Multiple SD card problems

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
Phoenix

Multiple SD card problems

Unread post by Phoenix »

First, hello all!

I would loved to say that everything is fine and that I'm very happy with my MiSTer, but... I'm almost unable to use it for several reasons I will try to explain as clear as possible. Also I'll do my best but I may do (write?) some mistakes, English is not my mother tongue, I hope you will understand :)

Also, don't think I did not search about my problem, it's been two days now I'm searching everywhere but nobody seems to have the same issues than me (yeah I found 1-2 "look-a-like" cases but with no solutions).

So I purchased the "Ultimate MiSTer PRO" from ultimatemister dot com, with a pre-install 8go SD card I will detail later.

I tried to setup a 200go card, then a 64go card, then a 16go card using two methods: the Mr Fusion Installation Method and later the PC SD Card Utility... I also try the setup using 3 different SD card reader (USB) and I even try to setup using a Linux through a VM (I'm on a Windows 10)... But no, the MiSTer never boot on those cards, just never. And yes I've always verified I'm on the right main SD port, but no boot, no light of leds are on, just like when there is no SD card on it in fact.

Here I'm making a small lie, the 200go card worked the very first time: I tried the update_all script and had a lot of errors because I missed to add a configuration file for the PARALLEL_UPDATE="false" parameter... And I really fear that my fault is here: I was not able to stop the script using CTRL+C so I unplug the MiSTer while it was trying to download a ton of arcade cores... I don't think it could be the cause but who am I to know? So after that, no more SD card working, I passed 2 nights searching a solution on the net and trying all I've mentioned with different SD card, different readers, different methods, etc.

BUT there is the pre-install 8go SD card which is recognized, the only one SD card which is still booting and showing me a menu. And here is the strangest thing: it seems the MiSTer is unable to write anything on it... Let me explain...

When booting I'm able to try the chess game, ok, and I'm able to open the scripts menu which show me the available ones, nothing strange. BUT if I go to Scripts and choose "yes and don't ask me again" => no more scripts and no more core, it shows me "no files! missing directory Scripts". If I reboot, go to the script without choosing "don't ask again", and then I start the Wifi script for example: it will end with an error and once again no more scripts and no more core. It looks like everytime I try to save anything, I loose access to all content.

And this looks like what I can see on the logs of the PC SD Card Utility, it seems this tool don't have full access to the card (whatever the one I try)...

Full install output:
ErrorCode: 0x80004005, Message: 'Paramètre incorrect'
Unable to lock volume \\?\Volume{938033ee-b276-11eb-b9fa-309c234144fa}
ErrorCode: 0x80004005, Message: 'L’opération a réussi'
ErrorCode: 0x80004005, Message: 'Segment déjà déverrouillé'
ErrorCode: 0x80004005, Message: 'Paramètre incorrect'
Starting to copy files\linux\uboot.img image to partition with offset 30698167
File size: 518167
Aligned size: 518656
1 iterations will be done with buffer size 1048576

1 / 1 (buffered ops) - 518167 / 518656
OK

Format finished successfully
Unable to copy file mt32-rom-data\README
Unable to copy file soundfonts\README
La référence d'objet n'est pas définie à une instance d'un objet.
CheckPartialUpdateCompatible()...
Reading MBR from disk \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE6
Read successful 512 bytes
Card has new MiSTer layout. Partial update can be applied
done
done
Update boot + files output:
Starting to clean disk reserved areas...
Unable to lock volume \\?\Volume{93802d28-b276-11eb-b9fa-309c234144fa}
Unable to lock volume \\?\Volume{938033ee-b276-11eb-b9fa-309c234144fa}
Done
Starting to copy files\linux\uboot.img image to partition with offset 30698167
File size: 518167
Aligned size: 518656
1 iterations will be done with buffer size 1048576

1 / 1 (buffered ops) - 518167 / 518656
OK

Impossible de trouver une partie du chemin d'accès 'I:\'.
ErrorCode: 0x80004005, Message: 'Accès refusé'
done
driveWatcherEvent()
done
driveWatcherEvent()
done
done
"ErrorCode: 0x80004005, Message: 'Accès refusé'" means "Forbidden access".

But once again I've also tried the Linux script to setup the card and the result is the same: no boot.

