Problem with display, terminal and running scripts

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
MatteKalle

Problem with display, terminal and running scripts

Unread post by MatteKalle »

Soo, I have just got my preassembled and preconfigured Mister and I am trying to get started.
I first put some snes roms in and saw that it was working on my CRT but after that I have run into some other trouble. I have searched for information and tried some stuff my self but it seems like I am stuck and in need off help.

My setup is a Mister FPGA from manuferhi.com connected with vga>scart to my B&O MX7000 CRT.
I also have bought a Edimax EW-7811un v2 to get my Mister connected with wifi.

So after trying to get the wifi working I learned that my device won't work out off the box. Although I found this which should help me to get it to work - https://github.com/icelaglace/MiSTer_WiFi_EW-7811UNv2 .
When trying to do the last step in the installation it did not work, I can't get into the terminal with f9. I also tried going into scripts to run some other script and I then got this information:
"
If you see this then you need to modify mister.ini
Either disable framebuffer: fb_terminal=0
or enable scaler on VGA: vga_scaler=1
"
I tried disabling framebuffer but that did not do any difference.
When I tried enabling the vga scaler my TV won't accept the signal or something (distorted screen flicker).

I then also tried to connect my Mister to my hdtv with hdmi. Here I can enter the terminal (f9) but I only see a fraction of the text, the rest of the text is outside off the edge off the TV. Seems like it is trying to display a bigger picture then it should.
I can see that this tv outputs 720p and if I understand it correct it should be 1080p. I don't know if this is the answer too why it displays it wrong. Anyhow I have not been able to figure out how to fix this either.

Many thanx in advance for any help that I can get =).
MatteKalle

Re: Problem with display, terminal and running scripts

This is how my mister.ini looks like right now.

[MiSTer]
key_menu_as_rgui=0 ; set to 1 to make the MENU key map to RGUI in Minimig (e.g. for Right Amiga)
forced_scandoubler=0 ; set to 1 to run scandoubler on VGA output always (depends on core).
ypbpr=0 ; set to 1 for YPbPr on VGA output.
composite_sync=1 ; set to 1 for composite sync on HSync signal of VGA output.
vga_scaler=0 ; set to 1 to connect VGA to scaler output.
hdmi_audio_96k=0 ; set to 1 for 96khz/16bit HDMI audio (48khz/16bit otherwise)
keyrah_mode=0x18d80002 ; VIDPID of keyrah for special code translation (0x23418037 for Arduino Micro)
volumectl=0 ; enable audio volume control by multimedia keys
vscale_mode=0 ; 0 - scale to fit the screen height.
; 1 - use integer scale only.
; 2 - use 0.5 steps of scale.
; 3 - use 0.25 steps of scale.
vscale_border=0 ; set vertical border for TVs cutting the upper/bottom parts of screen (1-99)
;bootscreen=0 ; uncomment to disable boot screen of some cores like Minimig.
;mouse_throttle=10 ; 1-100 mouse speed divisor. Useful for very sensitive mouses
rbf_hide_datecode=0 ; 1 - hides datecodes from rbf file names. Press F2 for quick temporary toggle

; USER button emulation by keybaord. Usually it's reset button.
; 0 - lctrl+lalt+ralt (lctrl+lgui+rgui on keyrah)
; 1 - lctrl+lgui+rgui
; 2 - lctrl+lalt+del
; 3 - same as 0 (lctrl+lalt+ralt on keyrah)
reset_combo=0

dvi_mode=0 ; set to 1 for DVI mode. Audio won't be transmitted through HDMI in DVI mode.

; 0 - 1280x720@60
; 1 - 1024x768@60
; 2 - 720x480@60
; 3 - 720x576@50
; 4 - 1280x1024@60
; 5 - 800x600@60
; 6 - 640x480@60
; 7 - 1280x720@50
; 8 - 1920x1080@60
; 9 - 1920x1080@50
;10 - 1366x768@60
;11 - 1024x600@60
;
; custom mode: hact,hfp,hs,hbp,vact,vfp,vs,vbp,Fpix_in_KHz
; video_mode=1280,110,40,220,720,5,5,20,74250
video_mode=0

; set to 1-10 (seconds) to display video info on startup/change
video_info=0

; Set to 1 for automatic HDMI VSync rate adjust to match original VSync.
; Set to 2 for low latency mode (single buffer).
; This option makes video butter smooth like on original emulated system.
; Adjusting is done by changing pixel clock. Not every display supports variable pixel clock.
; For proper adjusting and to reduce possible out of range pixel clock, use 60Hz HDMI video
; modes as a base even for 50Hz systems.
vsync_adjust=0
AtomicShroom

Unread post by AtomicShroom »

MatteKalle wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:03 pm I then also tried to connect my Mister to my hdtv with hdmi. Here I can enter the terminal (f9) but I only see a fraction of the text, the rest of the text is outside off the edge off the TV. Seems like it is trying to display a bigger picture then it should.
I can see that this tv outputs 720p and if I understand it correct it should be 1080p. I don't know if this is the answer too why it displays it wrong. Anyhow I have not been able to figure out how to fix this either.
Most TVs by default apply a small level of overscanning and don't display the entire picture. There is usually an option hiding somewhere that you need to toggle to turn off that crap.

For example on my Samsung TV, this option is located under Picture > Picture Size Settings > Fit to Screen, and I need to set that to On to remove the overscan.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

I don't think there's an easy way to display terminal on 240p and have it look not crap. I would either get a small LCD monitor, or there are ways to shell into the terminal remotely, or just edit your ini file over ftp or samba.
MatteKalle

AtomicShroom wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:33 pm Most TVs by default apply a small level of overscanning and don't display the entire picture. There is usually an option hiding somewhere that you need to toggle to turn off that crap.

For example on my Samsung TV, this option is located under Picture > Picture Size Settings > Fit to Screen, and I need to set that to On to remove the overscan.
So this actually helped. I found the setting on my HDTV and I can now use the terminal on my Mister. I guess I have to switch to that TV when I want to run scripts, not the best but at least it works now. Thank you! =).

But I got stuck again...
I am trying to to write the code as it says on the github page (see my previous post) but It won't work.
I have zero knowledge about linux so maybe it is something really simple that I am missing.
I have placed the ko-file in /lib/modules/4.19.0-socfpga-r1/ and I have also placed rtl8188eufw.bin in /lib/firmware/rtlwifi (the last part is from the troubleshoot section on the page).
I had to create all these folders first so I get the feeling that I may be missing something...

This is how it looks for me when I try to run the code.
Attachments
IMG_1918.jpg
IMG_1918.jpg (460.16 KiB) Viewed 3597 times
MatteKalle

This thread can be closed. I will ask my new question in a new one.