Problem with ViewSonic VSD224 HDMI Screen [Solved]

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
OldBoar

Problem with ViewSonic VSD224 HDMI Screen [Solved]

Unread post by OldBoar »

Hi, I'm brand new to MiSTer, and I do not succeed in setting it up - so I hope to find some help here.

I have a ViewSonic VSD224 monitor, which has an Android mode and a HDMI input mode. I use this screen with several laptops (Linux and Windows) without problems.

I tried booting from both the Linux SD card which comes with the DE10-Nano, and with several mr-fusion 2.2 SD cards (created using the Linux dd command). I tried the installation both with and without the USB-hub (v2.1) and the 128MB RAM module. I tried both with and without connecting the Ethernet cable.

On the DE10-Nano board, the blue and orange LEDs light up, and the green LEDs 4 and 8 are blinking - where can I find what that means?.

If I connect a keyboard, it briefly lights up when I use the original DE10-Nano SD card and then it goes out. When I use the mr-fusion SD card, the keyboard lights up and stays on.

On my screen, I only get the "NO SIGNAL" message when I start up, and then it switches to Android mode. If I switch back to HDMI input mode, it shows after a couple of seconds the same message and then goes back to Android.

Does somebody have experience with this kind of "smart screens", or any pointers to how to troubleshoot this?
parity

Re: Problem with ViewSonic VSD224 HDMI Screen

Unread post by parity »

Hi,

i had similar problems getting my hdmi to work(also quite new, have it running for ~2 weeks now). In my case the monitor(Tv) only accepted the hdmi signal after i connected the ethernet cable. Other monitors had different strange behaviours. This lead me to the assumtion that the hdmi signal itselve is a bit problematic.
What solved it in my case was to connect a cheap hdmi splitter in between the de10 and the monitor(Was already part of my planed setup).

But before you try different connection combitions(cables, splitter etc) you should check if youre MISTer is up and running. For this you can just connect via ssh.
OldBoar

Unread post by OldBoar »

Thanks, I will try that.
OldBoar

Unread post by OldBoar »

parity wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:54 am What solved it in my case was to connect a cheap hdmi splitter in between the de10 and the monitor
This indeed solves the problem, thanks again!
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

I've had one receiver that also rejects the Mister signal, I think it has something to do with how its pins signal CEC incorrectly, which can set off sensitive devices. This is why some splitters or adapters that do not pass on CEC fix the problem.