Vertical Scanlines for integer scaled 256x224?

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Vespa

Vertical Scanlines for integer scaled 256x224?

Unread post by Vespa »

Hello friends,

I've just been using the Mega Drive core with the amazing composite blend + vertical scanlines and it looks great, similar to my Panasonic 10" CRT I have (it has vertical scanlines) but on the games that are 256x224, such as Sunset Riders and Super SF2 etc the vertical lines look incorrect. I've tried all the vscale modes and none are perfect, I'm assuming I need to get a specific 256 vertical scanline pack? Does anybody know of any?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
ash2fpga

Re: Vertical Scanlines for integer scaled 256x224?

Unread post by ash2fpga »

If I understand the current screen resolution logic correctly, I think integer scaling is only based on the vertical resolution, with horizontal resolution being calculated per the aspect ratio. I think you would probably need an option for the integer scaling to be based on the horizontal resolution, and the vertical resolution being calculated per the aspect ratio, instead.
justaguy

Unread post by justaguy »

ash2fpga wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:20 am If I understand the current screen resolution logic correctly, I think integer scaling is only based on the vertical resolution, with horizontal resolution being calculated per the aspect ratio. I think you would probably need an option for the integer scaling to be based on the horizontal resolution, and the vertical resolution being calculated per the aspect ratio, instead.

Once the Genesis core gets support for custom aspect ratios (see the recent changelog updates), it should be possible to manipulate the aspect ratio to get integer scaling on both axes, assuming integer scaling (vscale_mode=1) is enabled in MiSTer.ini. The magic aspect ratio probably won't be 4:3, though, so it depends on whether the OP is willing to make that compromise. For example, 10:7 is the closest you can get to 4:3 at 1080p and still have a reasonably screen-filling integer scale for 256x224 games.
ARCADEAGES

Unread post by ARCADEAGES »

Vespa wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:49 pm Hello friends,

I've just been using the Mega Drive core with the amazing composite blend + vertical scanlines and it looks great, similar to my Panasonic 10" CRT I have (it has vertical scanlines) but on the games that are 256x224, such as Sunset Riders and Super SF2 etc the vertical lines look incorrect. I've tried all the vscale modes and none are perfect, I'm assuming I need to get a specific 256 vertical scanline pack? Does anybody know of any?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
The electron beam in your TV scans vertically?
Vespa

Unread post by Vespa »

@ash2fpga - Thank you for the insight! Appreciate it
@justaguy - Awesome, I'll wait for that and see how it works out. I'm not too fussed about filling the screen. Thank you for the great info.
@ARCADEAGES - I'm not sure if it's scanning vertically but it has the appearance of vertical blanking lines, it might just be the way the slot mask is laid out?

img_20200611_162514gzk7h.jpg
img_20200611_162514gzk7h.jpg (7.32 MiB) Viewed 2879 times

I think it's usually smaller CRTs that have this look, there's a Sony PVM that has a similar look:

7gf1jh0d1ua31.jpg
7gf1jh0d1ua31.jpg (666.82 KiB) Viewed 2879 times