No longer getting video output after update

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
afx

No longer getting video output after update

Unread post by afx »

Hi,

I've just run the update all script on my Mister and everything seemed to be okay, it reached the end of the update and gave me the notification that it would reboot in 10 seconds, the Mister then rebooted and then... nothing. My monitor is saying it's not getting a signal over HDMI. I've tried reverting to the default Mister.ini file but with no luck, I'm still getting no signal.

Any ideas what the issue may be and anything I can try to attempt to fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help!
afx

Re: No longer getting video output after update

Unread post by afx »

It's fixed!

I replaced the main Mister file and Menu.rbf as advised in this twitter post:

https://twitter.com/MiSTerFPGABot/statu ... 1913436162
DoubleA

Unread post by DoubleA »

I'm sorry, but it's NOT fixed!
No video output after updating here, too.
And before the update i switched to the "new" updater, thus i'm pretty sure the new one messed up the video output.

Suggestions? (except for a brand new setup from the beginning and avoiding the new updater, because that's the easy but boring way out :-))
DoubleA

Unread post by DoubleA »

Ok, that's not good: Even a brand new setup didn't help, still get a black screen.
SSH and SFTP are working though, microSD is fully accessible.
Which log shows if there is a problem with video out?
afx

Unread post by afx »

DoubleA wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:56 pm I'm sorry, but it's NOT fixed!
No video output after updating here, too.
And before the update i switched to the "new" updater, thus i'm pretty sure the new one messed up the video output.

Suggestions? (except for a brand new setup from the beginning and avoiding the new updater, because that's the easy but boring way out :-))
Did you try manually replacing the MiSTer file and menu.rbf file as I advised in my second post?

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Distrib ... ain/MiSTer

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Distrib ... n/menu.rbf
DoubleA

Unread post by DoubleA »

afx wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:37 pm
Did you try manually replacing the MiSTer file and menu.rbf file as I advised in my second post?

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Distrib ... ain/MiSTer

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Distrib ... n/menu.rbf
Yes, i did. With release 20211112. Still a black screen / no video out.
DoubleA

Unread post by DoubleA »

This is very strange, but someone already described that as a TEMPORARY workaround:
Writing boot+files with version 20210917 brings back video output.

It seems that v20211112 had something unwanted in the belly.
Is'nt that the version that introduced shadow masks (which are part of the video output)?
AtomicShroom

Unread post by AtomicShroom »

Some people in the SNES section are reporting that they’re getting no video output if the Shadow Mask option is turned on with no mask selected, or if you previously had a mask selected and the file was removed/renamed due to an update. Maybe see if that’s what’s happening to you? Try either turning off shadow masks or reselecting one?
DoubleA

Unread post by DoubleA »

Additional info/correction: It's enough to write boot only (files are not needed) with v20210917 and video out works again.

This is reproducible: Every time update_all updates to v20211112 video out is lost (at least with my setup). It still works after the reboot after the update. But after a complete power cycle video out is gone.
adimifus

Unread post by adimifus »

DoubleA wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:47 pm Additional info/correction: It's enough to write boot only (files are not needed) with v20210917 and video out works again.

This is reproducible: Every time update_all updates to v20211112 video out is lost (at least with my setup). It still works after the reboot after the update. But after a complete power cycle video out is gone.
This same exact thing happens to me, although I don't get network access like you said you do. Mine just straight up fails to boot. The change in the bootloader seems to be related to using a USB Blaster to load cores, so for normal usage reverting to 20210917 should be fine I would think.
CypherCX

Unread post by CypherCX »

I have the same problem. Tested on VGA output. As of version 20211010, the LCD monitor tells me that it does not support the resolution. By measuring with an oscilloscope on the VGA output, I measured fully functioning signals (H / V sync + RGB video: 58.5Hz 16.5kHz). No change was made by changing the resolution setting (video_mode = 0-13) from the ini file. I also noticed that the size of the releases files started to decrease from this version. Isn't there a problem with the compiler or linker?
SS4Rob

Unread post by SS4Rob »

I solved this update problem for my setup. I've been on the same MiSTer build for years, always updating with "update.sh" and "update_all.sh", so I assumed it was handling everything, including Linux. With a suggestion from theypsilon, I peeked in update.ini and saw this:

Code: Select all

#EXPERIMENTAL: specifies if the Kernel, the Linux filesystem and the bootloader will be updated; use it at your own risk!
UPDATE_LINUX="false"

#EXPERIMENTAL: specifies if the update process must be done with parallel processing; use it at your own risk!
PARALLEL_UPDATE="false"
Flipping that to "true" updated my Linux, fixed "downloader.sh" (I was missing 'python3' so it wasn't working) and *poof*, the black screen after update problem is gone with the latest version of MiSTer_220108 working perfectly! Previously whenever I updated, I always had to revert to MiSTer_20210917 to get video back, but now, the most up to date version is working correctly. I can't imagine me manually not allowing Linux to update, so maybe this was an old default at some point that I never noticed? Anyway, updating Linux solved my problem. Good luck!