Also, I was thinking it's normal but I read some people on the net who're saying it's not: my SD card always have 2 partitions (= "disk part" in english?) at the end, the "MiSTer_Data" and a hidden one of 1Mo (yes, "one" mo).

So what do you think about my problems? Could it be a default with the SD reader of my MiSTer? Is it my fault? Have I to find 90% alcohol to clean those cards? Is it something you've experimented? I really hope I don't have to send it back... :(

Thanks for all people who has read my all post, even if you don't have anything to reply ;)
I'm looking forward to read you!
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Re: Multiple SD card problems

Unread post by bazza_12 »

Are the SDCards faulty? can you use them in your PC and format them?
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
Phoenix

Unread post by Phoenix »

Hello, yes I can use them in my PC and format, in fact the 200go one has been used on my Nintendo Switch for two years without any kind of issue :)
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Some sd cards do have a write protect switch on them.
Could it be that the switch (if one do exist) is switched to protect?
https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Write-Pr ... an-SD-Card
Phoenix

Unread post by Phoenix »

Thanks but no switch, and I've just tested to clean those using pure alcohol but same results... I've never had that kind of issue I really don't understand... Is it possible that something is not correctly connected in therm of hardware? Any specific connector to check?
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

What about the DE-10 Nano´s dip switches?
Are they setup correctly?
https://misterfpga.co.uk/mister-de10-na ... iguration/

i think i did see someone having sd card problem and they where not set correctly.

Even if they are correct maybe flip them forward and back a couple off times if there are some crud/crap in them that could help knock that out.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Try to reformat the card from within Windows before imaging the card. Use a SD card formatter tool and don't use any kind of Quickformat.
Phoenix

Unread post by Phoenix »

Thanks grizzly but no luck, they were setup correctly and I tried to flip them several time as you mentioned in case of dust but it didn't help :(

Thanks Chris23235 I've just tried but still the same result, I'm still trying it with others cards to see...

I saw that the RTC module didn't had any battery in it, so I tried to boot without it and also with an actual battery but no luck neither... And still the same issue with the original SD card which seems to lost all access when trying to save any kind of configuration.

I'm losing hope :|
Phoenix

Unread post by Phoenix »

Ok... I don't know why but now even the original SD card doesn't boot up... And no I didn't put it into my computer in the meanwhile...

I don't know if it's important but I remark that the blue led for the power is the one next to the 3.3v, not the 5v :|
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Other then making sure the sdcard is really in the slot i have nothing more.

And by making sure it´s in the slot i mean REALLY make sure.
Because a while ago i fumbled around with a raspberry pi in a case and suddenly it stopped working and was at a complete loss for hours.
And the second time i was going to plug the sdcard in a computer it dawned on me!
I had put the damn thing between the sd socket and the case where it fit very well and with the right amount of drag.
Plugged it in where it should go and hey my pi was working again :oops:
bazza_12
Top Contributor

just out of interest what brand of sdcard are you using? i use sandisk ultra..

other than that I think i would take it all apart and reassemble.. and do the same with the SDCard, clean format, do a manual install.. make sure it's formatted correctly use the installation guide.. step by step.. then try it on just the de10, without the i/o board, memory, rtc or usb hub.. if it works add each board back one at a time.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

I think it is a samsung evo plus 500gb i have.
If it is not it´s a sandisk ultra.
Phoenix

Unread post by Phoenix »

Thanks to all, first I will answer :)

So grizzly yes I'm REALLY sure :D And don't be ashamed, things happened!

And thanks bazza_12 yes that's exactly what I did, just using the de10 itself without any additional component: the result is the same, no boot on my cards and no more boot on the delivered pre-install card.

The delivered 8go card is a "Team", sounds like a generic brand...
The ones of mine that I tried:
- Toshiba 30MB/s 16GB
- SanDisk Extreme 64GB XC I A1
- SanDisk Ultra 200GB XC I

I may perform some additional tests tomorrow, maybe with a brand new card depending on the prices (mines were old), but I'm convinced the issue comes to the SD card reader of the de10 itself. I've contacted the team of ultimatemister and we will see!

