Needing to replug 8bitdo m30 2.4 receiver for MiSTer to detect it each start

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
jamesfk

Needing to replug 8bitdo m30 2.4 receiver for MiSTer to detect it each start

Unread post by jamesfk »

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is an issue with the M30 or the Mister, but I bought an 8bitdo m30 2.4 as that seemed to be recommended by several people as a solid wireless controller for the Mister.

I've updated the firmware on the M30 to the latest, and it works fine, but each time I power on the Mister - even though the controller appears to be synced, nothing works on the Mister until I unplug the USB receiver and plug it back in again. Once this is done it works fine until the Mister is turned off.

I don't want unnecessary wear on the USB ports by doing this - has anyone had a similar issue or have any advice for me, please?

Otherwise really enjoying getting all the 80s 8bit micros up and running on this amazing piece of kit :)

Thanks,
James
Hellz

Re: Needing to replug 8bitdo m30 2.4 receiver for Mister to detect it each start

Unread post by Hellz »

I have the same issue with the 8bitdo bluetooth adapter. Altho it hasnt happened in a while. Sometimes ive to replug it after every start.
jamesfk

Re: Needing to replug 8bitdo m30 2.4 receiver for Mister to detect it each start

Unread post by jamesfk »

Hi Hellz,

Thanks for confirming - I hope mine will settle down, and I might use a small USB extension cable in the mean time so I don't stress the Mister port too much.

I've also got a Logitech wireless keyobard and that's fine on each restart so I was assuming a controller would be, too.
Ifury512

Unread post by Ifury512 »

I was having the same issue, one of the things that fix it for me was remapping the controller again. After that I haven't had any issues.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

What are you using for a USB hub?
birdybro~
Ifury512

I am using the https://misteraddons.com/products/usb-hub-v2-1, usb hub 2.1 for the mister.
jamesfk

Unread post by jamesfk »

Hi Ifury, ok I'll try doing the same and see if that settles things down - not too many buttons on it at least!

aberu - the official Mister one, in an official Mister case, thought I should go down that route for my first to minimise any issues.
jamesfk

Unread post by jamesfk »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help - in the end I moved the receiver into a USB port on the other side of the Mister, and since then it's been working upon restart. For some reason it needed to be removed and reinserted in the two spaces on the original side. No idea why - but fingers crossed it will keep working :)
Ifury512

Re: Needing to replug 8bitdo m30 2.4 receiver for MiSTer to detect it each start

if the issue comes back, I highly recommend to turn off your fast polling if you have it on.
lazytechnician

Re: Needing to replug 8bitdo m30 2.4 receiver for MiSTer to detect it each start

Unread post by lazytechnician »

Having a very similar issue here
Turning off fast polling didn't seem to help though
I wonder is there not enough power going to the USBs maybe? As sometimes my keyboard is also unresponsive (connected via its own usb dongle)

Always works fine after pulling out and replugging the 8bitdo receiver, but hardly ideal
Ifury512

You can always troubleshoot and don't use the splitter, if you have a extra power supply connect it to the usb board and check if you still have issues. Just remember to use a 5v, 2A, positive inner. So the same power supply the de10 nano has. I use a Triad 5v 4A for mine with a splitter and I dont have issues after I remapped the controller and turn off the fast polling. Hopefully this will help.
Tacoguy125

Unread post by Tacoguy125 »

If you use HDMI it may be worth trying to disable CEC pin due to voltage causing weirdness. Or try analog output. Just troubleshooting ideas.
lazytechnician

Unread post by lazytechnician »

Not sure if this is just massive coincidence or not..

But, over the last few days, I've found that if I power the Mister on, then leave it for a while (5 mins or so) - Both Keyboard and SNES switch controller (with 8bitdo dongle) are working fine first time every time

(unless it was fixed in a recent update maybe?
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

jamesfk wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:16 pm Hi Ifury, ok I'll try doing the same and see if that settles things down - not too many buttons on it at least!

aberu - the official Mister one, in an official Mister case, thought I should go down that route for my first to minimise any issues.
Sorry for late reply.

I have the same version, but built by someone else originally.

I have found some ports have issues with certain devices. My ASUS 802.11ac wifi adapter works better in some than others. I think what you did, changing the ports, was the right move. My 8bitdo adapter works fine in the port just under the ethernet port on the de10-nano, for reference. I have rarely had it do what you said, but maybe 1/50 boots off the top of my head.
birdybro~
jamesfk

Unread post by jamesfk »

Hi aberu,

So far so good - it's been working perfectly ever since, and I'm so happy with it I have a 2nd arriving tomorrow for when one day we are allowed to have friends over again!

Now all I have to do is work out the mouse/sniper mappings and some custom ones for the Atari 800 to save me using the keyboard unnecessarily :)
Dafoof

Unread post by Dafoof »

Hi,

I've encountered the exact same issue with my M30 2.4Ghz, on the latest firmware. And it seems to be consistent (if fails 100% of the time so far). I've tried plugging it to different ports, turning fast polling on and off, or remapping the controller from the main menu, but no luck so far. Not sure if that could be a power issue, but the green light next to the USB plug is properly lit (on a 2.1 hub from misterfpga.co.uk), and the controller appears to be synced (solid blue light), so I doubt that would be it.

If I plug the 8bitdo USB dongle after the Mister has been turned on, it works like a charm. Also, if I have a keyboard plugged in when powering on (in addition to the controller), then the controller works fine too, even if I don't touch the keyboard at all... Weird.

EDIT: I've done all these tests with Bluetooth and Wifi dongles connected (which are both working fine). When I remove the wifi (so, either 8bitdo alone or with the bluetooth dongle), the controller inputs are working fine when powering on the Mister... :roll:
venalaine

Unread post by venalaine »

I have this same problem with 8BitDo NEC/TurboGrafX 2.4G controller. I'm pretty sure the problem occurred after I ran update script some time ago.

I have opened an issue for this on GitHub: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/issues/349
Maybe also you guys can add your findings under the issue, so that it would be fixed some day.