Favorite wireless SNES controller to use?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
MiSTerEggman

Favorite wireless SNES controller to use?

Unread post by MiSTerEggman »

assuming not using a BliSTer and OEM SNES pad - what's your go to?

I have a retrobit 2.4ghz saturn controller, 8bitdo m30 which is like a genesis 6-button wireless clone which I love and is second lowest wireless latency behind the heralded Krikzz Joyzz MD pad, and recently got a BT dongle to use with a spare DS4 which is surprisingly low latency for BT and has the same button orientation as SNES at least instead of re-mapping my mind to suit the genesis/saturn 6-button

None are terrible options fwiw just wondering if people have a good option they're proud of
aberu
Core Developer

Re: Favorite wireless SNES controller to use?

Unread post by aberu »

I use the 8bitdo SN30 Pro Plus quite frequently, but I don't play anything latency intensive that critically, mostly just JRPGs so I don't notice the inherent inconsistent latency and sorta high latency in general (according to Porkchop Express's latency spreadsheet). It also has the rare ghost input going left which I have heard you can fix with a tape mod. I also have an M30 and can confirm it's great, and I should probably just use that with SNES from now on, since the latency is better, it's lighter, etc... I like the SN30 Pro Plus for Playstation emulators quite a bit and will probably use it primarily for Laxer3a's PSX core whenever that comes out.
birdybro~
MiSTerEggman

MiSTerEggman wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:31 pm assuming not using a BliSTer and OEM SNES pad - what's your go to?

I have a retrobit 2.4ghz saturn controller, 8bitdo m30 which is like a genesis 6-button wireless clone which I love and is second lowest wireless latency behind the heralded Krikzz Joyzz MD pad, and recently got a BT dongle to use with a spare DS4 which is surprisingly low latency for BT and has the same button orientation as SNES at least instead of re-mapping my mind to suit the genesis/saturn 6-button

None are terrible options fwiw just wondering if people have a good option they're proud of
how's the dpad on it? never recall being a fan of the somewhat stiff and small snes dpad
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

The official Nintendo Switch SNES online controller is pretty great. Only problem is that MiSTer sometimes loses pairing when powered off. Not a huge deal, as all I have to do to reconnect is hold down the pair button on the MiSTer and controller when I power on, and then it's good to go.
MiSTerEggman

Sigismond0 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:39 pm The official Nintendo Switch SNES online controller is pretty great. Only problem is that MiSTer sometimes loses pairing when powered off. Not a huge deal, as all I have to do to reconnect is hold down the pair button on the MiSTer and controller when I power on, and then it's good to go.
what do you do if you just have de10 nano and no... io board? I assume thats where the pair button is?

Thats not a bad thought though, the ones wireless controller for switch
Sigismond0

Yeah, the pair button is on the IO board. Without that, you'd just need to enter the pairing menu from the main menu. But that now means you need to hassle with a second controller.

I've been hoping this would get a fix during some random Linux update, but it doesn't seem like that's the case.
MiSTerEggman

Sigismond0 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:46 pm Yeah, the pair button is on the IO board. Without that, you'd just need to enter the pairing menu from the main menu. But that now means you need to hassle with a second controller.

I've been hoping this would get a fix during some random Linux update, but it doesn't seem like that's the case.
I know f11 pulls up pairing but how do you get to it from a regular controller?

that wouldn't necessarily be a problem for me, since I have 3 dongles attached haha (one BT, one 8bitdo, one retrobit) just dunno where id access it

if I dont get along with DS4 well for it, maybe ill pick one up eventually!
rashohyo

Unread post by rashohyo »

MiSTerEggman wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:31 pm assuming not using a BliSTer and OEM SNES pad - what's your go to?

