Micro USB detached and lost. Now what?

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
TailsGuy

Micro USB detached and lost. Now what?

Unread post by TailsGuy »

For a year now my Micro USB got detached, and I don't have it with me. I finally found a micro SD card and bought a mini USB OTG. As it turns out the mini USB ports don't work with MiSTer, as far as I know. So, that's 200$ gone. I just lost my good headphones too. Today just keeps getting better....

Is there anyway I can actually use this thing or am I done? My soldering iron isnt working properly. Hasn't melted solder in a year. Is there some ini I can modify? Anything at all??
grizzly

Re: Micro USB detached and lost. Now what?

Unread post by grizzly »

This was a very unclear and confusing post!
With microusb got detached what do you mean by that?
Is it the microusb port on the DE-10 nano board that has been ripped off or is it a usb cable that is damaged and/or lost?
Mini OTG USB cable does not work on the DE-10 nano? NO it does not the DE-10 nano do have a MICRO usb NOT MINI usb.

200$ for a mini usb cable seems like you got fooled really good!
And i assume the headphones do not have anything at all to do with your mister right?

Or maybe Trump broke in ripped of the micro usb port on the de-10 and stole your headphones for good measures :shock:
legacypixels

Unread post by legacypixels »

The mini-usb (sorta trapazoid-y) port is the debug port. The micro port (flat almost usb-c looking) guy is the host usb port.
Assuming your host port is gone, only solution would be to solder on a new one, assuming the traces didn't get ripped away.
US based seller of MiSTer addon boards. Visit https://www.legacypixels.com/mister
redbob

Unread post by redbob »

I have the P0493 DE10-STANDARD DEV KIT with expansion SRAM. The USB micro connector has been broken twice now. The latest edition has a strain relieved usb hub permanently affixed to the clear housing. A broken trace was white wired to the USB chip.

Even with these countermeasures, normal use has resulted in a broken USB micro connection.

What would it take to spawn another USB host controller on the expansion IO? Preferably using a legit female USB-A pcb-mounted connector and a common expansion header.

I am new to the project for dev, though I have been a long time user without issues. I have experience with Xilinx vhdl. Willing to learn Altera and verilog. A few breadcrumbs for architecture/desire/theory of operation should there be interest.

cheers, rb