Updater script config to not pull down removed cores?

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
massatari

Updater script config to not pull down removed cores?

Unread post by massatari »

Hello. Hoping the forum can assist. I've searched but can't come up with anything to help.

I only want the MiSTer to show certain arcade cores in the list. I am using a horizontal monitor and don't want vertically oriented games in my list of arcade cores.

If I use the Core_Manager.sh my list of arcade cores to delete is only '/media/fat/_Arcade/*.rbf'. I didn't think that I'd want to delete that, and there is no .rbf in that directory. When I remove the desired core .mra files from the /media/fat/_Arcade, they are removed from my list but running an update.sh will then pull down and install the cores again.

What is the preferred method of showing only specific cores persistently? I went through the startup.ini file looking for any specific configurable but I didn't see anything really evident there. The updater script itself seems to pull the most recent updater from the github repo and run it as is, so there isn't really anything I could do locally to change the updater. What am I missing here?

Thanks!
Nat

Re: Updater script config to not pull down removed cores?

Unread post by Nat »

Give this a try, adjust the setting DOWNLOAD_NEW_CORES="false"; the updater will not download any new cores, it will just update the cores which are on your SD card, then use the core_manager.sh to install or delete cores.
MiSTer FPGA Add-On Boards : UK based, low cost worldwide shipping.
https://MiSTerFPGA.co.uk/
massatari

Nat wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:25 pm Give this a try, adjust the setting DOWNLOAD_NEW_CORES="false"; the updater will not download any new cores, it will just update the cores which are on your SD card, then use the core_manager.sh to install or delete cores.
OK thanks I will check that option out I originally thought new cores were cores new to the project, I guess that doesn't make much sense now that I think about it.
massatari

Nat wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:25 pm Give this a try, adjust the setting DOWNLOAD_NEW_CORES="false"; the updater will not download any new cores, it will just update the cores which are on your SD card, then use the core_manager.sh to install or delete cores.

hmm. that's already set to that in the .ini
DOWNLOAD_NEW_CORES="false"
massatari

OK, digging a little bit deeper here.

My update.sh script is set to curl /MiSTer-devel/Updater_script_MiSTer/blob/master/mister_updater.sh
which sets that value to true by default

#Specifies what to do with new cores not installed locally:
#true for downloading new cores in the standard directories (see CORE_CATEGORY_PATHS),
#false for not downloading new cores at all,
#a string value, i.e. "NewCores", for downloading new cores in the "NewCores" subdirectory.
DOWNLOAD_NEW_CORES="true"

It looks like my local update script is not parsing the ini correctly when the mister_Updater is pulled and executed. Anyone have any thoughts on getting that ini file settings to load up correctly in the mister_updater? I suppose I could host a personal version of the mister_Updater that is set to my specific settings.. Might not be a bad idea if I needed something for disaster recovery.
massatari

OK I think I have something here.
my update.ini was in /media/fat/Scripts. I did not have one in /media/fat/Scripts/.mister_updater. I moved the update.ini file to the /media/fat/Scripts/.mister_updater directory. And it worked succesfully.