I have a retrobit 2.4ghz saturn controller, 8bitdo m30 which is like a genesis 6-button wireless clone which I love and is second lowest wireless latency
Are you talking about m30 2.4g or about m30 bluethoot?
MiSTerEggman

rashohyo wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:16 pm

I have a retrobit 2.4ghz saturn controller, 8bitdo m30 which is like a genesis 6-button wireless clone which I love and is second lowest wireless latency
Are you talking about m30 2.4g or about m30 bluethoot?
2.4ghz
Sigismond0

MiSTerEggman wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:02 pmI know f11 pulls up pairing but how do you get to it from a regular controller?
Menu->Scripts->BT Pair.
maxpower

Unread post by maxpower »

I use a snes classic controller with the 8bitdo diy bluetooth board. It still has the official feel and doesn't have the connection issues the switch ones do. I do miss having the extra 2 buttons the switch controller has so one can be used as a dedicated menu button though.
MiSTerEggman

maxpower wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:44 pm I use a snes classic controller with the 8bitdo diy bluetooth board. It still has the official feel and doesn't have the connection issues the switch ones do. I do miss having the extra 2 buttons the switch controller has so one can be used as a dedicated menu button though.
This is awesome ! Does it work with the standard BT4.0 adapters or does it need an 8bitdo one?

how does it charge too? That cord hole can’t be big enough for a microUSB port ? Looks like some weird antennae off of the top?
maxpower

It works with standard bluetooth adapters. It uses a 3.5mm barrel to usb a cable to charge, I don't think it is proprietary, I have seen other electronics with similar cables, but haven't tried using a cable other than what it came with. The nub where the charging cable attaches also glows to show you when the controller is on/charging/pairing.

They also have a different diy kit for original SNES controllers too but it is nice using the snes classic controllers since they are new.

I also have their diy kits for the nes classic and ps1 classic controllers, they all work great.
MiSTerEggman

maxpower wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:23 am It works with standard bluetooth adapters. It uses a 3.5mm barrel to usb a cable to charge, I don't think it is proprietary, I have seen other electronics with similar cables, but haven't tried using a cable other than what it came with. The nub where the charging cable attaches also glows to show you when the controller is on/charging/pairing.

They also have a different diy kit for original SNES controllers too but it is nice using the snes classic controllers since they are new.

I also have their diy kits for the nes classic and ps1 classic controllers, they all work great.
thanks thats good to know it comes with a 3.5mm to USB A.

looks like they only ship to a few countries and USA aint one.. odd.
Sigismond0 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:33 pm
MiSTerEggman wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:02 pmI know f11 pulls up pairing but how do you get to it from a regular controller?
Menu->Scripts->BT Pair.
Thanks
maxpower

Hmm.. that's strange, they were shipping to USA and Canada when I ordered my ps1 classic kits in August.
Unfortunately I think their website is the only place you can get the diy kits.
MiSTerEggman

maxpower wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:33 pm Hmm.. that's strange, they were shipping to USA and Canada when I ordered my ps1 classic kits in August.
Unfortunately I think their website is the only place you can get the diy kits.

Unless “shipping destination” means where it’s shipping from

And to clarify you use this with a snes mini controller right?

Not an original SNES system controller?

Maybe I just haven’t had lunch and my brain isn’t working but I don’t see where it says compatible with snes mini controllers seems to only reference the original ones
maxpower

I'm pretty sure there were other options in the "Shipping destination" box before, I don't think that is where it is shipping from.
Also, "delivery method" was "China e-packet" for my order, not "Post NL", but that doesn't seem to be an option anymore.

There are separate kits for snes classic and original snes controllers, I used snes classic controllers.

You can see all the different kits here:
https://shop.8bitdo.com/
MiSTerEggman

maxpower wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:00 pm I'm pretty sure there were other options in the "Shipping destination" box before, I don't think that is where it is shipping from.

There are separate kits for snes classic and original snes controllers, I used snes classic controllers.

