Noob question about power input on MiSTer

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
JudgeDrokk

Noob question about power input on MiSTer

Unread post by JudgeDrokk »

Hey MiSTers!

I have a 'noob' question - the enclosed photo is a MiSTer I will have soon (comes in official case - USB 2.1, IO, and D10).

I've seen people use 5v power-lead splitters to power the USB and D10 from one power supply - This case does not have two 5v

inputs - but the USB board at the bottom has two USB that are marked 'Power' - so (sorry of this sounds so dumb) -

Does this mean or showthat I wont need a splitter and will instead add power to the USB hub

via USB lead in the same way I would power a SNES Mini or charge my phone?

Thanks!
Attachments
Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (43.61 KiB) Viewed 6044 times
dshadoff
Core Developer

Re: Noob question about power input on MiSTer

Unread post by dshadoff »

This is really a question you should be asking the person selling it to you.
But it looks like the power routing to the usb board is internal, meaning you would not have to worry about separate supplies.
JudgeDrokk

dshadoff wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:06 pm This is really a question you should be asking the person selling it to you.
But it looks like the power routing to the usb board is internal, meaning you would not have to worry about separate supplies.
Thanks! - I guess it must be internal and maybe a feature of that case (Official MiSTer Stormtrooper Gold Case - as there is no port for a second 5v input?
dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

I'm not familiar with that case, which is why I suggested that the seller is the best person to ask...
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

So the left power port is just a powered USB port--good for charging devices, etc. The one on the right is in place of the USB board's DC input jack, but is also just a USB power output. Since it doesn't have its own DC power in port, I assume that means it's only getting power from the micro USB connection in the front of the MiSTer. That would make it unsuitable for use with many peripherals at once or with power hungry peripherals like a USB hard drive.

Double check with the seller and see if they did some sort of internal power routing to pull power from the MiSTer's DC input rather than just the micro USB port. I've seen something like that were a USB board will have pins that reach up to contact the DE-10 Nano's power jack thru pins.
JudgeDrokk

Sigismond0 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:18 pm So the left power port is just a powered USB port--good for charging devices, etc. The one on the right is in place of the USB board's DC input jack, but is also just a USB power output. Since it doesn't have its own DC power in port, I assume that means it's only getting power from the micro USB connection in the front of the MiSTer. That would make it unsuitable for use with many peripherals at once or with power hungry peripherals like a USB hard drive.

Double check with the seller and see if they did some sort of internal power routing to pull power from the MiSTer's DC input rather than just the micro USB port. I've seen something like that were a USB board will have pins that reach up to contact the DE-10 Nano's power jack thru pins.
Thanks for the info - the seller is on holiday atm (lucky for some), but the contents of the MiSTer are...

400gb SD card
Official I/O Board XL 6 including Silent Fan
Memory XS-D v2.5 128MB SDRAM
MiSTer Official Hub 2.1 with VBUS Control
MiSTer Hub
ADC Board for Audio In / Tape Input
Wakefield-Vette Heatsink
Official MiSTer Gold Case
TerasIC DE10-nano (Cyclone® V SoC)
2A PSU
SD Card Starter Pack
Real Time Clock 1.3 Board
Noctua Premium Fan NF-A4x10 5V
MiSTer VGA to RGB Scart Cable

So, a "MiSTer Official Hub 2.1 with VBUS Control" looks like this........

https://ultimatemister.com/product/orig ... -case-kit/ (second of the three photos)

and doesent appear to have a DC input? There is a bridge there though.......
JBeau

Unread post by JBeau »

JudgeDrokk wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:08 pmand doesent appear to have a DC input? There is a bridge there though.......
There are small pins (upper left in picture) that touch the DE10 nano board for power. I have the same setup but with a Digital IO board and I don’t need a splitter (and have an on/off switch too!).
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

Yep, that's exactly what I was talking about. It draws power directly from the board, so you get an extra power-only USB port instead of a DC input jack.
JudgeDrokk

JBeau wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:31 pm
JudgeDrokk wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:08 pmand doesent appear to have a DC input? There is a bridge there though.......
There are small pins (upper left in picture) that touch the DE10 nano board for power. I have the same setup but with a Digital IO board and I don’t need a splitter (and have an on/off switch too!).
Thanks for that! I can now relax... It's apreciated. :-)
JudgeDrokk

Sigismond0 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:24 pm Yep, that's exactly what I was talking about. It draws power directly from the board, so you get an extra power-only USB port instead of a DC input jack.
Thanks! - my worries are answered. Cheers! :-)