USB Hub Broken After Last Update

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
John

Re: USB Hub Broken After Last Update

Unread post by John »

jca wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:26 pm I do not know anything about FileZilla, I think it only does file transfer, I use Putty. Once you are logged and are at the Linux prompt type:
cd /media/fat/Scripts
./update.sh
I tried Putty and it was very easy to run the updatescript via the terminal. Learned something new today.
Unfortunately after the update the USB devices still do not work so I guess it is back to the drawing board for more troubleshooting :cry:
I thank everyone who helped me so far. It is much appreciated.

John
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

starquake wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:00 pm I get the feeling your main priority is to be right instead of being constructive, but I might be reading too much into it.
I'm just trying to help people through my limited knowledge. I want them to enjoy what I enjoy without hassle, not to validate myself by being "right".

I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression with my tone :(
NerdENerd

Unread post by NerdENerd »

I am having the same issue, issue is in a clean SD card created with SD-Installer-Win64_MiSTer release_20210831.7z but release_20210825.rar is fine.
esmith13

Unread post by esmith13 »

lamarax wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:16 pm I don't know if this is of relevance to your particular issue, but whenever the linux image gets updated in the main repository (which you should check beforehand as a precaution), always run the official update script instead of update_all. The system must be rebooted immediately before any subsequent write on the SD card, lest you want to risk corruption!
Directly running the official updater is not necessary.
The Update_All script extracts and applies the linux os update LAST (via the official updater) and reboots immediately after it is completed.
John

Unread post by John »

Ok I tried some things out.

1. I booted from the original Linux SD (which came with the Nano DE-10) and tested the USB hub. Mouse and Keyboard did not work. If the Mister update broke anything at least this should have worked in my opinion.
2. I connected the Nano DE-10's USB OTG port directly to my PC. According to the Nano DE-10 manual this should make the SD-card from Mister visible as a mass storage device. But nothing happened.

I have no means to test my USB hub since I have no other devices which connect to Micro USB A/B. But I think from the above tests the conclusion can me drawn that the port on the Mister is damaged. :cry:
What can you make of this?

John
esmith13

Unread post by esmith13 »

John wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:48 pm Ok I tried some things out.

1. I booted from the original Linux SD (which came with the Nano DE-10) and tested the USB hub. Mouse and Keyboard did not work. If the Mister update broke anything at least this should have worked in my opinion.
2. I connected the Nano DE-10's USB OTG port directly to my PC. According to the Nano DE-10 manual this should make the SD-card from Mister visible as a mass storage device. But nothing happened.

I have no means to test my USB hub since I have no other devices which connect to Micro USB A/B. But I think from the above tests the conclusion can me drawn that the port on the Mister is damaged. :cry:

John
Have you tried installing an older linux OS version yet? (sorry if I missed it in the thread)
I ask because in another thread some others had OTG hubs stop working after the recent update and after rolling back to the older Linux OS the hub worked fine. Those with this issue have been able to reliably repeat the results - upgrade OS and hub is "dead", downgrade OS and it works again.
John

Unread post by John »

esmith13 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:52 pm
John wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:48 pm Ok I tried some things out.

John
Have you tried installing an older linux OS version yet? (sorry if I missed it in the thread)
I ask because in another thread some others had OTG hubs stop working after the recent update and after rolling back to the older Linux OS the hub worked fine. Those with this issue have been able to reliably repeat the results - upgrade OS and hub is "dead", downgrade OS and it works again.
No I haven't. I wasn't sure how to do that and they told me that the issues were fixed in the scripts so I rerun update_all (did not work).

I will definitely try to roll back (what is the best way to do this, I think both Mister main and Linux needs to be downgraded?).

But even then, it would not explain that my orginal SD (with an older version of linux on it doesn't work either and that the DE-10 is not recognized through the same port on my PC.
NerdENerd

To rollback pick an older build from here

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/SD-Inst ... n64_MiSTer

Try release_20210711. Choose boot+files to leave your games intact and roll back to the older version of Linux and Mister.
John

Unread post by John »

I copied the folders linux and scripts and the file menu.rbf to the fat partition (replacing the old files).
My next step would have been to run the update script from putty and I assumed files would then be copied to the linux partition.
However after I copied the files I could not connect to the mister anymore (both Putty and FileZilla).
So I think my copy operation was not the way to go?
NerdENerd

You should put the SD card in a Windows machine and run the installer, boot+files option in the installer copies Linux and Mister to the SD card and leaves the rest of your installation alone.