You can see all the different kits here:
https://shop.8bitdo.com/
thanks

looks like its for sale on ebay for $33 + free shipping from China, but not 8bitdo themselves. Guess thats always an option

--
Sigismond0 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:39 pm The official Nintendo Switch SNES online controller is pretty great. Only problem is that MiSTer sometimes loses pairing when powered off. Not a huge deal, as all I have to do to reconnect is hold down the pair button on the MiSTer and controller when I power on, and then it's good to go.

edit: gonna go switch SNES option they're in stock and seems the path of least resistance and waiting haha. and USB-C light the SN30 Pro just without being 3rd party or having joysticks I won't use

Alternatively does it sometimes hold onto pairing with power off? Just sometimes have to re-pair?
Sigismond0

MiSTerEggman wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:01 pmgonna go switch SNES option they're in stock and seems the path of least resistance and waiting haha. and USB-C light the SN30 Pro just without being 3rd party or having joysticks I won't use

Alternatively does it sometimes hold onto pairing with power off? Just sometimes have to re-pair?
Yeah, it's just hit or miss. Sometimes it connects right away, sometimes it needs a re-pair.
maxpower

When I was using the Nintendo Switch SNES controllers, if it didn't connect, I would tap the pair button to turn the controller off and try again, usually after a few tries it would work, but occasionally I would get fed up and just fully re-pair it again.

One fix for the connection issues is to use the 8bitdo usb dongle with it, which should be available on amazon. If you haven't used one before, the difference compared to a normal bluetooth adapter is that the dongle handles all the bluetooth stuff and presents itself like a wired controller.
The downside is you can only connect 1 controller to the dongle at a time and if you pair a different controller to it, you will probably need to remap the buttons because it will always tell MiSTer that it is the same controller. You should be able to use a second one for a second controller though, but you might run into mapping issues again, but you could solve that by putting the dongle into a different mode(window/mac/switch/android/etc.).
MiSTerEggman

maxpower wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:48 pm When I was using the Nintendo Switch SNES controllers, if it didn't connect, I would tap the pair button to turn the controller off and try again, usually after a few tries it would work, but occasionally I would get fed up and just fully re-pair it again.

One fix for the connection issues is to use the 8bitdo usb dongle with it, which should be available on amazon. If you haven't used one before, the difference compared to a normal bluetooth adapter is that the dongle handles all the bluetooth stuff and presents itself like a wired controller.
The downside is you can only connect 1 controller to the dongle at a time and if you pair a different controller to it, you will probably need to remap the buttons because it will always tell MiSTer that it is the same controller. You should be able to use a second one for a second controller though, but you might run into mapping issues again, but you could solve that by putting the dongle into a different mode(window/mac/switch/android/etc.).
thanks for the tip!

worth picking up the 8bitdo usb bluetooth overall , pro's outweigh the cons for you vs. a standard bluetooth USB? Maybe I will get it down the road too

I got the Sabrent BT4.0 that works well with my DS4 so far
maxpower

It depends on what you want for if the 8bitdo bluetooth dongle is worth it.

The biggest benefit of the 8bitdo bluetooth usb for me is that the controller stays paired to it even if you unplug it, so I have my arcade stick paired to it and I can easy swap it between different consoles, mister and PC by just connecting the usb.

Other than the arcade stick, I prefer a normal bluetooth adapter on Mister because I like using the matching controller with each core if I can and I can have them all paired and just turn on the controller I want to use. If I used the 8bitdo one, I'd either need to re-pair and remap every time I want to use a different controller or get a dongle for every controller, which might still be difficult to get the mappings right.
Mister

Unread post by Mister »

I think nes30 has the lowest lag for wireless, for wired id go with Ibuffalo.

Mister controller letancy database

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =836207500
MiSTerEggman

Got my snes switch bluetooth controller

looks feels and works great ! love the little inside-shoulder top buttons for menu and menu-ok as well

thanks for the recommendations
antibolo

Unread post by antibolo »

I use the 8bitdo DIY modkit in a real, original Super Famicom controller. Works great with both my MiSTer, and the original console via the 8bitdo SNES bluetooth adapter.