"One Type of core" Setup

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
lomdar67

"One Type of core" Setup

Unread post by lomdar67 »

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to setup MiSTer for only one type of core. For example setup one MiSTer for "Arcade Only" and another for "Consoles Only".

And than in the menu not start with the "Core folders" but inside a specific core folder (e.g. "_Arcade").

Best regards,
Michael
We raise hopes here...until they're old enough to fend for themselves.
--Mike Callahan
DevilHunterWolf

Re: "One Type of core" Setup

Unread post by DevilHunterWolf »

The MiSTer is only going to be able to play what you have on it. With my Neo Geo cabinet, I don't have the core files on it for other arcade or consoles. So if you want only arcade cores, then that's all you put on it (plus their associated ROMs, of course). Update scripts just tend to be a one quick solution but you are absolutely free to manually handle it however you want. People that pick up a MiSTer usually poke around and try what's available so many appreciate the one click and done. But if you want only specific cores on it, then that's all you need to copy to the microSD card. You can delete the cores you don't want. The core boot files (that .rbf file) don't even have to be in those specific folders like the _Arcade folder. It's just a nice organizational step and keeps it separate from the rest of the files on the base of the microSD card. And with how arcade cores are handled as more individual games, you'll still want a folder to organize it or it would be a mess of files.

As for starting the path in the _Arcade folder, I'm not aware of any way to do that. Arcade will be the first at the top so it's pretty quick to jump into the folder. And even for a console dedicated one, deleting or renaming the _Arcade and _Computer folders would put _Console at the top instead. But just keep in mind that may not play nicely with update scripts that are expecting files and folders to be in specific places.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

You can set mister to what cores you want updated or you can set it so only one thing or more gets updated.
I do not use it myself so can´t say how good/bad it works and more info on how to in this tread viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3374
SuperBabyHix

Unread post by SuperBabyHix »

To add to this, you can also specify a boot core, in the event you wanted to Mister to act like only one core. (e.g. boot into C64 core for dedicated C64). Of course you can still open the menu and launch other cores or go back to the main menu.

; lastcore - Autoboot the last loaded core (corename autosaved in CONFIG/lastcore.dat) first found on the SD/USB
; lastexactcore - Autoboot the last loaded exact core (corename_yyyymmdd.rbf autosaved in CONFIG/lastcore.dat) first found on the SD/USB
; corename - Autoboot first corename_*.rbf found on the SD/USB
; corename_yyyymmdd.rbf - Autoboot first corename_yyyymmdd.rbf found on the SD/USB
;bootcore=lastcore ; uncomment to autoboot a core, as the last loaded core.

; 10-30 timeout before autoboot, comment for autoboot without timeout.
bootcore_timeout=10
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

If I'm not mistaken, if you autoboot into an arcade core then when you switch cores the file selection will already be inside the _Arcade menu.