New install, stuck on 'No Cores'

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
adelea

New install, stuck on 'No Cores'

Unread post by adelea »

Hi,

I just received my DE10-Nano today, and assembled it with the 128MB RAM, USB board and an IO board.

I flashed the SD with the mr-fusion-v2.2.img, and powered it up.

It displayed a screen saying "Mr. Fuision is installing MiSTer. Please stand by...", then after a short while it switched to the Cores display.

It has been showing 'No files!' now for a while. The title bar has a what I presume is a network icon (3 dots in a triangle), and a processor icon.

It is connected via ethernet, and the NIC port has a solid orange LED on the right, and nothing to show activity.

When it first powers on, there is activity on the left hand green LED.

It does get an IP from DHCP and it can be pinged.

The IO board is flashing red and green LEDs alternately. There are 2 green LEDs next to the NIC socket, they are also flashing alternately.

If I put the SD card in my PC, I can see it has been partitioned.

After I turned off the power to check the SD card, when I started it up again, it didn't display any output.

I reflashed the SD card, and restarted - with the same thing, stuck at 'No cores'.

Is this normal? From what I had seen on youtube videos I would be presented with an option to upgrade all etc.
adelea

Re: New install, stuck on 'No Cores'

Unread post by adelea »

Maybe there is some documentioan I should read.. I pressed Esc on the keyboard and it switched to a menu with update on it.
adelea

Unread post by adelea »

The update ran, downloaded and installed a bunch of things, at the end it said something about Failed to update: None, and rebooted.

It didnt restart.

I tried again the process using the 8GB SD that the DE10 was delivered with, this time it ran to the end and restarted just fine.

So I tried yet again on a different 128GB SD that I had, and again it all worked just fine.

Makes me wonder if the original 128GB SD I had used is faulty.. That said, it shows up in windows as 131GB - is there a size limit on SD cards?
dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

There are some unscrupulous vendors who manufacture faulty cards, and these sometimes make it into the supply chain.
In general, these cards will be smaller-sized cards which have been reprogrammed to identify themselves as larger cards - but the additional storage simply doesn't exist.

1) There is a testing program somewhere (sorry, I don't have a link) to verify actual size of a card by writing to it and verifying it.

2) Best approach is to only buy name brand product from a clean supply chain (usually a larger company, who stands to lose face for something like this). If you buy from Amazon, make sure that it's "Sold by Amazon", not just "Fulfilled by Amazon".
adelea

Unread post by adelea »

I found this program H2testw, and it is doing a full scan of the SD card - it is still running, but has so far verified 20,380MB of 127,905MB with the following

Warning: Only 127905 of 127998 MByte tested.
The media is likely to be defective.
14.3 GByte OK (30079663 sectors)
6.1 GByte DATA LOST (12825937 sectors)
Details:0 KByte overwritten (0 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
6.1 GByte corrupted (12825937 sectors)
0 KByte aliased memory (0 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x0000000395055e00
Expected: 0x0000000395055e00
Found: 0xb0f4c113694e0ff4
H2testw version 1.3

So yeah, looks like a bad SD card. It was a fulfilled by amazon product, where my other cards were sold by amazon - so I will check that in the future!
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

I looked for H2testw source code, but did not find it. I did find another tool on github: https://github.com/dkrahmer/MediaTester

I have been manually verifying cards (fill with known data, verify file hashes), but this could save some time.