question about picking up a pre-configured bundle at misteraddons

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
Spartan

question about picking up a pre-configured bundle at misteraddons

Unread post by Spartan »

Hello all. New to the MiSTer. I plan on purchasing a per-configured bundle from misteraddons this week.
Before I do, I was looking to get some feedback on a few points.
  • I plan on playing this primarily on a modern TV. I don't really see myself using a CRT. In that sense should I stick w/ the Digital IO? What could one do by having an extra GIPO available?
  • After setting up the SD card and configuring things for the first time, my understanding is that it's relatively straightforward to connect a USB HDD and play games saved on a HDD as a opposed to a smaller SD card. Is that accurate?
  • Once cases are available from misteraddons, my understanding is that it's relatively straightforward to move the pre-configured mister to the case. Are there any other reputable/recommended sites that are selling cases that I could buy as a stop-gap measure until cases are back in stock at misteraddons?
thanks
aberu
Core Developer

Re: question about picking up a pre-configured bundle at misteraddons

Unread post by aberu »

1. Yeah, personally, just get the Digital I/O. Here's a great comparison --> viewtopic.php?p=7186#p7186 -- As you can see, the VGA out, SoG Switch are just for CRT's (and you can use a Direct Video HDMI to VGA adapter to do CRT's regardless if you ever change your mind), so the only thing is the 3.5mm headphone jack out, which personally... is a bit noisy from EMI on the board, and it's a combo Mini-Toslink regardless so I just used TOSLINK when I used to have my Analog board, and would use a DAC to convert to analog audio externally when I used it with a CRT.

2. USB HDD is... sometimes confusing for people. I have tried it a long time ago, one time I got it going, and the instructions that were available at the time were not totally clear on some of the specific things you have to do. Now I understand it's a bit easier and the guides are better. I'm pretty sure SmokeMonster's guide is still relevant --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqRKaBt_Oq8

3. There are plenty of places to buy cases, yes!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/789104565/ ... decal-pack - (My personal favorite to recommend if you are waiting on a nicer case, since it's cheap and easy).

There are plenty of other places too. The main thing to keep in mind with the MiSTer is always statically discharge yourself before touching it. This also includes when you DO get a case btw. The metal case from MiSTerAddons can absolutely get static shocked and pass that static into the device. Same with Acrylic and other materials. I usually just touch something metal for quite some time before I touch the MiSTer. I have to do this a lot since Colorado is super dry. When touching PCB's, pick up by the sides, not underneath.
birdybro~
Spartan

Re: question about picking up a pre-configured bundle at misteraddons

Unread post by Spartan »

Thank you for your feedback, super helpful. I appreciate it!