HDMI Failure

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
rgavril

HDMI Failure

Unread post by rgavril »

I have the DE10-Nano since March and use it mainly on a PVM. A couple of days ago I tried to play a game on my TV but I’ve notice that the HDMI was not displaying anything.

After a long time tweaking the config I manage to get something to display but all the colors have a red tint and the image has strange artefacts. I could only get this image on a low resolution (1024x768) and with dvi_mode=1 (no sound) : https://streamable.com/2vzy4b

I ruled out some of the possible causes:
- Tested without any addons (no I/O board, no RAM module or USB devices)
- Bought a new power supply (5V/4A)
- Checked on different TVs and different HDMI cables
- Tried with a fresh install of mister on a different SD card
- Tried the Terasic SD image but got nothing showing on screen (probably the screen resolution was to high to get any signal).

Considering the above, it's probably a hardware problem. I’m not a expert in electronics but I did some basic checks on the board:
- Got an old hdmi cable which I cut used a multimeter to check the continuity between each wire and the hdmi socket on the board, all looked fine.
- Even went as far as checking the continuity between the hdmi socket and the ADV7513 controller on the board
Haven’t noticed any short circuits or interrupted lines on the output side.

I’m probably unlucky and ready to consider buying another DE10 but if someone knows what could have caused this I would appreciate any feedback.
rgavril

Re: HDMI Failure

Unread post by rgavril »

Getting back in case somebody bumps into same problem and finds out this post.

After more looking around it I finaly detected a short between HDMI PIN3 (TMDS Data2 -) and Ground. That explains the messed up image as TMDS Data2 sends red channel data to the display.

No idea what could have caused it, as there are no visible bridges on the circuit board or inside the HDMI port.

Since is within 90 days from when I bought it I hope Mouser or Terasic will give me option for fixing / replacing it under their 90 days limited warranty.

Enjoy your retro gaming ! ;)