In that case, best to perform the usual setup and then copy over the ROM's ?
keith.f.kelly

Unread post by keith.f.kelly »

Well... it depends. Sorgelig mentioned he was thinking about changing how MiSTer flags symlinks in exFAT, to use the actual (S)ystem attribute, as that's not used for any other purpose in Linux. I don't know if he's already made that change or not. If he has, then a copy operation that preserves the (S)ystem attribute should result in the symlinks actually copying over fine; if he hasn't, then symlinks may not copy over correctly.

You can perform a quick test:
  1. On MiSTer, F9 to get to bash, and create a symlink someplace under /media/fat to use as a test.
  2. Insert your microSD into your PC, and copy (using whatever copy tool/command/program you intend to use to copy everything over) that "symlink" (which will look like an ordinary file) to another name.
  3. Put the microSD back into MiSTer, F9 to get to bash, and then go examine the copy and see if it looks like a proper symlink.
If that works, then you should be okay to copy across.
colonel panic

Unread post by colonel panic »

I got a MiSTer setup for my brother for his birthday last week and before I gave it to him I just ran the initial installer to format his SD card correctly, then just straight up copy-pasted everything in the root of my fat partition over to his card. I play-tested a few things and ran the update script as needed a few times before I gave it to him and everything seemed to work fine. He's had it for a week or so now and he said he hasn't ran into any issues yet either