You have probably reverted back to the default root password which is 1. Try and connect with root and password 1.
John

Unread post by John »

NerdENerd wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:49 pm You should put the SD card in a Windows machine and run the installer, boot+files option in the installer copies Linux and Mister to the SD card and leaves the rest of your installation alone.

You have probably reverted back to the default root password which is 1. Try and connect with root and password 1.
I did not change the password (no reason to do that). I used the installer on windows to roll back and everything works again!
Big sigh! Thanks everyone who contributed with answers.
I know I will never update again.
Unless maybe when the minimig core is vastly improved and the CPU is made cycle accurate :-)

John
Shogun

Unread post by Shogun »

So I just wanted to say I experienced this problem about a year or so ago. I was new to using update all and the initial use ran fine. I updated at some point and my USB port stopped working. I thought I had broken my USB port due to having a hub dangling from it so I actually bought another DE10. When the hub worked on the new DE10 I realized something was up.

Long story short the update all script caused my USB port to stop working. I'm not sure what caused it but doing a fresh vanilla install from the official Mister FPGA instructions fixed the issue for me. I've since been able to use update all without issue however I haven't used it recently.
DanHero

Unread post by DanHero »

Hi, my issue is a bit different. Before the fated update I used a Hub I got from a retro, japanese only console called the tretrofreak and everything worked out of the box. I was able to use Super Famicom, NES, Master System, PCE and Megadrive pads flawlessly. Now when I try to config the pad in the Mister's options page, the only the D-Pad is recognized and the buttons can't be assigned. Weird(est) issue is that, with the Super Famicom pad, the left, right, select and start can be assigned, but the face buttons are invisible! Other USB pad work great, I tried a super cheap saturn like pad and the xbox wired controller and both do their job...
madmax

Unread post by madmax »

The usb hub....sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt, sometime it acts weird, I have to play like a DJ by swapping BT dongle, WIFI and controllers to the right port depending the position of the moon and the weather. tried with a cheap OTG dongle, problems solved...

I have two misters, 3A AC adapters, countless of duplicate USB controllers (retrobit, 8-Bit do, Xbox 360, HORI RAP, etc) so it is not because of defective hardware or power supply issue.

I really hope a new redesigned IO board including 2 or 3 additional USB ports so I can get rid off that 7 USB ports hub abomination. even cheap chinese otg usb hub on amazon work better. lol.
NerdENerd

The issue is in the Linux kernal update and has nothing to do with update_all as the script is just installing the official update which is what causes the issue.
John

Unread post by John »

Last weekend I thought I would give it another try and run update_all. It seemed like the issues all had been solved in the latest updates.
Unfortunately the same thing happened: no USB functionality again. I used different USB hubs but to no avail.
I rolled back to the July update which I could do fairly fast since I now knew what to do.
Clearly there are still issues with the drivers so I would advice everybody not to update.
Cebion

Unread post by Cebion »

John wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:44 pm Last weekend I thought I would give it another try and run update_all. It seemed like the issues all had been solved in the latest updates.
Unfortunately the same thing happened: no USB functionality again. I used different USB hubs but to no avail.
I rolled back to the July update which I could do fairly fast since I now knew what to do.
Clearly there are still issues with the drivers so I would advice everybody not to update.
I replaced my usb hub with a newer revision and everything works perfect again.
caad

Unread post by caad »

Well, all is not fine if the software requires the latest official USB hub, imho.
Cebion

Unread post by Cebion »

caad wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:55 am Well, all is not fine if the software requires the latest official USB hub, imho.
To be fair, my old board was populated to the bare minimum.
caad

Unread post by caad »

Hm. What parts did you leave out?
Cebion

Unread post by Cebion »

caad wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:25 pm Hm. What parts did you leave out?
R12, R14, R18, R19, R20 for example.
Also my leds stopped working on my old one after the update. But also installling older versions didn't help after that.