Reset MiSTer using a USB controller button combination?

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
ppq

Reset MiSTer using a USB controller button combination?

Unread post by ppq »

Hello,

I sometimes run into issues with my HDMI TV, it often requires additional configuration in the specific core's menu to display video signal correctly.
In such cases I have to reset my MiSTer if the TV stops to display anything. Is it possible to configure a button combination that allows me to do this blind, in case video output is not working? For example, Start + Left Shoulder button? I do not have the IO board, unfortunately, so I cannot use the reset button on there. I use the Buffalo Classic SNES USB controller.

Thank you
WiteWulf

Re: Reset MiSTer using a USB controller button combination?

Unread post by WiteWulf »

There's resetting the core and resetting the MiSTer, which are different things.

It's always worth searching the forums (or Discord) before you ask ;)

viewtopic.php?p=10294#p10294
WiteWulf

It's also possible to wire you own reset button without having an IO board. Pretty much everything but the VGA output of the analogue IO board can be access directly via the GPIO pins on the DE10-nano mainboard:

viewtopic.php?p=12690#p12690
ppq

Unread post by ppq »

WiteWulf wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:54 pm There's resetting the core and resetting the MiSTer, which are different things.

It's always worth searching the forums (or Discord) before you ask ;)

viewtopic.php?p=10294#p10294
Thank you for your reply, WiteWulf. I had already found this post before asking. However, the reset shortcut listed there does not apply to the controller, only to the keyboard:

Code: Select all

LShift+LCtrl+LAlt+RAlt - MiSTer full reset (goes back to menu core), same as IO board button
Does anyone know if this is possible using a USB controller?
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Entering keyboard keys on a gamepad is not supported, so entering that combination on a gamepad alone isn't possible.
birdybro~
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

aberu wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:16 pm Entering keyboard keys on a gamepad is not supported, so entering that combination on a gamepad alone isn't possible.
I think it is possible, there is a video out there where he maps the space to some button or combo. I will try to find it back.
I found the video, but the mapping is on a per core basis. Nether the less this is an interesting video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tGPDTcuDSE
The button mapping is around 8:15.
ppq

Unread post by ppq »

Thank you jca, I have tried this method. The target seems to be single button/key only, combinations are only supported in the other direction if I understand this video correctly.
Looks like blind reset from a controller currently is not possible.
redsteakraw

Unread post by redsteakraw »

I just use the button on the IO Board.
Fear is the mind killer!
WiteWulf

ppq wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:02 pm Thank you for your reply, WiteWulf. I had already found this post before asking. However, the reset shortcut listed there does not apply to the controller, only to the keyboard:

Code: Select all

LShift+LCtrl+LAlt+RAlt - MiSTer full reset (goes back to menu core), same as IO board button
Does anyone know if this is possible using a USB controller?
Sorry, I misinterpreted your requirement for "USB controller". I thought you meant any device connected to USB including keyboards, not specifically a USB game controller. My bad.