SSH and FTP stopped working

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
twocuddlefish

SSH and FTP stopped working

Unread post by twocuddlefish »

A couple days ago my old laptop (running linux) couldn't SSH or FTP to the MiSTer (I'm new to MiSTer but its been working fine the last couple weeks)

FTP; "ETHOSTUNREACH - No route to host."
SSH same thing; "No route to host."

Can't ping the MiSTer from the laptop and the MiSTer can't ping the laptop

Things I've tried;
FTP and SSH from different computers to MiSTer - OK
FTP and SSH from the laptop to other machines on the network - OK
Clean installation on a different card - FAIL (still can't connect from the laptop to MiSTer)
Firewall on the MiSTer on/off - FAIL
Changed networks - OK (both devices normally use the 'IoT/Guest network', but I moved them to the secured side, both wifi and hardline worked)

It seems like only the MiSTer and laptop have an issue connecting and only when on the 'IoT' network...ideas of things to try? Do have have a bad credential which needs to be deleted...? Thanks!
PopeyesChickenSandwich

Re: SSH and FTP stopped working

Unread post by PopeyesChickenSandwich »

So, no route to host seems to indicate that DNS resolution succeeded but that, well, there's no way to route packets to the receiver. Though if you're having network issues, it often makes sense to use an IP address instead of a hostname just to take DNS issues off the table. Often guest network configurations won't allow one device to communicate with another device as a security measure. Also this is typically over WiFi only. Anything connected via ethernet is usually in the secured network. Of course, home routers can always do things differently. I think what you have here is some network configuration issue. If one device on the secured network can ssh into the MiSTer on the IOT network but not your laptop, that sounds a little strange.

This was posted last weekend, so maybe you've had time to sanity check yourself and/or get it figured out. But it seems like you've just got a basic networking issue, and not something that needs to be changed on the MiSTer itself.
twocuddlefish

Unread post by twocuddlefish »

I'll mess around with it more this weekend because I really need ssh. But I can always move to the other network temporarily.

Any computer on the IoT network can ssh to each others except the MiSTer and old linux laptop (small 13" 'couch' laptop) and you can communicate between the two networks but I have that turned off because it slight defeats the purpose of having them be separated.

Had no issues previously and was blaming an update on the MiSTer (only change right before the problem started) but I'm not sure why it started *shrug*
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

This almost sounds like a subnet issue, are the MiSTer and the laptop in the same range or are you able to route to that subnet?
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Do you have one or more mister´s?
I remember reading that all DE-10 nano have the same MAC adress which can cause problems.
johhenrik

Unread post by johhenrik »

Not “can”, but “will” cause problems. You can’t have two devices on the same IP subnet with the same MAC without a lot of problems. In the error the OP is mentioning means he has an IP problem. His local Ip stack does not have a route to the device he’s trying to connect to. In this case, his subnet is definitely configured differently between his laptop and Mister, plus he does not have a default route configured.

It’s impossible to tell him what to do, without knowing more about his network. But if they are both supposed to be on the same broadcast domain, they should both be configured for that.
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

It's also possible that DHCP plays a role here. A few time, my router has given out a *different* IP to the MiSTer than it had, but the dynamic DNS entry for it still had the original IP, making it look like it lost connectivity (when all it really did was change addresses). Being able to look up devices on your router by MAC to get their address is hella handy in such situations.
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

Here is the thread about multiple misters on the same network: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=478

It has steps for updating hostname/MAC address. (Although it sounds like that may not be the issue in this case.)
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

twocuddlefish wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:16 pm I'll mess around with it more this weekend because I really need ssh. But I can always move to the other network temporarily.

Any computer on the IoT network can ssh to each others except the MiSTer and old linux laptop (small 13" 'couch' laptop) and you can communicate between the two networks but I have that turned off because it slight defeats the purpose of having them be separated.

Had no issues previously and was blaming an update on the MiSTer (only change right before the problem started) but I'm not sure why it started *shrug*
https://i.imgur.com/IbsE0HL.png

Basically this sounds like a DNS issue. Here's a few things to check.

1. If you have multiple MiSTer's you could have DNS entries that are for another device named "MISTER" which also has the same MAC Address, that would mean pinging from your PC is trying the one that might be turned off.

2. Since you have indicated you are segregating your MiSTer onto an "IoT" network... Is this a separate subnet? Do you have this setup via a second VLAN? If so, make sure you aren't incorrectly setting up a gateway on your PC or on the MiSTer in their IP configuration.

3. Reboot your router/dns server. if you are running DHCP at home, reboot that too and clear the entry for the MiSTer in it

Give us some info:

a. show us your arp table

b. show us the messag ehwn you attempt to ping

c. show us roughly what your two subnets/vlans are
birdybro~