i2s audio

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
spacejockey

i2s audio

Unread post by spacejockey »

Hi,

I want to connect an audio raspberry hat by i2s for which I need to know if I have to configure something in particular.
On the wiki I have not found anything about it.
Slein
Core Developer

Re: i2s audio

Unread post by Slein »

Hi!
A little late, but after a long search for the info this may help the next adventurer.

Look at this thread, first post, pic 5:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1372&p=11773&hilit=i2s#p11773

yellow, jp7 pin 12, gnd
green, jp7 pin 9, lrclk
blue, jp7 pin 7, data
purple, jp7 pin 2, bclk

The GPIO 1 (JP7) pinout is in the DE10 manual here, page 27.

I'm using one of the cheap PCM5102 boards, powered by 3.3v from jp7 pin 29.

Don't forget to switch audio output to i2s, again look at pic 5 and the big metal switches.

Good luck :)
Mills

Unread post by Mills »

Slein wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:10 pm Hi!
A little late, but after a long search for the info this may help the next adventurer.

Look at this thread, first post, pic 5:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1372&p=11773&hilit=i2s#p11773

yellow, jp7 pin 12, gnd
green, jp7 pin 9, lrclk
blue, jp7 pin 7, data
purple, jp7 pin 2, bclk

The GPIO 1 (JP7) pinout is in the DE10 manual here, page 27.

I'm using one of the cheap PCM5102 boards, powered by 3.3v from jp7 pin 29.

Don't forget to switch audio output to i2s, again look at pic 5 and the big metal switches.

Good luck :)
I also got a PCM5102 board, but I just can't make it work, can you share an image of yours connected?.

Thanks!.
Slein
Core Developer

Unread post by Slein »

Hi,
this is how i connected the module and don't forget the dip switches. I2s output needs to be activated or you will get pure digital noise.

I later realised that there was/is noise from the fan, so i tried 5v for VCC without much luck. This module has onboard regulators, yours might not and might need 3.3v.

If anyone has ideas about the fan noise, let me know. I don't know how the noise compares to the official io board, i don't own one.

LCK is mislabeled on this module, its LRCK.
Mister_PCM5102.png
Mister_PCM5102.png (740.73 KiB) Viewed 4920 times
ToothbrushThreepwood

Unread post by ToothbrushThreepwood »

Edit: Moved question to more relevant topic.
Mills

Unread post by Mills »

Slein wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:51 am Hi,
this is how i connected the module and don't forget the dip switches. I2s output needs to be activated or you will get pure digital noise.

I later realised that there was/is noise from the fan, so i tried 5v for VCC without much luck. This module has onboard regulators, yours might not and might need 3.3v.

If anyone has ideas about the fan noise, let me know. I don't know how the noise compares to the official io board, i don't own one.

LCK is mislabeled on this module, its LRCK.

Mister_PCM5102.png
Thanks!. I got the same card, (the tiny purple one) and it just doesn't work for me, I don't know if I have to activate something else in the ini or in linux, because there is just no sound at all, not even noises.
Slein
Core Developer

Unread post by Slein »

Theres only the wires and the micro/dip/switch on the mister side of things, no software configuration.

The PCm5102 has some configuration pins, FMT needs to be pulled low (format -> i2s) and XSMT pulled high (un-mute).
This specific module has some solder bridges for that, see pictures from the bottom at this link to banggood, should be ok like that.
Mills

Unread post by Mills »

Slein wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:08 pm Theres only the wires and the micro/dip/switch on the mister side of things, no software configuration.

The PCm5102 has some configuration pins, FMT needs to be pulled low (format -> i2s) and XSMT pulled high (un-mute).
This specific module has some solder bridges for that, see pictures from the bottom at this link to banggood, should be ok like that.
Everything seems to be correct, but there is not even noise, I think the jack conecctor is not working, or there is something else broken, I'll try to solder it again later, and leave it.

Thanks.