shared CIFS saves question

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
djsquare

shared CIFS saves question

Unread post by djsquare »

I've been using a shared folder on my PC between three MiSTers on my network. It's been great to be able to share Sega CD games in a single location between all of them without having to FTP all the games to each of the MiSTer's SD card. It saves time and SD card space. It had me thinking, would it possible to share the "saves" folder in /media/fat? All this time I've been manually transferring game saves between them and it would awesome if all three of these MiSTers just shared the same save folder.

But then again it always defaults to the SD card each time the CIFS is mounted. I tried to take a look at the script to try find a solution but to be honest I'm really only skilled enough to set everything up and this is a little above my head.
Malan

Re: shared CIFS saves question

Unread post by Malan »

Yes of course! You can mount any folder except the special ones (such as "linux").
All you have to do is to move (not copy) every files in the "saves" folder from your SD card to your shared folder and it's done. Just check that the "saves" folder is empty on your SD card or it won't mount.
djsquare

Thank you, I'll need to figure out to adjust the script to enable two paths for the mounts like

/media/fat/ <-saves
/media/fat/games <-for the games

you can have two right?
Malan

Unread post by Malan »

By default the cifs_mount.sh script mounts every folders (except linux and config), so you don't have to do any ajustment, you just have to move your folders in your sharded folders.
djsquare

you know you're right now that I think about it. I manually changed the path in the script because I only used it for games. If I just copy the file hierarchy as it is on the SD Card all should work, rather than just game folders. Thanks again. I know this was stupid question
Malan

Unread post by Malan »

There's no stupid question, I'm sure it will help some other people too, you're welcome :)