Can't connect MiSTer to FTP

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
filthyromance

Can't connect MiSTer to FTP

Unread post by filthyromance »

Falling at the first hurdle when trying to add ROMS. I connected the MiSTer to my router via ethernet (BT Smart Hub). I see the assigned IP address. Using this (plus username root and password 1) in my FTP client, and it just says 'could not connect to server. connection refused'. Tried switching off the Firewall, made no difference.

What am I doing wrong?
jca
Top Contributor

Re: Can't connect MiSTer to FTP

Unread post by jca »

If you got a pre-built system check that the FTP server is running on MISTer as it seems that some vendors turn it off. They are Scripts to turn it on/off.
filthyromance

jca wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:44 pm If you got a pre-built system check that the FTP server is running on MISTer as it seems that some vendors turn it off. They are Scripts to turn it on/off.
Haha. Wow that was easy :lol:

Now, the strangest thing. When I choose ant console, I just get a single game - no option to choose a game (and Neo Geo doesn't event load, just white screen). If I choose Genesis, I just get Sonic The Hedgehog. When I look in games on the SD, Sonic isn't even in there - there are 5 in total, one of which is Sonic 2.

The Mystery of MiSSter :shock:
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I have one question regarding your FTP problem: did the vendor send you some documentation indicating that FTP was off? If you plan to use SSH check if it is on. No one reported it as being off but who knows.
filthyromance

jca wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:17 pm I have one question regarding your FTP problem: did the vendor send you some documentation indicating that FTP was off? If you plan to use SSH check if it is on. No one reported it as being off but who knows.
There was nothing mentioned about FTP and no documentation at all. But it was indeed off, and as soon as I switched it on, I got in.

Why I’m not seeing the games that appear in the games folder is another matter…! I’ve asked the question.
paintbox

Unread post by paintbox »

Maybe a silly question, but you're using the menu/osd button after you load the core, right? F12 on keyboard, or whatever button/combo you setup on your controller. Or the middle button on the Mister itself if you have a standard IO addon.

Many cores can be customized to autostart a specific rom. The menu button should always work regardless of what the core is doing, if that doesn't show you the contents of the /media/fat/games/Genesis from the Genesis core, something seems fairly broken.
filthyromance

Maybe I set the controller up wrong. Or maybe just using it wrong. I use the A button on the buffalo SNES pad to select. So if I want to play forgotten worlds I choose arcade > unofficial > cps1 > forgotten worlds. This works fine.

For every console, as soon as I choose a core, it loads a single game. So console > genesis loads Sonic 1. I have no choice of game. And as mentioned - when I look inside the genesis games folder, sonic 1 isn’t even in there!!
Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

If you have another SD card, try and start fresh with a clean install that's by the book.
filthyromance

I will try that next week, but wasn’t expecting to have to faff around like this, was the whole reason I bought a ‘plug and play’ package. Hmm.
zakk4223

Unread post by zakk4223 »

filthyromance wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:06 pm Maybe I set the controller up wrong. Or maybe just using it wrong. I use the A button on the buffalo SNES pad to select. So if I want to play forgotten worlds I choose arcade > unofficial > cps1 > forgotten worlds. This works fine.

For every console, as soon as I choose a core, it loads a single game. So console > genesis loads Sonic 1. I have no choice of game. And as mentioned - when I look inside the genesis games folder, sonic 1 isn’t even in there!!
That's because whoever set it up has 'boot roms' set up for some of the console cores. I think they're in /media/fat/bootroms? I know one of the popular 'mister packs' had some of these setup for various console cores, probably so when people boot them up they aren't just faced with a black screen.

Those games won't show up in your rom list, because they are separate single file roms placed in a special location. You should just be able to bring up the OSD, go to one of the 'load' menu entries, and pick a rom to load from there.
filthyromance

zakk4223 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:53 pm
filthyromance wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:06 pm Maybe I set the controller up wrong. Or maybe just using it wrong. I use the A button on the buffalo SNES pad to select. So if I want to play forgotten worlds I choose arcade > unofficial > cps1 > forgotten worlds. This works fine.

That's because whoever set it up has 'boot roms' set up for some of the console cores. I think they're in /media/fat/bootroms? I know one of the popular 'mister packs' had some of these setup for various console cores, probably so when people boot them up they aren't just faced with a black screen.

Those games won't show up in your rom list, because they are separate single file roms placed in a special location. You should just be able to bring up the OSD, go to one of the 'load' menu entries, and pick a rom to load from there.
Ok great. This is really useful info. (Some might even say crucial info!). To be fair CPS1 has been keeping me very busy and happy so far. On first assessment I’m pretty sure the MiSTer will eventually replace everything else I own, which is part of what I was hoping for!
filthyromance

So, to summarise, and help for anyone else running into these issues:

- FTP may be turned off by default, and needs to be turned on. Go to Scripts and choose ftp_on.
- When selecting a console core you can get two outcomes: white screen or a game (with no choice for the latter). If white screen (Neo Geo in my case), select load roms. If the game starts straight away - no white screen - hit menu and load roms to choose.