DE10 Nano Not Booting Green User Light Only

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
Ice Cream Jonsey

DE10 Nano Not Booting Green User Light Only

Unread post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Apologies if this is a topic that is elsewhere, I couldn't find it.

My MiSTer setup has been fine for months - turned it off last night, turned it on today and I am just getting the green user light, and not the reset or OSD lights. I reinstalled the software onto the SD card but I am seeing the same thing. Has anyone been able to troubleshoot and correct an error like this?
jca
Top Contributor

Re: DE10 Nano Not Booting Green User Light Only

Unread post by jca »

I recently had a problem very similar to yours:
Turned it off in the evening, turned it on the next day and only the power LED was on, no other LED on.
In the end I wiggled the DIP switches of the DE-10, making sure to reset them to their original position and MISTer came back to life
Ice Cream Jonsey

jca wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:41 pm I recently had a problem very similar to yours:
Turned it off in the evening, turned it on the next day and only the power LED was on, no other LED on.
In the end I wiggled the DIP switches of the DE-10, making sure to reset them to their original position and MISTer came back to life
Thank you for the advice. I tried that but I am still having the same issue.

To describe what I am seeing - when I insert the power plug, LED4 (the red LED) comes on for a split second and then the green LED for user comes on and stays on. Nothing happens if I don't have the SD card there, so I am thinking it's reading something. I don't see anything going to HDMI if I remove the MiSTer I/o board and try to boot with just the DE10-nano. Not sure if there's a troubleshooting guide somewhere from here.
Ice Cream Jonsey

To circle around on this - I bought a new DE10-nano and it started right up with everything else being the same. We have a domestic longhair cat who started sleeping near my MiSTer and I never bothered to put a case on mine, so I imagine the inherent fuzziness and static of the system screwed up my original board. Lesson learned, haha.
hiddenbyleaves

Unread post by hiddenbyleaves »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:55 pm To circle around on this - I bought a new DE10-nano and it started right up with everything else being the same. We have a domestic longhair cat who started sleeping near my MiSTer and I never bothered to put a case on mine, so I imagine the inherent fuzziness and static of the system screwed up my original board. Lesson learned, haha.
Looks like I better get a case.....and get rid of my cat......and get a spare DE10-nano.
ZigZag

Unread post by ZigZag »

The boards are clearly sensitive to static, my first board had it's HDMI port zapped just by plugging into a monitor. I keep it as a spare since VGA out still works using add-on board. It's something to be aware of when plugging peripherals in (keep it turned off) & assembling/modifying.

Hope you get it fixed. Maybe disassemble & reassemble, restart from scratch with a new microSD. If it still doesn't work you could try getting a replacement from seller or manufacturer. I just bought a new DE-10 as it was my stupidity plugging monitor cable in while turned on.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I plan to get an HDMI repeater in order to protect the DE-10 nano, I think it is worth the expense.
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Re ... B07PWYN3L4
ZigZag

Unread post by ZigZag »

jca wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:14 pm I plan to get an HDMI repeater in order to protect the DE-10 nano, I think it is worth the expense.
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Re ... B07PWYN3L4
As long as you have it turned off when plugging cables in there should be no problems.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

ZigZag wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:27 am As long as you have it turned off when plugging cables in there should be no problems.
I always do. As a matter of fact I do not plug/unplug anything, including the SD card. Only in extremely rare cases do I remove the SD card. The HDMI port seems to be very sensitive (I guess it is directly connected to the FPGA pins). Some users also noted that the signal coming from the repeater are of "better quality" which helps if the monitor has trouble syncing.
A repeater is not necessary at all but I'd rather protect the HDMI port than being sorry.