Screen Mirroring

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
jvas

Screen Mirroring

Unread post by jvas »

I have a Jamma cabinet in which the display can be seen through a mirror. Is there a general option to display everything mirrored in order to see the picture right in my cabinet?

Thanks,
Jozsi
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Re: Screen Mirroring

Unread post by Newsdee »

There is no such option, I don't think that's a common problem. What cabinet is it out of curiosity?

It would require having a framebuffer that can cache the image and display it in reverse, so it would add lag.
I don't think even the OSSC or XRGB-Mini (dedicated upscalers) have that capability, but I could be wrong.

Edit: there is a commercial device that can do it, but it's not cheap: http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/datapath.html
jvas

Unread post by jvas »

It is PointBlank/GunBullet: https://arcadedirect.co.uk/point-blank-arcade-machine/
I was planning to add sticks/buttons to it and use it with MiSTER
lupin3rd

Unread post by lupin3rd »

It can be done super easily with a 3-4 minute hack of the yoke wires on the CRT tube. You just need to identify which axes need to be mirrored, and then snip and flip the wires for those yokes on the monitor itself. If you didn't want the permanent change, you could always try to wire up a switch to control flipping. Some monitors from that era have easier ways to flip the yoke (e.g. You can flip the 2 vertical wires on the monitor chassis itself, or the 2 horizontal wires), in essence only connecting them to the chassis in a different orientation. This is risky to the chassis, however, if you hook up the vertical to the horizontal or vice versa.
jvas

Unread post by jvas »

lupin3rd wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:10 pm It can be done super easily with a 3-4 minute hack of the yoke wires on the CRT tube. You just need to identify which axes need to be mirrored, and then snip and flip the wires for those yokes on the monitor itself. If you didn't want the permanent change, you could always try to wire up a switch to control flipping. Some monitors from that era have easier ways to flip the yoke (e.g. You can flip the 2 vertical wires on the monitor chassis itself, or the 2 horizontal wires), in essence only connecting them to the chassis in a different orientation. This is risky to the chassis, however, if you hook up the vertical to the horizontal or vice versa.
It seems you might be right:
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (241.18 KiB) Viewed 4071 times
retrorepair

Unread post by retrorepair »

The above is the way to resolve this but any game which supports this would be changable in the DIP settings (arcade only).

Also please don't do that if it's an original Point Blank, they are getting hard to find! You'd be far better off I think selling it to someone as a project (if it's missing guns, game etc) and buying a generic JAMMA cabinet.
jvas

Unread post by jvas »

retrorepair wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:43 am The above is the way to resolve this but any game which supports this would be changable in the DIP settings (arcade only).

Also please don't do that if it's an original Point Blank, they are getting hard to find! You'd be far better off I think selling it to someone as a project (if it's missing guns, game etc) and buying a generic JAMMA cabinet.
The picture above is from the manual of the Hantarex monitor which is in the PointBlank. It seems it has support for normal yoke.
retrorepair

Unread post by retrorepair »

I meant adding joysticks to it but that's up to you I guess.
lupin3rd

Unread post by lupin3rd »

Yeah, I have some Point Blank arcade boards lying around. Been trying to find a cabinet for them! If we lived close, I'd be willing to trade you another cabinet for it.