bootcore=bootcore (or lastcore) -> Galaga

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
Sharpfork

bootcore=bootcore (or lastcore) -> Galaga

Unread post by Sharpfork »

Howdy-

I love MiSTer and bought a second one to dedicate to my Galaga cab. I really want the default to boot to Galaga so my kids can turn it on and play without navigating the MiSTer menus.

I’m trying to get bootcore= With galaga as corename and have tried a bunch of combinations with no luck. As a part of troubleshooting, I tried to simplify and get the

Code: Select all

bootcore=lastcore 
to work with

Code: Select all

recents=1
temporarily set to write to lastcore.dat.

I see that CONFIG/lastcore.dat is being updated with the last launched core but None of the arcade cores work (I don’t have any non arcade cores). I did figure out that memtest does launch on boot if run it and restart the MiSTer.

Any advice on getting this to work? I don’t care if it is bootcore corename or lastcore with recents=0 set after galaga is in the lastcore.dat.

I’ve run the updates script multiple times in the last week so I’m on the latest version.

Thanks!
zakk4223

Re: bootcore=bootcore (or lastcore) -> Galaga

Unread post by zakk4223 »

The boot core setting is currently broken. See issue: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/issues/205
Sharpfork

Thanks for the info. I thought I was going crazy!
XJR9000

Unread post by XJR9000 »

zakk4223 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:07 pm The boot core setting is currently broken. See issue: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/issues/205
The "bootcore" setting works for consoles and computers currently. Is the issue you reported only effecting Arcade .mra cores?
zakk4223

Unread post by zakk4223 »

I can assure you on my install it does not work, and I can build a customer MiSTer main binary that demonstrates the exact path that causes it to break, and I can fix it.

I've updated the GitHub issue with more info and the one line change that fixes it. I'm not 100% sure if that change has any side effects.

If it is currently working for some people I'm going to assume there's some timing/race condition involved
Sharpfork

zakk4223 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:25 pm I've updated the GitHub issue with more info and the one line change that fixes it. I'm not 100% sure if that change has any side effects.
Thanks for contributing!
RetroD2K11

Unread post by RetroD2K11 »

Is it possible to boot to an mra? I'm still having issues.
XJR9000

Unread post by XJR9000 »

After the most recient update I am still having issues using bootcore with Arcade games
massatari

Unread post by massatari »

I'm having this same issue using 200821. Trying all kinds of fu to get my popeye to boot first
Edit: nevermind I'm working now. sorry