My Mistakes with MiSTer

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
damopinn

My Mistakes with MiSTer

Unread post by damopinn »

I just want to share my experiences with my mister. I'm very happy with it, but I've also done some crazy stuff.

1 I connected to 12v.
I had to repair the overvoltage circuit and replace the 2.5v chip, Now it's working ok again. ( I put yellow heat shrink on the conecctors so this wont happen again)

2 I connected sdram wrong way round.
This burnt out the ao3415 on the overvoltage circuit. I replaced the burnt components now it works but memory was not detected in the test, maybe it was burnt so I built another, this didnt work either, i reflowed pins on the connector (for fun). I checked voltages on the test points they look good. I checked the pins of the connector using a multimeter in diode mode they all look ok. I cleaned the connector with some contact cleaner and now I have my memory module that runs at 160. I never had it run so well before. The de10 nano is a very repairable board and the complete schematic is availlable which makes it easy to repair.

I hope no one has any of the same accidents I had, but all hope is not lost, it may be fixable if you know someone or perhaps a mobile repair shop could help.
pacoarcade

Re: My Mistakes with MiSTer

Unread post by pacoarcade »

Congratulations for your repairs.

My mistake was not discharging myself before touching the Nano being near a CRT. I felt a discharge when touching the middle button, even using a full case. Fortunately it apparently still works perfect, although I may have damaged the MiSTer, so I got a backup Nano just in case.

Beware of the ESD!
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Touch wood, but my only mistake so far was not getting MiSTer earlier ;)
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Good job fixing everything. This is a good reminder for anyone new to this to really take their time and read the manual for the de10-nano, read the wiki, look at pictures and heed warnings. :)
birdybro~
damopinn

If I was a newb it wouldn't be that bad but I have had the mister for a while now (2+years), I should know better but decided to do some late night tinkering. I can't see without glasses but put the memory module anyway,
Being careful is super important especially with Mister, I will be super careful from now on.
I dont know if it's related but before I used to get a glitchy screen when loading core after core but I haven't seen that since I fixed it.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

damopinn wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:44 am ( I put yellow heat shrink on the conecctors so this wont happen again)
As in mark the line (if yes what line?) or so it can not be plugged in again?
If it is marking then the standard atx colors is yellow for 12v and red for 5v, so probably is a good idé to follow those.
siskavard

Unread post by siskavard »

pacoarcade wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:03 am Congratulations for your repairs.

My mistake was not discharging myself before touching the Nano being near a CRT. I felt a discharge when touching the middle button, even using a full case. Fortunately it apparently still works perfect, although I may have damaged the MiSTer, so I got a backup Nano just in case.

Beware of the ESD!
I hadn't thought of this - is it a bad idea to have my Mister next to my CRT tv?
damopinn

grizzly wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:23 am
damopinn wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:44 am ( I put yellow heat shrink on the conecctors so this wont happen again)
As in mark the line (if yes what line?) or so it can not be plugged in again?
If it is marking then the standard atx colors is yellow for 12v and red for 5v, so probably is a good idé to follow those.
I put some yellow heatshrink around the end of the connector so when I have a mess of connectors I can easily see the correct one. Yeah if you follow atx colors then yellow is 12v, but for me any color is okay as long as I can easily see it's the correct cable. It's still possible to plug in the wrong cable because I aslo have 12v adapters for some external harddisk which are the same size.
pacoarcade

Unread post by pacoarcade »

siskavard wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:40 am I hadn't thought of this - is it a bad idea to have my Mister next to my CRT tv?
My problem was getting charged from the TV and later pressing a MiSTer button, not just putting it near the CRT.
Blitzwing

Unread post by Blitzwing »

My mistake was putting mine in a metal pc case with no grounding and metal external buttons and having a chair that builds static charge like crazy. Shorted one of the gates used for the LEDs permanently 🤦 beware the dreaded static folks.
Mellified

Unread post by Mellified »

You are thinking of this all wrong!

From now on, when you miss a jump in a platformer, you have to touch the case. See how long before you improve!
jurkevicz

Unread post by jurkevicz »

My mister Micro USB stopped working after a power Surge. Is there anyone in the US willing
to check what is wrong with it?
Slypty

Unread post by Slypty »

A friend brought me a dead DE-10, I think he plugged it in with the wrong polarity. I just get a red 3.3V blinking light, and flashing 8 LEDs.

I'm wondering, if I install a JTAG connector at J8, can I use a USB Blaster 1, instead of going with the USB USB Blaster II Connection?

Also, is there a schematic that shows the fuse locations and general transistor part names etc, to make troubleshooting a bit easier? Thanks

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

props to you being so open about being an idiot :mrgreen:

Krathoon

Unread post by Krathoon »

The SDRAM is usually marked on which way it should face. I was going to add a switch turn mine off.