Once again I really want to thank you all for the advices and the time you've accorded to me, I really appreciate! :)
I will keep you informed as soon as I have some news to share.
bazza_12
Top Contributor

it's very strange especially because those cards work in the PC.. that really does lead me to believe either they've not been inserted properly (which i'm sure they have) or there is an issue with the de10.. pity you haven't got another de10 to try it on..
Phoenix

Unread post by Phoenix »

I've tried to clean this SD card reader on the nano board with a tiny brush and... The SD card booted, so then I unplug and plugin just to see, without touching anything else than the plug... And then it didn't boot again and never since.

Still no response from ultimate mister, but I found a de10 nano at an acceptable price to I bough it and we will be fixed soon, but I have no doubts that's a defect of the card reader itself!

Wait & see ;)
Blitzwing

Unread post by Blitzwing »

Phoenix wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:46 am I've tried to clean this SD card reader on the nano board with a tiny brush and... The SD card booted, so then I unplug and plugin just to see, without touching anything else than the plug... And then it didn't boot again and never since.

Still no response from ultimate mister, but I found a de10 nano at an acceptable price to I bough it and we will be fixed soon, but I have no doubts that's a defect of the card reader itself!

Wait & see ;)
Whilst this doesn’t help your situation, be very mindful that the de10 nano’s SD card slot is very fragile and is easily damaged and I guess right now you’re plugging in and out the SD quite a few times trying to figure out why it isn’t working.
Phoenix

Unread post by Phoenix »

I've received the new de10 nano and everything is working fine with it, the already prepared 200go card is booting, no issues when saving any kind of parameters... I mount every extension and still no issues... So yes, the first one I received has a problem with its SD card slot!

Once again thanks to all, but what you're saying Blitzwing scares me a bit... I though that at this price those components would be more "solid" and reliable :shock:

Now my fear is to damage anything :lol: So I'm already using a remote FTP solution to not touch the card anymore, and I will check for a 5v power adapter with a switch.

Thanks again, you're all great ;)
bazza_12
Top Contributor

i plug and unplug my sdcard all the time, never had any issues..
Blitzwing

bazza_12 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:40 am i plug and unplug my sdcard all the time, never had any issues..
Neither have I but I have read in a few places now about the slot being a little on the fragile side, what truth there is to it I don't know but best to be safe.
Blitzwing

Phoenix wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:33 am I've received the new de10 nano and everything is working fine with it, the already prepared 200go card is booting, no issues when saving any kind of parameters... I mount every extension and still no issues... So yes, the first one I received has a problem with its SD card slot!

Once again thanks to all, but what you're saying Blitzwing scares me a bit... I though that at this price those components would be more "solid" and reliable :shock:

Now my fear is to damage anything :lol: So I'm already using a remote FTP solution to not touch the card anymore, and I will check for a 5v power adapter with a switch.

Thanks again, you're all great ;)
My intention wasn't to scare you :lol: like I said in my reply to bazza I've not had any issues but have read about it "being fragile" in a few places so just figured best to be safe with what is really a not inexpensive toy.

I put my MiSTer in a PC case so I use an extension cable for the SD slot and the main storage is all on an external drive, and like you I transfer remotely most of the things I have on it anyway.

Maybe I'm too cautious but having already damaged one De10 with static discharge I'm a bit careful now.

Glad you got it sorted, have fun 👍
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Blitzwing wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:37 pm I put my MiSTer in a PC case so I use an extension cable for the SD slot
i must admit i've started to use an extention cable over the last few weeks mainly cos my SDCard is frequently in and out..
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

I have been close one or two times to buying a sd card extension cable but i never unplug the sd card only use ftp anyway so probably do not need one :P
But i would have bought one (or five) if i unplugged it regulary.
EarnNES

Unread post by EarnNES »

Im just reviving this thread because i've never, ever gotten my DE-10 to boot off of anything other than the 8GB SD card that was included. I have tried Samsung Evo and Sandisk. All SD cards work just find outside of Mister. I've used them for Rpi retro builds writing full on huge images without any issues.

But for the life of me my DE-10 just wont work. If I put in the 8GB included SD card it works just fine and I see the red power LED light up. Strangely enough, when I put my 500GB samsung evo SD card, I just get a black screen and the red power LED will not light up.

I tried so many things when I first got this months ago but just got frustrated and gave up. Today I decided to revisit this, went to the github downloaded the latest version of Mr. Fusion, wrote the image without any issues, and same exact issue. Black screen! I put in the 8GB SD card that it came with and boots just fine.

Thoughts?