Getting a preconfigured MiSTer

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
misterrocks

Getting a preconfigured MiSTer

Unread post by misterrocks »

This looks like an incredibly cool project! I'd like to grab a preconfigured MiSTer and case but have a few questions.

Can I get a controller that will work with all cores? I'm only interested in shmups so just need a stick and a few buttons.

Do I need an IO board if I'm not capturing? I'd like to do without a fan if possible.

How often does the hardware change in the preconfigured package? If I buy one now will I miss out on near-term hardware improvements?
Piplup87

Re: Getting a preconfigured MiSTer

Unread post by Piplup87 »

- there are lists of controllers that work with the MiSTer. They are all mappable by core, so if it works on MiSTer at all itll work with every core. Just google mister compatible controllers and find one you like for the games you're interested in.

- the primary benefits of the IO board are the active cooling, the VGA output (for CRTs or monitors), SNAC (biggest benefit is lightguns), and a microUSB slot for specific computer cores. It sounds like you wont be using any of that. If you're not using active cooling definitely get some kind of passive cooling setup for yourself in the form of a copper heatsink (opinions differ on the necessity and there is some good analysis you can find online with heat measurements of the chip under different configurations. I figure the copper heatsink and a bit of thermal paste is so cheap anyways, it's silly to skip out)

- open source projects mean that there are hardware revisions all the time. Dont let FOMO get in your way here, if the device you're buying does what you want and meets your needs then you're golden, a new device or a change next year wont change the fact that what you have now meets your needs. The biggest question people have been asking themselves lately is if they will need to get rid of their IO board to accommodate extra RAM for the PS1 core (my understanding is the dev has said this is unlikely to be necessary and that they are working to fit within the current 128 RAM, but you never know). There have been incremental changes to hardware versions along the way for stability and longevity, especially with the RAM to avoid hardware failing. Biggest thing here is to get your RAM module from a reputable seller, so any of the sellers listed on the forums here.

Best of luck
misterrocks

Just did some digging and I'm leaning toward the Mayflash F300 Elite arcade stick. I'm super sensitive to input lag so hoping that one is really quick.

Is the IO board fan pretty silent?

Does audio over HDMI work?
Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

misterrocks wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:57 pm Just did some digging and I'm leaning toward the Mayflash F300 Elite arcade stick. I'm super sensitive to input lag so hoping that one is really quick.

Is the IO board fan pretty silent?

Does audio over HDMI work?
If you get a Noctua fan is dead silent. And yes audio does travel through the HDMI.
misterrocks

Any other items smart to grab at the same time? I was thinking the port covers might be nice.
misterrocks

I get an error if I try to add something to the shopping cart, or use the Contact page, or use the chat. Tried Chrome and Firefox.