MiSTer Doesn't Recognize SD Card I Want to Use

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
TheMrAwesomeness

MiSTer Doesn't Recognize SD Card I Want to Use

Unread post by TheMrAwesomeness »

Hi, I've had my Mister for a day or so and it's great. However, the Micro SD card I currently use is 16GB (SDHC) and I wanted more space, so I found a 64GB SDXC card I had and formatted it to exFAT. I transferred all the files to the SDXC card and inserted it in the Mister, but the Mister program didn't start. I tried my 16GB SDHC card and it still works. SDXC is supported by Mister, right? If it is an SDXC card formatted to exFAT, does anyone know why the Mister won't start up when my 64GB card is inserted?
chimaera

Re: MiSTer Doesn't Recognize SD Card I Want to Use

Unread post by chimaera »

Is the Sd card volume GPT or MBR?
lupin3rd

Unread post by lupin3rd »

Did you follow the directions here when setting up the new card? From your description, it sounds like you're trying to manually choose the file system type, etc., which will not work without lots of file system hackery as there are important areas of the SD card that are not copied in a file copy from one card to another. The instructions at that URL walk you through using an image-writing process that will destructively alter the file system on the card, and make it the correct one, bootable, etc, with the base files on it.

Also, have you used this card for other purposes before, or is it a new one?

Addition: Yes, SDXC is supported by MiSTer, as I'm using a 256GB SDXC. In rare cases, you may have a card that is just too finicky to work, but I suspect it's the process of just copying files from one card to another that isn't working. If memory serves, there are 2 different file systems on the card, a FAT-based one and I'm thinking an ext4 file system (or one of the earlier variants). Without the Linux-based file system, the MiSTer isn't going to do anything.
TheMrAwesomeness

Yeah, I’ve used it for other purposes before. It was FAT32, so I needed to change it to exFAT because there’s an 8GB file I want to put on there. I tried following the instructions, but after I extracted the folder from the .rar file onto the SD card, the program gave me some sort of incorrect package message, so I must have done something wrong. I’ll try it again and see what happens.
TheMrAwesomeness

Update: After multiple times trying to use the SD card program, and it giving me the "unable to install on disk 3" error, I read that the program is kinda finicky and it's generally more reliable to install via the Mister Fusion route. Did Mister Fusion and it worked! Now, my 64GB SDXC card is completely readable on the DE10-nano.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Yay!!!
Time to say goodby to all free time :twisted: