Help Req: All HDDs lock up MiSTer (maybe?)

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
teknomedic

Help Req: All HDDs lock up MiSTer (maybe?)

Unread post by teknomedic »

-edit / update-

Seems I was just on the edge of not enough power.
After posting this I tried one more thing.... I found a split USB cable (one that provides extra power by using two USB ports). Using my two PSU setup I plugged the data plug into the USB board and the power plug into the I/O board and success... menu keeps esponding and the USB option became available.

I can't explain why the wall powered 3.5" external drive caused the same issue though as that shouldn't be asking for any power off the USB board... right?

I'll be ordering a far better PSU and hopefully that will fix needing the secondary USB port. Leaving my original post below so others may be helped.

original post...
I'm not sure what to think here.

Anytime I plug in a USB hard drive to any of the ports the system seems to "lock up". More precisely, I can't input anything via keyboard or controller. Tried 2.4ghz keyboard, 2.4ghz controller and tried wired USB keyboard.

I'm not entirely sure the system is actually locked up though as the static background keeps playing.

I've tried a total of 5 hard drives... 4 portable 2.5" drives and one powered 3.5" drive. I tried with the original PSU (5v/2a) split to both the I/O and USB boards, then I tried with 2x (5v/2a) PSUs (one going to I/O and other going to USB board.

--If the system is off with HDD attached, when powered on the menu appears, but I can't select anything.

--If the system is running and I plug the HDD in the menu locks up wherever I'm at.

Thoughts, ideas?
aberu
Core Developer

Re: Help Req: All HDDs lock up MiSTer (maybe?)

Unread post by aberu »

This is the PSU I recommend to people usually, btw.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... 1J/7703645
birdybro~