Can't get to MiSTer using Samba

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
exoticatom

Can't get to MiSTer using Samba

Unread post by exoticatom »

hi everyone,

If I use windows explorer to access \\[misterIP] it's just timing out.
SSH and FTP are working fine.

I have disabled firewall using script "disable firewall" - just to be sure.
Also executed "samba_on" -> no errors.
I couldnt find any errors in /var/log/messages and /var/log/samba folder doesn't exist...

Could anyone please give me directions how to find out what's the problem ?

thank you,
BigRedPimp

Re: Can't get to MiSTer using Samba

Unread post by BigRedPimp »

From the GitHub Wiki...
By default Samba service is not active. You need to rename /media/fat/linux/_samba.sh to linux/samba.sh, then edit this file if you need specific user name and password (default is user root with pass 1) and then reboot the MiSTer.
exoticatom

Unread post by exoticatom »

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki/Samba

I thought i did everything, but I missed the step to rename _samba.sh to samba.sh ... yeah me noob. :-D
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I use \\mister which is also handy when the IP of MiSTer has changed.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

I can't get Samba going. I'm on Win 10, ssh is working ok over wifi dongle.

I have renamed the "_samba.sh" file. Then go to Explorer in Windows, choose Network and type "\\mister" (also tried "\\myIP"), after a few seconds get the "Windows cannot access \\mister" error. Am I missing something obvious here?
kfreiberg

Unread post by kfreiberg »

akeley wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:28 am I can't get Samba going. I'm on Win 10, ssh is working ok over wifi dongle.

I have renamed the "_samba.sh" file. Then go to Explorer in Windows, choose Network and type "\\mister" (also tried "\\myIP"), after a few seconds get the "Windows cannot access \\mister" error. Am I missing something obvious here?
Just a shot in the dark, but I had to disable my VPN before I could access the MiSTer. Very basic advice, but I didn't think of doing that before trying more advanced troubleshooting.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Now after the linux update for the mister i started over with everything since some had trouble updating and i had tried to get samba working 2 times before (so 3 times now!).
I install/update mister, then run update_all to install jotego/mame roms/etc.
I turn on ssh/ftp/cifs (and edit the cifs_mount.sh) then make a symlink to my AO486 folder that is on my NAS and everything works fine.

Start to read around but not much more then this tread and whats linked in this tread about getting samba to work, to reach the mister from a windows pc that is.
So i rename /media/fat/linux/_samba.sh to linux/samba.sh, do not change the root/1 name/pass.
Restart the mister run the samba script runs fine with no errors (never seen any error running that ever, are there any?) try but no go.
Restart mister nope, edit name/pass (to the same as the pc user account and samba share on the nas has) restart/run samba on script/restart try but no.

The only thing i have ever seen when trying to get to the mister using samba is when running with "connect using different credentials" is to fill in name/pass.
And as soon as i hit ok i have to fill in pass again hit ok again and windows cannot access \\192.168.*.***. and that happens as soon as i hit ok no time wasted at all.
YES it is the right ip number same thing happens if i try \\mister, and the same thing (promt for pass two times then no access) happens if i try a ip adress that is NOT in my LAN.

Have i disabled my VPN?
NO!
Because i have never had or used one!

I just tried my win8,1 htpc and another computer running libreelec(kodi) but connection times out.
To me it looks like samba never turns on on my mister, is there anyway to check that in terminal?

I do have samba/smb running to and from computers running kodi/win8,1/3 win10/2 linux mint, then a couple of android phones/pads/two popcorn media players (c-200/vten).
So i have a hard time seeing my network/router/switches is to blame?