Just starting out and have some questions

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
Slugman8

Just starting out and have some questions

Unread post by Slugman8 »

Please help with some basic questions - I'm still reading at LOT and have much to learn!

FYI - I have the Standard IO and USB boards and 128mb ram and I did the update and update all scrips following some YouTube guides to get going.

I have a Dell Ultrascan P790 CRT that I would like to use if possible (don't think this does 15hz as I get a signal range error)
I would like to mainly use the MiSTer for the Amiga and AO486 (DOS/WIn95/98), but also would like to play around with all the other Computer systems and game cores, etc.

How would I setup the configuration ini file for this? I have read about the screen modes and seen some examples but I don't think I understand as I can't make it work.

Also, what is the second SD card port used for on the IO board, and is it normal that most of the Computer cores don't work without me doing something else as so far I only see a few working like ZX81, BBC Micro, etc. and others like Spectrum NEXT, ZX Spectrum just give a blank screen. Am I missing BIOS or ROMS and if so where do I get those (happy to purchase as I did with Amiga Forever) ?

Last question, what are all those other scripts for (some sound obvious) or where is the documentation on those.

I did find some good YouTube tutorials but most seem out of date now as the MiSTer version has been updated and I see different options that are not covered.

THANK YOU for any help
Captain FPGA

Re: Just starting out and have some questions

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

Far as one of your questions goes the second SD on the I/O is used for additional storage.

You are correct on the computer cores or at least the ao486 it requires mounting. I'd tell you more but I'm still trying to figure the thing out myself.
Dreams don't die!
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

Slugman8 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:28 pm Also, what is the second SD card port used for on the IO board, and is it normal that most of the Computer cores don't work without me doing something else as so far I only see a few working like ZX81, BBC Micro, etc. and others like Spectrum NEXT, ZX Spectrum just give a blank screen. Am I missing BIOS or ROMS and if so where do I get those (happy to purchase as I did with Amiga Forever) ?
second sdcard slot is currently used with the x68000 and the spectrum next cores..
zx spectrum needs the boot.rom copying to work. information >> https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/ZX-Spectrum_MISTer
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Slugman8 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:28 pmAlso, what is the second SD card port used for on the IO board, and is it normal that most of the Computer cores don't work without me doing something else as so far I only see a few working like ZX81, BBC Micro, etc. and others like Spectrum NEXT, ZX Spectrum just give a blank screen. Am I missing BIOS or ROMS and if so where do I get those (happy to purchase as I did with Amiga Forever) ?
In general every official core has an own page on Github with detailed instructions on how to set it up, here is the one for the Amiga:

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Minimig-AGA_MiSTer

You will get the hang of it after getting 2 or 3 cores running because you will see it is mostly the same that has to be done: looking up in the instructions if the core needs a BIOS and looking up how the BIOS should be named when you copy it to the folder of the core.
How would I setup the configuration ini file for this? I have read about the screen modes and seen some examples but I don't think I understand as I can't make it work.
The mister.ini file has a detailed explanation on what the settings mean:

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... MiSTer.ini

I am pretty sure the Dell has no 15 KHz so you need to enable the VGA scaler to 1 in the ini. That's all. Pick a resolution you like and you you are good to go.
Last question, what are all those other scripts for (some sound obvious) or where is the documentation on those.
I am not aware of any central place that explains all scripts for MiSTer (at least not on the Github), so you have to ask in the forum about specific scripts. But update or update_all are by far the most important. MiSTer_ini_settings can be helpful it lets you edit the ini settings directly on your MiSTer. Never used the other scripts as far as I remember.
I did find some good YouTube tutorials but most seem out of date now as the MiSTer version has been updated and I see different options that are not covered.
Youtube tutorials are fine, but as you say if they are outdated they become useless. In general I prefer the Github pages of the MiSTer over these tutorials, because they are updated once new features are introduced and most of the time they are very clear and easy to follow. Start here:

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

For the ao486 + PC CRT monitor check this thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2375
Put the settings in your mister.ini and download and swap the "mister" file in the root directory. This method should give perfect VGA image both in DOS and (most) games, without it you will have artifacts, at least in DOS mode. The custom "mister" file might interfere with other cores though, I haven't checked myself, so if something's wrong swap the file back to the original.

I' don't think any core actually requires the use of the I/O SD slot. Some microcomputer cores need the boot.rom to work, or perhaps some other files (like C64 for loader roms), it's best to just check the wiki for each as there a lot of useful info. The .rom files are usually in the repo in the "releases" directory.

