Need help compiling chdman for MiSTer

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
SwedishGojira

Need help compiling chdman for MiSTer

Unread post by SwedishGojira »

I need somebody to help me compile a working binary of chdman from the MAME tools (preferrebly static) that can be run easily on MiSTer via script.
I have a working script already running, but I can not get chdman to work on MiSTer without a ton of dependencies.
aberu
Core Developer

Re: Need help compiling chdman for MiSTer

Unread post by aberu »

Interesting idea. I think it would be pretty difficult, as you have discovered, due to the unique buildroot Sorgelig uses which is very minimal. An easier route might be to just take out the microSD, plug it into your computer, and run the chdman script from your computer on that folder on the microSD. That's what I did. Also you could mount and share the folder to your network and do it over the network.
birdybro~
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

out of pure interest, won't that kind of operation on a sd card be killing it's lifetime?
then an option would be using the externall hdd or running the script locally on a pc before moving the files back to the sd card?
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

MostroW wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:43 pm out of pure interest, won't that kind of operation on a sd card be killing it's lifetime?
then an option would be using the externall hdd or running the script locally on a pc before moving the files back to the sd card?
I dunno about "killing" it. It would roughly be equivalent to transferring files that take up that same amount of space and then reading the same files. Killing a MicroSD would require a lot of reads and writes to the same sector over and over, which I don't believe CHDMan is doing, it's similar to just zipping a file. If you are worried about that, just transfer them to storage on your PC to do the conversion.
birdybro~
SwedishGojira

Unread post by SwedishGojira »

I was trying to make this script for those people who just want to put their redump-ISO on their machine and then convert it easily to CHD. I do my conversion directly on my server, but not everyone knows how.

This script will search trough your storage options on the mister (USB and Micro SD) and let you choose a folder containing ISO files, or even a separate ISO file, and convert it easily. Sadly I could not get chdman running directly on the MiSTer as I'm not that great at compiling code even though I do know how to make scripts that work. Just trying to contribute and help people with a useful script, but now it is stuck as it is...
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Don't give up. It's a good learning opportunity! :)
birdybro~