Console cores black screen

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
Sefirosu789

Console cores black screen

Unread post by Sefirosu789 »

Hi all,

I've mostly been using the MiSTer via VGA. However, I've just plugged it into my modern display via HDMI and all console cores display a black screen.
I tried another monitor, updating to latest ver, a different HDMI cable but no console cores will work. They all show a black screen but the NES core shows a grey screen and yes I've tried loading a ROM!

The arcade cores work just fine.

I've also tried changing my .ini to the one on the MiSTer github as I did change it a bit for VGA. Still doesn't work.

Would anyone be able to give some advice?
Really don't want to have to format the SD card :roll:
jdeberhart

Re: Console cores black screen

Unread post by jdeberhart »

Do you have the SDRAM card installed? Most console cores require it.
If you do have it, I'd recommend using the memtest utility to check for errors.
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

Do they show the menu, or just complete black?
Sefirosu789

jdeberhart wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:36 pm Do you have the SDRAM card installed? Most console cores require it.
If you do have it, I'd recommend using the memtest utility to check for errors.
Yes I have a 32MB SDRAM module installed. Since I've made this thread, I have actually been testing the SDRAM as it goes...

I don't quite get the Memtest, aren't the red numbers meant to display how many errors it encounters? Mine looks like this (the red numbers keep increasing as it continues):

aSITPnf.jpg
aSITPnf.jpg (753.48 KiB) Viewed 6885 times

I also removed the SDRAM and the Genesis core works. When I place it back in the MiSTer, the Genesis core won't work -- black screen.
Sigismond0 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:36 pm Do they show the menu, or just complete black?
The menus show. When I load a core the screen is just black, I press the middle button on the MiSTer, choose load rom, but the screen just stays black whenever I boot a rom :/
JBeau

Unread post by JBeau »

That’s not good. Your SDRAM is not working correctly.
jdeberhart

Unread post by jdeberhart »

The Genesis and TG16 cores don't need the SDRAM if I remember correctly, but will/can use it if it's there.
Nat

Unread post by Nat »

Looking at your memory test results your SDRAM has an issue, the single number 1 on the second line denotes you have a 32MB module (1 = 32MB, 2 = 64MB, 3 = 128MB).

The 070 on the top line denotes the current speed in Mhz the memory is being tested at. It will have started the test at 160Mhz and then when it detects an error is down clocks by 10Mhz until it finds a stable speed, the lowest it will down clock is to 70Mhz, so it has encountered an error at every tested speed. The red number on the bottom row is the number of errors.

I would recommend that you remove and reinstall your SDRAM module and run the test again. If this still fails I would contact the seller and see about getting a replacement module. If you have made the memory module yourself check for solder bridges on any of the chips pins.
MiSTer FPGA Add-On Boards : UK based, low cost worldwide shipping.
https://MiSTerFPGA.co.uk/
Sefirosu789

Nat wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:59 pm Looking at your memory test results your SDRAM has an issue, the single number 1 on the second line denotes you have a 32MB module (1 = 32MB, 2 = 64MB, 3 = 128MB).

The 070 on the top line denotes the current speed in Mhz the memory is being tested at. It will have started the test at 160Mhz and then when it detects an error is down clocks by 10Mhz until it finds a stable speed, the lowest it will down clock is to 70Mhz, so it has encountered an error at every tested speed. The red number on the bottom row is the number of errors.

I would recommend that you remove and reinstall your SDRAM module and run the test again. If this still fails I would contact the seller and see about getting a replacement module. If you have made the memory module yourself check for solder bridges on any of the chips pins.

I see, thanks for the explanation of the memtest.

I have removed and reinstalled it 3 times and no luck. I think the chip is busted. I reflowed the visible pins too.
I ordered from ultimatemister a few years ago but last time I tried to make an order there this year they didn't even reply so I'm not going to bother with that. My SDRAM is due an upgrade anyways.

I think I will order the PCB from misterfpga.co.uk and solder one up myself. Would anyone happen to have a BOM for the SDRAM XS-D v2.5? I can't find it anywhere

edit: Found it here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... mbly-(DIY)

"SDRAM Board v2.4/v2.5 (dual chip)

top row: 10uf, 0.1uf, 10uf, 0.1uf
bottom row: 10uf, 1uf, 1uf, 10uf, 10uf, 1uf, 1uf, 10uf"

But what goes on U3?
Nat

Unread post by Nat »

Sefirosu789 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:43 pm
But what goes on U3?
An inverter

Texas Instruments SN74LVC1G04DBVR
MiSTer FPGA Add-On Boards : UK based, low cost worldwide shipping.
https://MiSTerFPGA.co.uk/
Sefirosu789

Nat wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:57 pm
Sefirosu789 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:43 pm
But what goes on U3?
An inverter

Texas Instruments SN74LVC1G04DBVR
Great. Thank you!
KnC

Unread post by KnC »

Just had a quick read of this thread initial post says you have been using vga for the mister and later you mention you have had the ram for years
So would i be right in thinking it works fine using vga but not when using hdmi ...

If this is correct then making a new ram board will no doubt give the same result it seems you need to find out why it is not working when hdmi is plugged in first ?
Sefirosu789

KnC wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:33 am Just had a quick read of this thread initial post says you have been using vga for the mister and later you mention you have had the ram for years
So would i be right in thinking it works fine using vga but not when using hdmi ...

If this is correct then making a new ram board will no doubt give the same result it seems you need to find out why it is not working when hdmi is plugged in first ?
I believe the RAM still won't work with VGA either. I will test it now! But I think the RAM is dead anyway...

Update: thanks for the suggestion. I tried VGA but nope, still doesn't work. I understand where you are coming from, but it turns out that what I thought was originally the problem (HDMI), isn't. The problem seems to be the SDRAM, I am gonna get the 128 MB one!
Sefirosu789

0x15e wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:49 pm FWIW I recently had a 32MB SDRAM die on me the same way. It worked fine one day and a bunch of console cores started failing the next. Fortunately for me it was soon enough after purchase that the seller refunded me (said he'd seen the same issue on another one in the batch) and I picked up a 128MB from him. Replacing the ram solved the problem for me and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

And re: the VGA vs. HDMI thing, in case it's helpful for anyone, I was using HDMI the whole time. I've never even plugged anything into the analog video on my IO board.
Thanks for your reply. I thought this was the same problem for me, but I've now replaced the 32MB SDRAM with a 128MB SDRAM and it still won't work - same issue occurs.

The device detects the RAM as shown in the video, but the test seems to show errors when it hits 70 on the memtest. Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeI2hVQ ... e=youtu.be

I guess the DE10 Nano is faulty. I've had it for 2 yrs & never bothered to use a case with it, so there's a chance something on the DE10 may have shorted, I guess. Getting a new DE10 is a pain ... But I don't see any other option.

Edit: If anyone in Europe that has upgraded to 128MB SDRAM and no longer requires their old - working - 32MB SDRAM... Please contact me as I would like to buy one to see if the SDRAM is really the problem, or if its the DE10.