Here's also an unofficial "manual" for the micros: https://github.com/adreeve/MiSTerManual/
Chris23235
Top Contributor

akeley wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:17 am For the ao486 + PC CRT monitor check this thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2375
Put the settings in your mister.ini and download and swap the "mister" file in the root directory. This method should give perfect VGA image both in DOS and (most) games, without it you will have artifacts, at least in DOS mode. The custom "mister" file might interfere with other cores though, I haven't checked myself, so if something's wrong swap the file back to the original.

I' don't think any core actually requires the use of the I/O SD slot. Some microcomputer cores need the boot.rom to work, or perhaps some other files (like C64 for loader roms), it's best to just check the wiki for each as there a lot of useful info. The .rom files are usually in the repo in the "releases" directory.

Here's also an unofficial "manual" for the micros: https://github.com/adreeve/MiSTerManual/
To be honest I would restrain from modified MiSTer files unless you want to use a specific version of a core without doing any future updates to this core file. The MiSTer from this thread is from the beginning of April. Since then several main updates were released that are mandatory to some core so this MiSTer file certainly breaks other cores now. I get what the idea is behind the change, but I think for someone who is new to the whole MiSTer and is still trying to get things sorted out this may do more harm then good.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

I disagree. In my opinion it's much better to have all the information from the start, instead of wondering why something is off with the DOS display and possibly waste many hours reading through scattered threads while trying heaps of different settings (been there, done that). Especially seeing as OP mentioned it's one of the 2 main cores they're interested in.

As it is, this method is the best for displaying ao486 on a PC CRT monitor at the moment. It's up to OP to choose if he wants to go with it (and swap files occasionally, or even have two SD cards) or stick with the artifacted display for the sake of convenience.
Slugman8

Unread post by Slugman8 »

Thank you ALL for the guidance, ideas, and links! I think I am really starting to understand this better now and may be using a dedicated SD card for a particular setup could be a good idea for my needs, at least while I am still learning so much!

I set the vga_scaler=1 and forced_scandoubler=1 along with video_mode=5 to get my crt working with the Mister UI and now understand I need to configure each core per the Github for each system.

When the instructions state to copy the .rbf to the root folder and the boot.rom to the games/spectrum/ folder, where is the root? I'm in media/fat and I see _Computer as a folder with rbf files in it. I'm guessing I don't go up past /media/ and put is in the SD card root?

I'm still reading the wiki but as a beginner I will say although the comments explain what to set to turn things on or off, not knowing all the technical bits it is hard to know if I need it on or off. I think that is where I need to learn a lot more, such as ypbpr=0 and the guide says set to 1 for YPbPr on VGA output...but I have no idea what that is or if I need it :-(

Once again thank you, this is a great project and community!
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

One thing to think/wonder about if you are using several sd cards or plug in/out one sd card often is that the sd card slot on the DE-10 nano is pretty bad.
Some do this and it works ok for them others have done it and had to buy a new de-10.

On solution to this is to buy a sd card extension cable https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sd+card+extension and then make sure that the de-10 end is out of the way and also secured in some way so it is hard to move it even when the other end is moving a bit.
I would probably buy 2 or 3 so i have one IF the first one wants to fight.
i do not think i would be comfortable to constantly plug in/out a sd card in the de-10 without any sd card extension.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Slugman8 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:16 pm

When the instructions state to copy the .rbf to the root folder and the boot.rom to the games/spectrum/ folder, where is the root? I'm in media/fat and I see _Computer as a folder with rbf files in it. I'm guessing I don't go up past /media/ and put is in the SD card root?
Nowadays all computer-cores are stored by the update script in the _computer folder, so this is where the rbf files go. In theory you can put the rbf file in the root directory (media/fat) but by default cores are sorted in consoles and computers with these folders.

On the root folder level you will also find folders that contain the contents (roms, images, bios files, etc) for the different cores. They usually have the name of the computer/console (e.g. Spectrum, NES, etc.). Bios roms go into the highest level of these folders. You are free to organise everything else the way you like within these folders. The folders are created by the updater script. You can also create a directory media/fat/games and put all these folders in games if you want. The cores will look into this folder first if it exists.
I'm still reading the wiki but as a beginner I will say although the comments explain what to set to turn things on or off, not knowing all the technical bits it is hard to know if I need it on or off. I think that is where I need to learn a lot more, such as ypbpr=0 and the guide says set to 1 for YPbPr on VGA output...but I have no idea what that is or if I need it :-(
YPbPr is only needed, when you want to connect a non VGA CRT to your MiSTer (e.g. a PVM or an Amiga CRT).