How to set the default/original_aspect_ratio?

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
retrodroid

How to set the default/original_aspect_ratio?

Unread post by retrodroid »

I've just about got all of my vertical arcade cores configured so they display optimally on my horizontally orientated VGA monitor at mode 6 (640x480x60) with scaler enabled.

One problem I am having is getting the original_aspect_ratio setting in the core's ini section to be used.

For example, using the following settings for Super Cobra results in the "original aspect ratio" being equiv. to 3:4, instead of the defined 7:8 value. I have also removed the scrobra_config files.

Code: Select all

[scobra]
;256x224
original_aspect_ratio=7:8
vfilter_default=Vert_Normal_Scanlines_010.txt
vsync_adjust=1
vga_scaler=1
Any suggestions?
zakk4223

Re: How to set the default/original_aspect_ratio?

Unread post by zakk4223 »

That's not a valid ini file setting.

You may have seen it commented out in some modelines that were being distributed, it's only there for documentation purposes.
retrodroid

zakk4223 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:08 pm That's not a valid ini file setting.

You may have seen it commented out in some modelines that were being distributed, it's only there for documentation purposes.
Indeed I did. Nothing confusing about that... :?

So, is there a way to specify the aspect ratio that should be used, per core?
Yim

Unread post by Yim »

I think you're looking for the custom_aspect_ratio_1 and custom_aspect_ratio_2 settings. They're in the default mister.ini file, but commented out. You can put them under individual core headings in the file to choose two extra settings for each core, and then they'll show up in the on screen display menu for the core under "Aspect ratio" - you'll have options "Original", "Full Screen", and then whatever values you've set as the two custom ratios.
retrodroid

Ah okay. I have those set up and they do work in the "in core" menu, but I was looking for a way to pre-set the default in the ini for each core so selecting it from the menu wouldn't be necessary.

Not a big deal to select the aspect ratio in the menu once when configuring each core, I just lead myself "down the garden path" when I saw the ";original_aspect_ratio=" setting, thinking I could predefine it in the .ini section for each core. ;)