New MiSTer Owner Help Setting Up

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
Yim

Re: New MiSTer Owner Help Setting Up

Unread post by Yim »

aberu wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:12 pmIn my experience this depends on a lot of different factors. If you are using the stock power supply from the DE10-Nano and a usb hub addon board you will often run into an issue where you are undervolting something among these. That can cause issues.
Is this a common problem? I recently switched from a cheap unpowered external hub to the daughter board (with the same stuff plugged into it as I had on the other hub), and I’ve noticed since that my fan’s speed audibly drops when the MiSTer is working hard, which I’m pretty sure didn’t happen before. I’m using the stock supply.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Yim wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:06 pm
aberu wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:12 pmIn my experience this depends on a lot of different factors. If you are using the stock power supply from the DE10-Nano and a usb hub addon board you will often run into an issue where you are undervolting something among these. That can cause issues.
Is this a common problem? I recently switched from a cheap unpowered external hub to the daughter board (with the same stuff plugged into it as I had on the other hub), and I’ve noticed since that my fan’s speed audibly drops when the MiSTer is working hard, which I’m pretty sure didn’t happen before. I’m using the stock supply.
It depends.

Is this a 12v fan that is being undervolted to 5v? Then it could potentially be having issues regardless as undervolting electric motors comes with a good amount of problems. I've seen people use 12v's on the MiSTer frequently and they probably shouldn't be doing that.

That being said, the current draw of a 5v fan is usually under 0.3amps. The Terasic DE10-Nano's power supply I think is a 2 amp power supply. So if you had a 802.11ac wifi dongle, and a keyboard with LEDs, and a gamepad, and then the MiSTer pulls a lot of power from a particular core, something could be getting less current than it should, and it just might be the fan in your case, or some other device as well. Worst case scenario is the DE10-Nano gets less current than it should for long periods of time, and that can damage some of the electronic components (potentially).

Anyone using the usb hub addon board should get an upgraded power supply in my opinion.
birdybro~
Samelak

Unread post by Samelak »

I am slowly working through setting it all up. I have the games working on the Cores that I want to play and the WIFI is working. My last objective is to get the wireless keyboard to pair. The Mister is recognizing the keyboard, but it fails to pair because the keyboard is not giving a response. I followed the set-up guide and it said to enter on the keyboard “0000 and then enter”. Not sure if I need to actually input the zeros or if there is a 4-digit number associated with my keyboard. The keyboard is a Fosmon and the instructions only show pairing by selecting on the computer.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

That might not use a regular keyboard protocol given it's designed to connnect via bluetooth to android and apple devices. The failure to respond indicates to me that it might use a weird protocol. If there are different modes the keyboard can be ran in, in the manual, try those. Maybe it has a different mode for Android, PC, and Apple. Try all three.

If the MiSTer doesn't prompt you to enter a code, then it's possible that it might not be compatible at the moment.

Finally, do you have a standalone bluetooth dongle? If you are hoping to use a combo wifi+bluetooth dongle, it won't work.

Connect another keyboard and go to the command line/shell and type "hcitool dev" to see if the bluetooth dongle is recognized. If it's not then its the dongle. Also disable all other bluetooth devices when setting this up first.
birdybro~
pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

I just got a vga-video component cable. To make it work on mister io board do I have to set something on mister ini to detect it when using this cable?

So far I have been only using hdmi